OUR IMAGES

Stapelia Gigantea

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Stapelia Gigantea

Post by Joy on Sun 05 Feb 2012, 4:23 pm

The new extensions on the top of many of the stapelia gigantea stems have grown so big. There are also many buds, all concentrated in the one area, too.

Post by Guest on Sun 12 Feb 2012, 10:35 pm

Joy they are beautiful ,my Stapelis gigantia is flowering and when I saw it this morning is was an exciting moment really made my dsy as it was my first flower.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 13 Feb 2012, 8:33 am

Congratulations, Pixie!! :bravo: That is wonderful news. Stapelia gigantea flowers are really something, aren't they?? :cool3: Do hope your plant will have plenty more. :apgw:

Mine seems to have many buds all in the same spot. Some will not develop but I hope at least one or two will grow & flower.

PS. It is good to hear from you, Pixie. :wave: Have been a wee bit concerned about how the big wet has been affecting you & your magical garden. :smile:

Post by Guest on Mon 13 Feb 2012, 10:59 am

What wet ?? We have had a very dry january and virtually only a few light showers this month.
    I have had the sprinklers going for months. our area seems to be missing all the heavy rain. The monsoon season seems to be hitting further south this year . :donald:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 13 Feb 2012, 11:49 am

Tell us about it, Pixie. :lol: We have been having plenty of rain. :rofl: The weather maps on our TV weather reports showed rain clouds in your general area so we thought you would be having your usual wet. What a shame the clouds were missing you. Here we were thinking you were being flooded out. :yes: :lol!: So, instead, it was :no: for the wet. :lol3:

Post by Guest on Mon 13 Feb 2012, 12:19 pm

The rain clouds roll in as though they are going to dump on us then they kick out around us and land further north . does that with a lot of cyclones so we are grateful.Something to do with the mountains around us I guess.........
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 13 Feb 2012, 1:35 pm

That is what happens here, too, Pixie, although we do get our fair share of rain, at times. Horrible looking thunderstorms will come in from the south & west, then often roll straight over or around us & move on, causing havoc elsewhere, either inland or to the north.

It has been a while since there has been a cyclone here but we have been having plenty of those rotten east coast low systems. :grr:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 15 Feb 2012, 4:10 pm

The stapelia gigantea buds have suddenly grown. I must be blind to have not notice the tiny buds had had a growth spurt. D'uh. :sheesh:

Wonder how many of these will actually grow to a full flower, as it sometimes will sacrifice buds to enable one or two to grow to a huge flower.

Looking at them front on.

Post by Guest on Wed 15 Feb 2012, 6:22 pm

Must be something in the water Joy they are so pregnant, hope mine eventually are that productive.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 15 Feb 2012, 9:19 pm

:donald: It certainly is pregnant. Pixie. :lol: Do hope at least two or three of the buds stay on the plant to grow into huge flowers. It would be great. It was a big surprise when I noticed them this afternoon. Could not believe it. They are all in the one spot, too, which is strange. :wow:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 20 Feb 2012, 3:09 pm

There are still six stapelia gigantea flower buds. Do hope they all open successfully. There are also three smaller buds hiding behind one of the thick stems. Have just discovered them. Some yet to develop buds are also still in situ.

Looking at them front on. They look like wontons.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:35 pm

The stapelia gigantea flowers are growing so rapidly. The largest is nearly 15cms (6ins) long which is close to the size they get before opening. The two at the bottom are smaller so hopefully they will open later. There will hardly be room for these four.

One of the two at the bottom is larger than the other. This going to be a quite a sight if they all open at once.

Three small buds further around the side of the stapelia gigantea.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 3:31 pm

The stapelia gigantea flower buds are so big!! They should be opening very soon.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 25 Feb 2012, 9:49 am

The first stapelia gigantea flower has opened. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :apgch: It will be very squeezy when the others open. It curves around everywhere.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 25 Feb 2012, 9:51 am

Two other angles. Stapelia gigantea flowers look like starfish.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 25 Feb 2012, 3:19 pm

Two more of the stapelia gigantes flowers opened today. One was rather squeezed.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 25 Feb 2012, 3:21 pm

Later today, as the second pic shows, the middle stapelia gigantea has squeezed open further.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 25 Feb 2012, 3:23 pm

These stapelia gigantea flowers look truly weird, although the flies love them.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 18 Mar 2012, 9:58 am

Have so many images of these wonderfully weird stapelia gigantea flowers, I have given them a topic of their own. :lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 27 Apr 2015, 10:25 am

Repotted the stapelia "Gigantea" a few months ago giving it a pot where it could 'roam' but it still hangs over the edge nearly to the ground. Don't know how it fitted into its much smaller round pot. 

This is its new growth which is a good sign. Was getting a bit worried as it looked to be dying & the old growth was all squishy. Flowers only come from new growth stems.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 27 Apr 2015, 10:27 am

More new growth on the trailing part of the stapelia "Gigantea". It has been flowering profusely here & there is a flower stem growing from the bottom branch.
    granny

Post by granny on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 2:48 am

:dance:Happy dance for the new growth!  Going to be beautiful!
                   :excited: Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 7:32 am

Thanks Granny.  :cool4:

Current date/time is Mon 26 Jun 2017, 11:45 am