OUR IMAGES

Bulbs & Tubers in my rainforest garden

default Bulbs & Tubers in my rainforest garden

Post by Guest on Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:50 pm

Here I am returned ,this time to show the Bulbs & Tubers in my garden .
    Starting with a few Canna's.
    Canna red flowers .

Next one is a named variety .Canna konigin.

Canna tropicana which was growing well until the turkeys thought the liked it bertter [the will eat the tubers]
    These were the nice leaves ...

Canna orange I really like.

Thats all the Canna .I have 2 more not yet flowered .
    Next is a tuber that is a pest here called
    Gloriosa lily ,grows about 10 ft climbs over everything .

Thats all for now more to come next time ENJOY :donald:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Bulbs & Tubers in my rainforest garden

Post by Joy on Wed 21 Sep 2011, 4:03 pm

Oh my word, Pixie. :photos: The cannas make such a colourful & striking display. They glow in your fantastic rainforest garden. :bravo: They are gorgeous & I do love their colours. It is a shame that the scrub turkeys fancied the canna tropicana with the beautiful leaves. Do hope they left some tubers so it could grow again. :O

It is a shame the lovely gloriosa lily has become such a pest here. In NSW it is also considered a weed pest & cannot be sold. The flower is very attractive & Dawn, who lives in South Africa, loves it. She has several growing, in pots. As it is native to SA they haven't become the pest it is here.

Thanks again, for showing us some more of your wonderful, magical rainforest garden. :cool4: :clap:

Post by Guest on Wed 21 Sep 2011, 6:58 pm

Thank you Joy more soon :smile:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 28 Sep 2011, 7:47 pm

Oh Oh Oh my goodness :lol2: I feel like whooping for joy, flowers after my own heart! Your cannas are beautiful :love: But your Flame lilies steal the show for me. :love: I have just looked at your second thread and I was thinking flame lilies would grow lovely in that environment, and then I saw this thread :coolsign: . I had a garden similar to yours when I lived in Central Zim a zillion years ago it was my first garden after being married. I always called it my garden without borders as we lived on an estate in the bush, so the residents could just acquire as much land around the house as one chose to for the garden. It had all the trees like yours albeit perhaps different types. But being so isolated plants were not readily available for purchase so I planted what was given me by friends, cannas were very prolific, as were tall variety Dahlias. I am sorry I seem to be doing an awful lot of reminiscing :lol!: I love the variegated leaf Canna it is very striking! Pixie do you know what variety of Gloriosa you have, it looks like the superba to me ? But the fact that it grows to ten feet it could be the Rothchildiana which comes from Central Africa. Did you have to plant them or did they occur naturally? You also mentioned the turkeys eat the tubers of the Canna's are these wild turkey's or are they domestic turkey's. I am very envious of your garden Pixie you are very lucky. Thanks for sharing your garden. :cool3:

Post by Guest on Wed 28 Sep 2011, 8:21 pm

Dawn , the Gloriosa are superba species and they must have been planted originally and now they are a pest in QLD..I let some grow but cull a lot every year.
    Turkey we have are native and protected

We also have an orange footed scrub fowl ,native and protected and garden destructive also.
    Thank you for watching I am glad it brought back nice memories.Pitta..
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 2:59 pm

I love the turkey he's gorgeous! It's good they are protected! Yes the Gloriosa's are very hardy and I can imagine in the environment you have they would or could become rife. I do understand the need for you to cull them, but I can't imagine you doing it :no: as I treasure each one that comes up. My two staffies have adopted a spot that I chose to plant some bulbs of these and to get cool during the heat they dig a hole to lay in and the poor flame lillies suffer replanting regularly. This garden I have is a fairly new garden as far as gardens go so they have not reached under the ground enough to be safe from this :smile:

Post by Guest on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 4:56 pm

All I say about scrub turkey its just as well they are protected .All birds are protected in QLD.I won't say whatI would like to do to them after they dig up valued plants every night from now until the rains come :sheesh: :mad3: :mad: :mad4: .
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 5:04 pm

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: yes I can imagine how you must feel about them digging up your plants. If there were wild turkeys here they would be extinct, protected or not... and not because of any gardner's I feel sure! :)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Dec 2017, 5:29 am