OUR IMAGES

Bulbs & Tubers in my rainforest garden no 3

default Bulbs & Tubers in my rainforest garden no 3

Post by Guest on Fri 23 Sep 2011, 9:43 am

NNow two bulbs that go winter dormant and are very popular in the tropics as you just plant and forget from year to year,they multiply well and can be relied on to put on a show.The first one has the common name locally as Blood Lily

Scadoxus multiflores.

Waking from winters sleep the flowers appear first then the leaves ,

The next bulb is commonly called Cardwell Lily , it flowers at the same time as the previous one,it has huce circular leaves and lovely flowers .

Proiphys amboinensis......

Next is one of my favourites ,evergreen bulb, unusual colour flower ,

Eucharis grandiflora.

Now for a bulb that forms large clumps and is very common in Cape York. Its called a spider lily like so many other lilies with a similar shape .

Hymenocallis littoris

Newly planted clumps of the spider lily ,next year they should put on a good show of flowers.These were planted at the end of the flowering season so not a marvelous flower show.

Next is a nice litle Freesia , the only Freesia that can stand up to our tropical conditions .It comes from an area in Sth Ffrica that has the high summer rainfall as we do in Cape York .I have red and white only the red has flowered yet.They have bright red seeds.

Freesia laxa

Freesia laxa

Lastly is a Hippeastrum that I really like..I Have others but no photo's ,I hope to remedy that this flowering season.

Hippeastrum johnsonii

Thats all for now until more bulbs flower,ENJOY , :donald:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Bulbs & Tubers in my rainforest garden no 3

Post by Joy on Fri 23 Sep 2011, 2:26 pm

What fantastic lilies & other bulbs you have, Pixie. :cool3: They are all gorgeous. The scadoxus multiflores, or Blood LIly, would make a wonderful glowing dash of colour in your rainforest understorey. It is a beautiful colour. The proiphys amboinensis, or Cardwell lily, has such beautiful flowers & amazing foliage. The clumps of hymenocallis littoris, or spider lily, will make for a magnificent display next flowering season.

The eucharis grandiflora is another of your many fabulous plants. It does seem to grow so well in your wonderful tropical garden. Do love their unusual flowers & lovely foliage. Had never heard of these plants until Dawn posted about them. Can quite understand why it is a favourite of yours.

The freesia, too, is a lovely, bright, unusual flower. It must look bright & perky in your garden. :smile: The hippeastrum johnsonii is stunning. You do know how I feel about hippeastrums & yours is a superb colour. :love:

Many thanks for showing us more of your fabulous gardens, Pixie. :photos: :bravo:

Post by Guest on Fri 23 Sep 2011, 2:45 pm

Joe its a pleasure for me to share .what next, I'm thinking succulents..... I grow succulents mostly in pots and the ones which don't like our 100 % humidity in the monsoon I take in under the veranda to a pot stand .Through trial and error I have learnt which ones can be out in the garden through sun, rain and humidity. I have a spot that gets a lot of sun and is out of range from the hose which I have named my "Desert Garden". I have planted all the tough succulents there plus Yucca .Agave ,Aloe and Cycads.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 23 Sep 2011, 3:36 pm

That sounds like a another great idea, Pixie. As you know I have a handful of succulents, with a couple of cacti as well, so I shall be very interested to see what delights you have. :D

It is an excellent idea to use those spots, that are the furtherest from the reach of the garden hose, to plant the hardy succulents.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:04 pm

Hi Pixie I cant get the photos to load for at the moment , my computer does this to me now and then. I am so looking forward to seeing your bulbs, as soon as I see them I will comment properly AND I see you have three threads up on them you must have quite a variety. You are so lucky to have space to grow them in and the right spots too. Bulbs are one of my loves I have just never had much space to be able to make a meal of things. I see you have Eucharis Grandiflora!! wow one of my favourites. I am so looking forward to seeing them . Thanks Dawn

Post by Guest on Wed 28 Sep 2011, 5:35 pm

Hi Dawn ,I do hope you enjoy them when you get the computer to behave .I do have plenty of room thats true .Pixie.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 28 Sep 2011, 6:53 pm

At last they loaded and it was worth the wait!! , they are all so beautiful Pixie :love: . The Scadoxus multiflores or blood lillies grow in the rainforest (a wild rainforest)at Victoria Falls, which is where I saw my first and only one until now, so a first for me to see more than one, they make a lovely show together. I can see those Eucharis love it there in their spot too, I have mine in pots and struggle to keep them going. No matter what I do they eventually all yellow and die off. Sometimes they have come back but once gone it is quite a feat for me to try and get them to come back. We are only able to grow them here in the warmer regions of SA as they do not like any cold temps apparently. A radio talk show on them once indicated they will never flower if they have been exposed below a certain temp. Thank you for the photos they are :photos: :thankyou:

Post by Guest on Wed 28 Sep 2011, 8:29 pm

Dawm they are one of my favourite bulbs I love the green centers .I grow them in the ground here ,they are not native in Aust. of course but in the tropics do so well.Pitta.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 2:52 pm

Yes Pixie those green centres make it very unusual. It is hard to show how lovely these flower actually are in a photo I find! They can look just like a white daffodil, but in fact they are so much more beautiful as they are much bigger and carry that fluoresence (spel)shimmer in their petals which cannot come through in the photo. :)

Post by Guest on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 4:49 pm

I agree Dawn

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 9:43 am