OUR IMAGES

Growing Hibiscus From Cuttings

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Growing Hibiscus From Cuttings

Post by Joy on Fri 24 Sep 2010, 3:33 pm

Gave the three hibiscus schizopetaluses a pruning the other day. Cut about 45-60cms off them. Poor things. Here is yesterday's flower.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 24 Sep 2010, 4:00 pm

arn't the flowers of this hibiscus just fantastic!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 24 Sep 2010, 4:14 pm

They are indeed, Dawn. :love: Glad you didn't comment on the holey leaves of the hibiscus schizopetalus. :whistle: :lol:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 18 Oct 2010, 2:11 pm

The hibiscus schizopetalus plants look better than ever since their pruning. There is branch growth at the tops of them as well as the small branches which were trimmed at the bottom of the plants. Leaves are growing in profusion & they are, so far, free of holes. :bravo:

As the holey leaves fall off they are being replaced by new, as yet, unmunched leaves. The overall effect makes the plants look bushier. The munched leaves did make the vegetation on the plants look sparse. There are, also, new flower buds growing. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 23 Oct 2010, 3:48 pm

Today's beautiful hibiscus schizopetalus flower.

The first image was taken this morning & the second, this afternoon. It has grown a bit more by the afternoon.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 03 Nov 2010, 9:32 pm

The hibiscus schizopetalus is flowering quite steadily just now. It would seem the pruning agreed with it. The plants have bushed out nicely & there are quite a few buds appearing. It is a shame the flowers don't last more than a day or two.

Here are the latest three flowers. Thought I had posted the first one already. :blush:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 03 Nov 2010, 9:32 pm

Today's hibiscus schizopetalus flower.

Post by Guest on Thu 28 Apr 2011, 1:52 am

I do the same thing with my Hibs...
    They thrive here in Florida and it is one plant that is "safe" for my aviary birds to eat (and they do big time...lol)

I don't have a variety of species as mine are all the plate head bloom type in a various colours.

BTW, I start my Gardenia's with cuttings from new growth much the same way.
    Here they bloom twice a year and the perfume is heavenly.
    Those, the Ginger, Jasmine, Roses and Camellias all are superb when the scents waft in throogh the open doors and windows.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 28 Apr 2011, 1:31 pm

It is terrific how so many of these types of plants will grow readily from cuttings. This hibiscus schizopetalus was a real stab in the dark for me & I was thrilled when the pieces of "sticks" started to sprout. It was great. This past summer they have flowered so well though this cultivar isn't a prolific flowerer. Not like other hibiscus species which, in our area, flower all year round. The last h. schizopetalus flower of this season opened today but there will be some flowers through the winter. Must prune them now. :)

Your garden fragrances sound wonderful, Scots001. :love:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:44 pm

The hibiscus schizopetalus plants received a heavy pruning today, then were fertilised with liquid Nitrosol. They haven't grown since they were repotted several weeks ago so hopefully this will encourage them to start growing again. Wanted also to reduce the risk of further erinose mite infestation recurring this spring. Their leaves are still holey from the caterpillars munching them last summer & autumn. Usually they grow new ones when this happens but so far, no sign of new leaves.

Post by Guest on Tue 26 Jul 2011, 9:01 pm

I have enjoyed watching the Hibiscus grow from cutting to flowering ,so enjoyable . :thankyou:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 26 Jul 2011, 9:13 pm

Many thanks, Pixie. :smile: We, too, have had much enjoyment from watching these plants grow. It was the first time I had ever grown anything from cuttings so I was ecstatic when all three just grew & grew & grew. The thrill of seeing the first leaves sprout was fantastic. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:56 pm

Finally, was able to sit and enjoy the four pages of info and pics. This must have been a very challenging adventure especially when the pests tried to take over.

Thanks Joy.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 23 Sep 2011, 11:57 am

Thanks, Glad. :) The hibiscus schizopetalus gave us a bit of a scare, though, this past winter. They didn't show much in the way of their usual new growth, after their big prune & repotting. When we repotted them, Bruiser had to cut a thick mat of roots off the bottom of the pots so we could get them out. He sawed them off with the bread knife. :lol:

Think our cooler than normal winter was a bit much for them & slowed down any regrowth. Gradually, all the caterpillar-munched leaves dropped off & some new small leaves grew. Not many. The poor plants looked strange with just a few leaves growing straight from the trunks. Now the weather has warmed & they are starting to burst forth with new leaves & growth. There has already been one flower open, which was a surprise. This is cause for some celebration. :cheers:

The parent plant, in the front yard, hasn't recovered, even now, from its big prune which the lawn contractor gave it a few months ago. Poor thing.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 23 Sep 2011, 3:56 pm

Here are two of the hibiscus schizopetalus cuttings, which have started their recovery from the pruning, repotting & cooler than average winter. These images were taken this morning.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 23 Sep 2011, 3:58 pm

The third hibiscus schizopetalus which is also popping out leaves & flower buds.

Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 23 Sep 2011, 9:44 pm

Thanks for the new pictures and the update Joy.

Current date/time is Tue 26 Sep 2017, 11:43 am