OUR IMAGES

Agave "Queen Victoria"

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Agave "Queen Victoria"

Post by Joy on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 10:56 am

Our agave "Queen Victoria" or agave victoriae reginae has been living on the front patio out of the way, due to it very spiky nature. Bruiser was constantly getting spiked, by it, as he walked passed it, when it was indoors. S-o-o-o-o, it had to go outside where it could not stab anyone.

It received very little sun where it was but, even so, it grew very well, though its colour is a bit lighter than it should be. A spot on the back patio, where it would get a bit more sun, became available so that is where it is now. Hopefully, it will return to its attractive darker green there.

This plant does need to be in a larger container, but it will not be easy to remove it from the one it is in now. It will be a very tricky exercise to get it out. Am not game to try as its spines are very sharp. :O

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Agave "Queen Victoria"

Post by Joy on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 11:14 am

Here are some early images of this attractive but spiky agave, showing its lovely dark green colour & cream markings.

Not long after we first bought it.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 11:17 am

Ten months later it has grown very well.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 11:21 am

Still growing well a few months later. The spines look very mean.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 11:22 am

This image was the last for 2 & 1/2 years until yesterday's pic. Have seen images of these "Queen Victoria" agaves growing in gardens & they are huge balls. Very striking looking, too.

MableShortt

Post by MableShortt on Tue 11 Nov 2014, 4:18 am

That agave plant is something grown here in the USA . I've heard stories all my life about how the American Indians used these plants for lots of things including a food source.
    Google American Indian and agave plants for the uses . I tried to post the link but was told I wasn't allowed to do so.
    The spikes were used as needles...good use for them. Mable
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 11 Nov 2014, 8:03 am

The spikes on the ends of the fleshy 'leaves' or 'branches' of this agave are very, very sharp, Mable & I can see how they could be used as needles. We still have this plant although it has tended to be neglected much to my shame. It should be repotted but I'm not game to do so due to its very sharp spikes. It is a very attractive agave & can grow quite big if in the ground. 

There is an anti-spam measure in place, used by the hosts of this forum, whereby a member has to be in a forum for seven days before they can post links. The joining of forums purely to post spam links was common until this measure was introduced. You will be able to post links in a couple of days, Mable.  :D
    MableShortt

Post by MableShortt on Tue 11 Nov 2014, 8:13 am

I can understand the link Joy. I have commented on several of the threads today. Been sitting in front of my computer most of the day. Too cool for me to be outside . If I get too cold I ache all over.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 11 Nov 2014, 8:36 am

Good idea to stay warm, Mable. Bruce complains about the cold if it is 20°C (66°F)!!!  :lol: Still, we spend most of our time on our computers no matter what the weather.  :O :lol2:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 9:48 am