OUR IMAGES

Growing Hibiscus From Cuttings

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Growing Hibiscus From Cuttings

Post by Joy on Thu 14 Jan 2010, 9:27 am

They certainly are, Dawn. They now have several sticks, shooting out, of their own making. Do hope this pruning will encourage them to become bushier. The hibiscus schizopetalus, by nature, is a very rangy plant. The parent plant is about 4-5mtrs high & can develop a weeping habit. Its leaves haven't been eaten, though!! :x
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 20 Jan 2010, 9:51 pm

Am repotting them, yet again. Found two of the pots had a mass of roots growing out from the bottom of the pots & going under the pot of another plant. The third one was repotted yesterday but needed to buy a couple of bigger pots for these two.

The third plant opened one of their beautiful flowers today. It has two more buds. Wonderful.

The overhead view.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 20 Jan 2010, 9:52 pm

Side view. They are so exquisite. A few of the newly potted baby Brazilian Walking irises are in the background.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 27 Jan 2010, 9:02 pm

Here is the second flower from this particular small branch, on the smallest of the hibiscus schizopetalus cuttings. There are another two buds to open & more may appear. This is the most flowers that have opened on any of our three plants.

I do not get tired of these particularly beautiful flowers. It is interesting to see how they develop after first opening. This is the overhead view from early this morning.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 27 Jan 2010, 9:03 pm

Late afternoon.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 27 Jan 2010, 9:08 pm

The side view. These hibiscus schizopetalus flowers look like exquisite little fairies or a colourful tropical fish. The first image is of the flower, early this morning, & the second is when it is fully opened.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 07 Feb 2010, 9:16 pm

A third hibiscus schizopetalus flower has popped open. There are more buds growing. All at the end of the same small branch. No sign of any flowers on any of the other branches or plants.

Thankfully, the leaves are growing back well & new branches have grown, already, from the pruning sites. Looks as though I could have pruned them further down the stems. :roll: They are bushing out.

The first pic shows the detail of the flower but not its true colour. The second pic is more correct.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 11 Feb 2010, 10:05 pm

Here is today's hibiscus schizopetalus flower. The leaves are still being eaten with heaps of holes in them. Even the new growth is getting attacked.

Do not tire of seeing these flowers, even though they are all identical to one another. The first pic was taken in morning shadow. The second in the late afternoon.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 17 Feb 2010, 9:56 pm

Another of our hibiscuc schizopetalus cuttings has decided to pop out a flower. This opened today. There is no sign, at the moment, of any more on this plant.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 14 Mar 2010, 10:28 pm

The latest hibiscus schizopetalus flower. They still excite me when they appear. So far, they are mostly appearing on the end of the smallest branch on the smallest of the three cuttings. There has only been one other flower, lately, from another of the plants. Think this is flower no 7 from this small branch.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 15 Mar 2010, 2:42 am

Ah that' s wonderful. I know that feeling of excitement very well, I get it with my gloriosa's. These must be very special to you seeing as you reared them from meer stick cuttings. So rewarding hey Joy! Well done
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 15 Mar 2010, 2:01 pm

Thanks Dawn. Yes, it is rewarding to see them grow. They seem to be recovering from the leaf chewing by the mystery critters & look a bit more leafy. The plants are all quite tall as this cultivar is a tall hibiscus. Think I should have pruned them a bit more severely than I did. The regrowth branches are rather long now & the plants are back to their old height. So soon. :roll:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 15 May 2010, 9:45 am

A new flower today. It is late autumn but hibiscuses flower all year round here. The hibiscus schizopetalus doesn't seem to be a prolific bloomer. The parent plant certainly isn't.

This flower will open further later today.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 15 May 2010, 5:06 pm

How the hibiscus schizopetalus looked this afternoon.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 17 May 2010, 5:23 pm

The pictures won't load for me at the moment! I will come back later, as I have to see the lastest photos of these lovely flowers. I also love them
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 17 May 2010, 5:25 pm

OK they just loaded I think my previous posting refreshed the page!

Beautiful
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 17 May 2010, 5:29 pm

Thanks, Dawn. I do think they are so exquisite which is why I am so glad I was able to grow them from cuttings. :apgch:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 12 Jul 2010, 3:56 pm

Whilst the hibiscus schizopetalus plants' leaves are still looking dreadful as they are full of holes from the unknown beast that is eating them, :cranky: they are managing to grow flowers. There are a few still-to-open buds on them, even after the unkown critter has eaten some. Two opened the other day & have lasted much longer than normal. Previous flowers have only lasted a day before they dropped off. These are still with us after about three days. Thought I should actually take their pics, seeing as how they were lasting so long. :whistle:

The first to open.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 12 Jul 2010, 3:58 pm

This one opened the next day & seems to be a bit smaller. Sort of stunted.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 12 Jul 2010, 3:58 pm

Today has been a beautiful day for a change.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 29 Jul 2010, 3:05 am

They still look beautiful Joy , so pretty. I can't see any holes they must be quite small or my eyes are bad, even with glasses on seriously. They kind of remind me of Fushias in a way. ! so showy
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 29 Jul 2010, 11:24 am

:lol2: Don't worry about your eyes, Dawn. I, purposely, avoided taking pics with the leaves showing. :whistle: That is why you didn't see any holes. ;) Their leaves are absolutely covered with holes. Sprayed with pyrethrum the other day & never saw one caterpillar. So do not have a clue as to what horrible critter is chewing them!?!?!?!? :mad: Same with the adenium obesum which sits beside them. :huh2:

They are a showy flower but so exquisitely sculpted. That is why I love them. :love: They don't have as many flowers as the ordinary hibiscuses, nor are they as large & showy as they are but they are attractive in their own way. Only wish I could find out WHAT IN HECK IS EATING THEM!!!! :mad2: :whack!: :cranky:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 16 Sep 2010, 3:35 pm

Have pruned the poor hibiscus schizopetalus plants, but, apparently, this is the best time to do this. Their leaves are still being munched on by some mysterious critters. There were, definitely, no caterpillars on any of the prunings.

It is quite a mystery. :huh2: :??:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 16 Sep 2010, 5:11 pm

Ugh I just posted and my line cut off! .

It is caterpiller season here now Joy, they come out in force. Not sure about there.. but they come out at night here and then go into hiding during the day. I usually only find the ones that eat the potted plants as they hide in the perimeter of the pot. They are clever in hiding and have a really good camouflage. The guy next door planted a butterfly and bird garden so I get his overflow of caterpillers :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 16 Sep 2010, 5:28 pm

These poor plants have been chewed on all through winter, Dawn, unfortunately. Do not know who or what are committing the offence. :whack!:

There haven't been much in the way of butterflies, fluttering about, for the past few months.

Oh dear, a butterfly & bird garden sounds very lovely, but not so good for the neighbours. :O Though wouldn't the birds make a bit of a feast of the butterflies?? :lol2:

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 1:22 am