OUR IMAGES

SOME PICTURES FROM OUR RECENT TRIP TO THE ISLAND OF CRETE

default SOME PICTURES FROM OUR RECENT TRIP TO THE ISLAND OF CRETE

Post by Guest on Sat 05 Nov 2011, 7:10 am

Pebble work in the path.

Inside the chapel. Not being very religious,cant tell you the meaning of the pictures, i just like them.

Think the one on the horse is ST GEORGE

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 6:59 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : titles)

default Re: SOME PICTURES FROM OUR RECENT TRIP TO THE ISLAND OF CRETE

Post by Guest on Sat 05 Nov 2011, 7:14 am

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 05 Nov 2011, 4:33 pm

That is a beautiful little chapel and I love the pebble square pictures they are so beautifully done. Amazing what people can do with just different coloured pebbles. :photos: too they are so lovely and clear. Thanks very much for sharing them. :thanks:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 06 Nov 2011, 8:31 am

The religious icons are outstanding, BigBilly, especially if they are found in such a tiny chapel. They would be treasured by the locals. The one showing the slaying of the dragon does seem as though it is St George. Maybe he is also part of Greek Orthodoxy.

The pebble decorations in the path are beautiful & are a wonderful example of meticulous workmanship. I admire anyone who has the patience to do such intricate work.

Thank you for posting these lovely images, BB. You certainly did have a wonderful holiday in Crete.

default Goudouras Where we stayed for five days

Post by Guest on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 7:44 am

For the first five days we stayed at the small village of Goudouras, on the south east cost of the island Where thi pictures of the chapel were taken

The view across the bay to the village.

Traffic hazards

Mainly agricultural/ horticultural. Many wooden framed/ polythene greenhouses

The taverna / apts where we stayed, and views from the balcony with the different light depending on the time of day

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 8:11 am

Hey Billy I just tried to edit in IE and got your problem (Dang IE) so use chrome and it will work fine :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 9:42 am

What a rugged & dry countryside it is, BigBilly. Cretans would feel very much at home in the Australian "outback". Looks as though the area is a "food bowl" with all those greenhouses.

The scenery is wonderful & the changes in it, with the different light, are quite remarkable. The sunsets are so beautiful.

Very handy having a holiday apartment above a taverna. :whistle: The views from your balcony must have been fantastic. The terrace at the taverna, also, looks very inviting. :lol!:

Thank you, very much, for posting these wonderful images, BB. Love them. :love: Do hope all will go smoothly from now on. :good:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 4:44 pm

Great photos BB! the sunset photos are especially lovely, nice capture. Thank you for sharing them with us ! :)

Post by Guest on Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:12 am

Thanks for the comments Bruiser, Joy and Dawn, also for all the help with my computer problems Joy and Bruiser, much appreciared
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 08 Nov 2011, 6:48 am

So happy we were able to be of some assistance for you, BigBilly. :good:

default Afew more pictures

Post by Guest on Sat 19 Nov 2011, 2:27 am

Pictures taken as we drove around eastern crete.

Old olive groves

Palm tree

Fruit

Pomegranate

Blue butterfly

Painted lady butterfly

Hornet

Big mama , big bell & small kid. On the way to the milking shed

Wait for me

Wherever you go there are sparrows

In the clouds

Post by Guest on Sat 19 Nov 2011, 2:40 am

A distant shot of the vultures going off to look fo food

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Sat 19 Nov 2011, 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Sat 19 Nov 2011, 3:52 am

More great shots Billy, love em :D
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 19 Nov 2011, 5:15 am

The butterfly looks like a Mission Blue Butterfly! isn't he lovely, and the Vultures look like they have found some nice Thermal currents to do there searching, I love watching birds of prey :) and it is ages since I saw a pomegranate. I showed DH your photos as he likes birds. He remarked on the age the Olive trees, they must be a fair age. We had the most beautiful Olives from Greece once, two bottles were given to us by a Greek person visiting here. they were delicious!!. I don't think we have ever tasted any as nice since, but we like all olives . :photos: :thanks: for the photos BB

Post by Guest on Sat 19 Nov 2011, 8:11 am

Thanks Bruiser & Dawn. Know what you mean about the olives Dawn. We brought six litres of olive oil given to us by our friends, from their own supply.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 19 Nov 2011, 10:26 am

What wonderful images, BigBilly. :photos: Was just saying to Bruiser that you have a terrific eye for "the shot" & take really good pics. The one of the hornet is fantastic as are the goats, sparrows, butterflies, vultures, the olive grove, etc, etc... :cool3: You are an observer & see things others might miss. Dawn is like that, too.

Love the pomegranates, they look so colourful. :love: Also, agree that the olive grove does look old & there would be nothing nicer than olive oil pressed by the grower.

Thanks again for posting these great pics. :D

default Around a Cretan fishing harbour.

Post by Guest on Mon 26 Dec 2011, 6:58 am

Thought these might interest you Bruiser.

Bruce

Post by Bruce on Mon 26 Dec 2011, 7:10 am

Thanks BB They look like small sardine boats with a fine mesh seine net on board!
    They are very clean(lovely nice paintwork) so maybee the season hasn't started yet! Loved the tiller's on the back :)
    Thanks so much for the pic's

Current date/time is Thu 27 Jul 2017, 2:31 pm