default Re: Our Venus Fly Traps

Post by Bruce on Fri 04 Mar 2011, 6:29 am

Look's great :D
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 23 Mar 2011, 2:34 pm

Our Venus Fly Trap is still looking great. :love: Wish I could say the same about the other one we bought at the same time. :x This image was taken two days ago when our stapelia gigantea "Carrion Plant" flowered & flies from all over came rushing in. Think some also checked out the VFT. That was the last thing they did. :whistle: :rofl:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 24 Jul 2011, 8:57 am

The Venus Fly Trap doesn't look like the above image at the moment. Most of it has all but disappeared for the winter. Although it has been cooler than normal this winter it still isn't anywhere as cool as it would be in its native regions. Do hope it will revive this coming spring.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 17 Sep 2011, 8:55 pm

The Venus Fly Trap has awoken from its winter nap & has grown quite a few traps. This is wonderful to see. I am so relieved.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 17 Sep 2011, 9:01 pm

It does look as though there are some flower stems growing which is not the best thing to be happening at this time as the flowers will drain the plant & slow down the growing of the traps. Or so I have been told. All I know is that both Venus Fly Traps & sarracenias I have had died after flowering. At the moment they are too tiny to know whether they are flowers or traps. When I know for certain I shall remove them.

default Venus Fly Traps

Post by Guest on Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:19 pm

Hi Joy, I've really enjoyed your Venus Fly Traps, they are beautiful. I hope that they will continue to grow well. Any ideas as to why one died?
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:32 pm

Thanks, balin. :D We really do not know what these plants have been subjected to prior to buying them. With the last two we bought, one failed to thrive & the other has done well. Both came from the same grower & plant retailer, as well as being treated exactly the same. So who knows??? The one which failed to thrive is still with us but is more of a pot of sphagnum moss than a Venus Fly Trap. :lol2:

As for the previous one that gradually died, I have absolutely no idea why it carked it. :huh2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 21 Oct 2011, 10:59 am

This Venus Fly Trap plant has definitely come out of its winter dormancy very well.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 21 Oct 2011, 11:01 am

There are plenty of traps growing & they are standing up nicely. New flower stems seem to have stopped growing since the first ones were pinched off. There were several of them.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 21 Oct 2011, 11:02 am

There are now two distinct Venus Fly Trap plants in this pot.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:07 pm

Today's image of the Venus Fly Trap. It is looking good & is growing its traps in an upright position. Haven't seen that happen before with our Venus Fly Traps.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 07 Jan 2012, 10:52 am

The Venus Fly Trap is growing so well.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 10 Mar 2012, 10:56 am

The Venus Fly Trap plant is still growing well with most of it larger traps standing erect. It is slowing down though for winter.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 13 Nov 2012, 10:40 am

The Venus Fly Trap has regrown very well after its winter slumber. It never died off but just went into a stasis with its traps staying very small in size. Came the warmer weather, it just started to grow & grow.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 3:03 pm

The Venus Fly Trap has continued to recover well after its winter snooze. It is now placed near the stapelias which attract flies when they flower. Easy food. It also gets more sun where it is now.

The main reason it was moved was because a nocturnal critter was digging into its lovely moist medium. leaving quite big holes. Think some of the plant was eaten too.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 06 Oct 2013, 2:57 pm

The Venus FlyTraps have started growing again after its winter slowdown. Did remove all the flower stems as they started to shoot up. This seems to encourage more traps to grow.

Current date/time is Thu 27 Apr 2017, 1:10 pm