OUR IMAGES

Bulbs & Tubers in my tropical garden 2

default Bulbs & Tubers in my tropical garden 2

Post by Guest on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 9:55 am

NeXT i will show a small bulb that grows as far down as Melbourne Victoria [in protected spots]I have 6 different types but 4 only have flowered yet They multiply very quickly and you have a pot full in a couple of years .Most will multiply by seed as well as bulblets, with the sxception of the species "candida "which does not seed.
    An ideal plant for patio gardens.
    Zephranthes or rain lily is the name of the Genus...

First one is Zephranthes grandiflora one on the biggest flowers.

Zephranthes citrina a lovely deep yellow

In this pot I planted 5 tiny bulbs I purchased 5 bulbs on ebay l purchased 5 bulbs from ebay and they have doubled in 10 months

Typical seed pod

Zephranthes primulina a paler lemon one,thin stems.

Next is the most common one of all ,IB have them in tubs and in the full sun in the garden as a border .they are called rain lillies and are supposed to flower 3 days after rain but I have not found this true.
    Zephranthes candida.

I will return later with more Bulbs & Tubers ..ENJOY :donald:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Bulbs & Tubers in my tropical garden 2

Post by Joy on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:05 pm

What gorgeous plants these are. Pixie. They would make a wonderful addition to any patio decor & I'd imagine they would be very easy to take care of, too. :cool3: Your large tubs of candidas are stunning & have me drooling. I wish, i wish........... The other varieties are so pretty, too. Love them all. :love:

Had never heard of these plants before, until I was taken to one of the many weekend outdoor markets we have around here, by my visiting son & DIL who loves the markets. :cool4: There was a plant stall which had them, but they labelled them crocuses, which I knew they weren't. Firstly, it was autumn & they were in flower. Secondly, crocuses aren't really a subtropical plant. :lol: Next time I saw them, was as a planting in the gardens of the McDonalds, at Ballina, where we like to lunch on the odd occasion. :whistle: :lol!: They are the smaller candidas & look so pretty. These ones do seem to appear after rain & look very perky. :D

Thank you, again, for posting these beautiful images. :bravo: We enjoy them so much. :sun:

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 28 Sep 2011, 7:18 pm

Lovely, lovely, lovely, wow It is a long time since I saw a rain lily Pixie, I remember them but only the pink ones that one used come across if walking in the bush in Zimbabwe. SA do have them here but as far as I know only in the Eastern Cape. The white ones are beautiful, stunning clumped like that in a pot. Are the yellow ones a hybrid they call the yellow Clivias "citrina" too which I think is a lovely and apt description for the colour. These threads have made me feel a little nostalgic :lol2: They are beautiful thanks! :coolsign:

Post by Guest on Wed 28 Sep 2011, 8:39 pm

Dawn it makes me feel good to know you are getting so much from my Bulbs & Tubers post .The rain lilies are very nice I noticed today as I went around on my scooter checking out the garden there was a bud on my rain lily vwas checking the garden my scooter I have a bud on my rainlily Z. primulina....Pitta..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 24 Aug 2017, 4:47 pm