OUR IMAGES

In the mountains

default In the mountains

Post by Guest on Sun 06 Nov 2011, 6:32 am

The chapel we were looking at when we were called in to a shed behind.

The raki still.

Fish cooking.

The seated diners, we were invited to eat.

Walking sticks and crooks drying.

Unloading and refilling. The residue from the wine making is used.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: In the mountains

Post by Joy on Sun 06 Nov 2011, 8:15 am

Great pictures, BigBilly!! :good: Do think raki would be quite potent stuff. Did you try some?? Hope it tastes better than retsina. :sick2:

The Cretans would be very hospitable people, I'd imagine. Thanks, again, for posting these pics & giving us a glimpse of life in the mountains of Crete. Looks so wonderful. :photos:

Post by Guest on Sun 06 Nov 2011, 8:41 am

Does taste better than retzina Joy, looks like water but has a fair old kick.

Yes the Cretans are incredibly welcoming people and will help you in any way they can..

Its a fantastic island to visit,
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 06 Nov 2011, 8:58 am

Places such as Crete would be best seen away from the more touristy areas, I would think, BigBilly. Then the visitor would see the real people & their lifestyle. Glad to hear that raki tastes better than retsina. That one is definitely an acquired taste. :o Googled raki & found it is drunk, in moderation, ( :whistle: ) as an aperitif with food, such as fish. No wonder they were grilling fish. :lol:

You & your wife must have had a great time.

Post by Guest on Sun 06 Nov 2011, 9:58 am

The raki that the Cretans make does not have anise added Joy, The stuff we had was straight from the still and a bit warm. Pure fire water.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 06 Nov 2011, 10:20 am

:lol2: Make your hair curl, eh. :lol: Guess it isn't for sissies, BigBilly. :whistle:

Post by Guest on Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:23 pm

Some of the pictures taken at the griffon vultere roost

Bruce

Post by Bruce on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 3:24 am

Great shots BB thanks :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 7:12 am

What wonderful images, BigBilly. That bird is so well camouflaged I had to look really hard to find it at first. Great captures. The shadow, on the rock, of the bird flying is fantastic as are the ones of it in the air. Heck, they are all great, BB. :bravo:

Many thanks for posting them. :photos:

Post by Guest on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 6:08 pm

Some pictures of one of the compact mountain villages we visited.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:09 pm

What wonderful images, BigBilly. :photos: These villages are gorgeous & so clean, neat & tidy. Their "patio gardens" are stunning with a riot of colourful flowers.

Everything is so well kept & in good order. The cemetery is amazing. There is much civic pride in these villages. Thank you again for posting these outstanding pics, BB & showing us the beauty of Crete. :thankyou:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 13 Nov 2011, 11:33 pm

:photos: BB

I love the simple architecture these islands have and all those houses buildings and chapels have that lovely clean white washed exterior.

I especially loved the photos of the vultures what great shots!. Lucky you being able to see them so close-up like that ! :thanks: :good:

Post by Guest on Thu 17 Nov 2011, 3:12 am

A few more pictures from the mountains. Have named them where i can.

Even though most things are dead and dry i still think there is a certain beauty to them.

I think this is one of the asphodels

Don't know

Spurge ?

Squirting cucumber

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 17 Nov 2011, 4:42 am

That is very good on your part to know the names BB. The ones in the first photo look like a type of thistle ! and the green plant in photo no seven looks like it has thorns or is it just spiked leaves?. It is amazing to see how many plants will grow in very dry conditions and is very interesting to see the different types of vegetation in places around the world. Thanks for posting them BB! :photos: :thanks:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 17 Nov 2011, 9:24 am

They certainly do have a beauty to them, BigBilly. It is amazing what can grow in the driest of places, especially wildflowers & the ground-hugging greenery. These are the sorts of plants one would not really notice unless you were up close to them. You have a good eye for seeing such things, BB & I thank you for posting these pics. I enjoyed seeing them.

Squirting cucumber!! :lol: Love the name.

Post by Guest on Thu 17 Nov 2011, 6:40 pm

Dawn wrote:That is very good on your part to know the names BB. The ones in the first photo look like a type of thistle ! and the green plant in photo no seven looks like it has thorns or is it just spiked leaves?. It is amazing to see how many plants will grow in very dry conditions and is very interesting to see the different types of vegetation in places around the world. Thanks for posting them BB! :photos: :thanks:

I think the brown ones are all types of thistle Dawn ,but the green one, no 7 had spikey leaves that were quite leathery, probably to do with retaining moisture in dry times

default A now disused village wash house

Post by Guest on Wed 23 Nov 2011, 2:29 am

THE OLD WASH HOUSE

A fern growing on th wall

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 23 Nov 2011, 3:22 am

I LOVE the first Photo of the wash house it looks not only so beautifully cool in there. I would love to have that in my yard :) I could think of lots of things to do with it!! and one would not be washing :lol2: it would make a a nice refuge from the south easter wind that would be one of those things :). BB do you know if it is still used as a wash house? it is probably a stupid question on my part as the trough's still seem to have water in them ?
    Re: Fern. It is fascinating to look at!!, the leaves look almost succulent looking, I can't take my eyes off it :cool3:

Thanks for the photos !!
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 23 Nov 2011, 5:20 am

The Penny has just dropped BB!! :lol2: with your title "In the Mountains" it must be a lot cooler up there than in the lower regions, hence the fern. It still fascinates me though.!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 23 Nov 2011, 7:39 am

Many thanks for these wonderful pics, BigBilly. :cool3: Have never seen such a fancy communal washhouse before. Usually, they are just like the pics of a few stone troughs, all out in the open. These places made clothes washing more of a social event & less of a back-breaking chore when the women gathered together to do their laundry. Rather like a laundromat without the mod cons. :lol: Something similar to the washhouse would make a great shade house & fernery.

Did they also used to wash themselves there?? :whistle:

Loved the hardy little fern, BB. :D

Post by Guest on Fri 25 Nov 2011, 5:32 pm

Dawn wrote:I LOVE the first Photo of the wash house it looks not only so beautifully cool in there. I would love to have that in my yard :) I could think of lots of things to do with it!! and one would not be washing :lol2: it would make a a nice refuge from the south easter wind that would be one of those things :). BB do you know if it is still used as a wash house? it is probably a stupid question on my part as the trough's still seem to have water in them ?
    Re: Fern. It is fascinating to look at!!, the leaves look almost succulent looking, I can't take my eyes off it :cool3:

Thanks for the photos !!

Don't think the wash house is still used Dawn, but the spring water was still trickling through it.

Post by Guest on Fri 25 Nov 2011, 5:35 pm

Joy wrote:Many thanks for these wonderful pics, BigBilly. :cool3: Have never seen such a fancy communal washhouse before. Usually, they are just like the pics of a few stone troughs, all out in the open. These places made clothes washing more of a social event & less of a back-breaking chore when the women gathered together to do their laundry. Rather like a laundromat without the mod cons. :lol: Something similar to the washhouse would make a great shade house & fernery.

Did they also used to wash themselves there?? :whistle:

Loved the hardy little fern, BB. :D

Don't think they used to wash themselves there Joy. It was the place to have all the village chit chat while doing the washing.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 25 Nov 2011, 5:45 pm

:giggle: Did think that was the case, BigBilly. Some things need to be done in private, don't they?? :whistle:

Post by Guest on Wed 30 Nov 2011, 1:50 am

Some of the patterns woven in Crete

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:48 am

I love the colours! :good:

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 2:38 pm