default Re: Cape Town to Durban on a Cruise Ship

Post by Dawn on Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:48 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:49 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:50 pm

Our cabin was on the row directly above the life boats somewhere !

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:51 pm

Our cabin interior, it was very comfortable bigger than we thought it would be

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:52 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:52 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:54 pm

I only put half of the bed as DH was sleeping and did not think he would like me to put it up with him in the photo :smile:

Bruce

Post by Bruce on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 4:43 am

Thanks so much for posting the pic's Dawn, Love em sure looks a nice ship :smile:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 4:59 am

Thanks Bruiser :) Yes the ship it self was very comfortable too, hard to navigate around and get ones bearings though, well.... for me anyway. :) DH found it no problem I found myself going up down and along and back trying to find my way around :lol2: . Pity about the weather!! but hey that's life isn't it. It was especially hilarious when trying to order at meal times, communication was very difficult. Ever asked for toast that is properly toasted when you are speaking to someone with not very much English language :) We kept asking for toast that is brown, and kept being told that they only have white bread :donald: That piece of toasted bread was so elusive, DH would not give up either. I kept saying leave off the adjectives you might make some head way :lol!:

Post by Guest on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 5:27 am

Another set of great pics Dawn,Found the ones of the ship and the interior very interesting., Didn't realise they were so big. Shame about the weather

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 5:50 am

Thanks BB ! Yes it would have been so much nicer had the weather have been more conducive to a cruise. Not that either of us came prepared to swim or anything. But just being able to go outside on the deck more often would have been nicer. We discovered in the lift the ship was 12 stories high, the pool being on level 12 along with a buffet restaurant, our cabin was on level 8 and the dining area, and the entertainment was on level five, with some bars on level 6 along with the reception etc. I think I got that right?? So those are the only levels we really needed to go on to. :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:17 am

Thank you so much for taking us cruising with you, Dawn. :smile: It is a lovely looking ship & despite the weather it would have been fun to be onboard. The decor was rather grand & glittery, too. :cool3:

Distance night shots are extremely difficult to take, especially without a tripod, so don't worry about how yours turned out. They look ok to me. :cool4:

The bank winning incident on the roulette wheel made me :giggle: . I'll bet the gamblers didn't, though. :lol2: It just goes to show, doesn't it?? :whistle: The same with poker machines, too. ;)

Oh dear, fancy your waiter not knowing what toast was. :O It should be a necessity for them to know this as it is almost a breakfast must, isn't it?? What is eggs for breakfast without toast?? Or what would you put your marmalade on?? :o It would not be easy to try & explain what toast was, either. :lol2:

Did you disembark at Durban?? I was trying to remember whether you cruised back to Cape Town or flew back. :blush2:

Thanks again for the :photos: , they are wonderful. Made me a wee bit nostalgic for some ocean life. :sun:

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 5:57 pm

Thanks Joy! :) Unfortunately there was no marmalade Joy! :( I ended up having Jam I did miss my marmalade very much. We flew back Joy! I put up some photos of the shuttle ride to the airport and a few photos taken from the plane :) I think it is under "Places where you don't live " forum

I need to clarify myself on the toast story, the bread came toasted, but it was so light only on close inspection could you see it was toasted, so we were trying to get them to toast it some more, so as to appear brown like toast as opposed to warmed crispy bread. But I guess they figured that was not what we were trying to say as they knew it had been in a toaster already, ah well not too serious a piece of toast is it??. The crew, waiters,cleaning staff were very courteous and very friendly. It's just that most of us had a communication problem!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 8:51 am

Sounds as though, maybe, it was a European/Continental style of toast, Dawn, rather like Melba toast. Hope it was, at least, crunchy. :giggle:

Most cruises, these days, use crews from non-English speaking areas of the world, where lower pay is the norm. At least these crews, usually, are very well-mannered, courteous & willing. They are normally well educated so it is surprising they don't have much English.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:13 pm

Yes they were all very well educated Joy! I was surprised at how much English they do have Joy! It was just the subleties (?) that were a problem and the accents, unfortunately we needed too many subleties (?). They were very pleasant, and friendly most of them, we had a long conversation with a young girl from Burma (Myanmar). She was telling us how the Pagodas there are made from real gold!

Yes Joy you have a point it could be that it was Melba toast that we were being given and in our ignorance wanted classic toast.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:40 pm

When I went to SE Asia, a lifetime ago, Dawn, all the people involved in the tourism industry, such as guides, etc, all had university degrees. Their English, especially in The Philippines, Hong Kong, Singapore & Malaysia, was very good as it was their business language, but as we all know, English can be spoken in many ways. :lol!: Aussies can have problems understanding what NZers are saying. :lol2: Crikey, there is even differences with English-as-she-is-spoke within the six Oz states & two territories. :rofl:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 7:34 pm

yes the English language must be the only language used with such variety :) . I realised when I was a lot younger even coming from an British colony that my English was very much altered and nonsensical even. I still revert to my "bad" use of English when I am relaxed or tired. Yet it was my first language at school and home always. I also took British exams as in those days exam papers were sent back to England to be marked. I discovered in later years that the colony's were given different standards, so the marking was less strict in some cases. I started to become fascinated with it after my first trip to Britain back in '78, as I was given stares or grins when I asked something or spoke, and sometimes even sarcastic comments ( that wasn't nice to experience), and I actually thought I spoke very good english :). Since then I actually have a love for it, and would love to meet up with an English teacher who is still wanting teach:). Mind you a language is only a form of communication and as long as one can make oneself understood it is I suppose enough, if you are not English! When we lived in France it was very difficult at the beginning, I can remember being reduced to tears some times. People don't always realise that a natural tongue is just "that"- natural, it comes naturally, they don't have to think about it much, not so easy if it is not your natural tongue. Well I have gone and done it again I must sound like some lonely soul the way I chat on and on :lol2:

Last edited by Dawn on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:46 am

Of course, the French are very arrogant, & dismissive, when it comes to non-French speakers attempting to speak French, so I have heard. There is no encouragement or understanding shown, at all. They are also this way when inhabitants of their colonies speak their colloquial French.

Think of all the different English lingo & accents used in the various parts of Britain. People in Manchester speak a different brand of English to those in London, don't they?? :lol: Whoever was sarcastic about your accent, Dawn, was extremely rude & it was a reflection on them, not of your accent. Then there is all the accents from all over the world. Australians are very critical of the accent of some New Zealanders & frequently make a great deal of fun of it. On the other hand, NZers are polite people & never comment about the Aussie accent, as they believe the Australians don't really speak English & are to be pitied. :rofl:

Keep up your interest in English. It will be fun.

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 12:41 am