OUR IMAGES

Chameadorea Elegans AKA Parlour Palm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Chameadorea Elegans AKA Parlour Palm

Post by Joy on Wed 19 Oct 2011, 3:42 pm

Our chamaedorea elegans or Parlour Palm originally lived on the back patio. That was when there weren't as many plants there & the winter sun, travelling lower in the sky, reached it & caused it to turn yellow. It really didn't like being there & was looking rather awful. Like most palms it prefers indirect light. It also like to be kept moist but doesn't like wet feet, so I removed the saucer from under its pot. This made a difference as it allowed the water to drain freely.

This image was taken in spring & shows the yellowing caused by the winter sun.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Chameadorea Elegans AKA Parlour Palm

Post by Joy on Wed 19 Oct 2011, 3:44 pm

This image was taken the following winter & shows just how yellow it had become. Some of its fronds were bleached almost white.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 19 Oct 2011, 3:53 pm

Afew months later I was able to find room, for it, on the front patio where there was less sun.
    There is only some very late afternoon sun as the front patio faces SW.

Here it is starting to become greener. The worst of the bleached fronds were pruned.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 19 Oct 2011, 4:00 pm

Around this time I realised that many of my plants weren't doing as well as they had previously. Some were getting close to dying off completely. Came to the conclusion it was the liquid fertiliser I had been using. This was a, supposedly, very reputable name brand but I wasn't prepared to use it any more, even though I bought a large container of it. Bought another, lesser known brand & what a difference it made to our poor plants.

This image of the chamaedorea elegans was taken after it had the benefits of the new fertiliser as well as very little direct sun.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 19 Oct 2011, 4:03 pm

The chamaedorea elegans "Parlour Palms" continued to thrive in this shady spot.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 19 Oct 2011, 4:06 pm

The chamaedorea elegans is a small stature palm but ours continues to do well on the front patio.

Here it is starting to grow many flowrheads. This is the most we have seen on this plant.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 19 Oct 2011, 4:08 pm

Two months ago.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 19 Oct 2011, 4:11 pm

Some of the chamaedorea elegans flowers are starting to turn yellow. This process takes quite a bit of time, it seems. Hadn't noticed this before. :D

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 10:07 am