OUR IMAGES

Daddy long legs spider

Dawn

default Daddy long legs spider

Post by Dawn on Tue 22 Nov 2011, 2:17 am

This was in the shower room in the corner, we seem to have lots of spiders this season ? I found this article very interesting as I had also heard they had a potent poison but were too small to bite hence not a threat!
    an extract from this wiki link
    "There is an urban legend stating that daddy long-legs spiders have the most potent venom of any spider, but that their chelicerae (fangs) are either too small or too weak to puncture human skin; the same legend is also repeated of the harvestman and crane fly, also called "daddy long-legs" in some locales. Indeed, pholcid spiders do have a short fang structure (called uncate). However, brown recluse spiders also have uncate fang structure, but are able to deliver medically significant bites. Either pholcid venom is not toxic to humans or there is a musculature difference between the two arachnids, with recluses, being hunting spiders, possessing stronger muscles for fang penetration"

Wiki link to Daddy Long Legs Article

Last edited by Dawn on Tue 22 Nov 2011, 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add photo)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Daddy long legs spider

Post by Joy on Wed 30 Nov 2011, 11:02 am

Thanks for these pics, Dawn. :cool3: The daddy long-legs is, certainly, a very ubiquitous spider. We get quite a few in our place, then, suddenly, many seem to disappear. I think they do a bit of population control amongst themselves. :whistle: :cool4: I love seeing them vibrate their webs when you touch them or remove the web material.

Have heard that about the spider's venom, but only once, so I have never worried about them at all. Just think of them as our frontline defence against mozzies. :lol!: Our inhouse huntsman has nothing to fear from them either, despite the wiki article saying they prey on huntsman spiders, as it is miles bigger than they are. Think they are just snacks for it. :good:

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 1:16 am