OUR IMAGES

Ferns in my tropical rainforest garden

default Ferns in my tropical rainforest garden

Post by Guest on Thu 15 Sep 2011, 9:32 pm

Welcome to my garden to see what Ferns I am growing.

First one i s the birds nest fern very common here in fact little baby ferns grow in the bark of logs or on the trunks of living trees .fern spore drits on the wind.

Asplenium australiasicum is the variety I have .

Showing the spores f the birdsnest fern.

Baby birdsnest ferns.

Platyerium bifurcatum ..elkhorn fern on rainforest trees .

Nest is a giant Haresfoot fern I have not been able to identify this one as yet..

This is a fern commonly called an electric fern because of the iridescent blue colour it gets .I had some growing in pots last year when i went into age care home for a month to give my daughter carer respite . It was fine at the age care as I had my scooter to go out every day plus I had my computer too .While I was away there was an unusual dry spell so I lost those fern plants but my son in Darwin is growing me some more and will sent them when they are well rooted.

This is a giant Haresfoot fern I cannot identify . it can hang down 6 ft fronds and is quite lovely

Will have to stop here its getting late and I am making errors I will finish off the fern on my next post ENJOY :donald:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Ferns in my tropical rainforest garden

Post by Joy on Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:19 am

Such gorgeous ferns, Pixie. :love: They grow so well in your bit of paradise. :good: We can see elk & staghorn ferns growing on trees here, in the bits of rainforest that remain but your elkhorn ferns are magnificent as are your birds nest ferns. They really love your garden. The bits of branches you put on the ground, to help dissuade the scrub fowls from scratching up your plants, have definitely been put to good use by the their spores. :cool3:

We had a hare's foot fern in a pot when Bruiser & I were living on the pleasure cruiser. It was an amazing fern with its hairy anchor roots being such a feature of the plant. Would hate to try & repot one. :giggle: It, of course, was nowhere near the size of your terrific ferns. They are magnificent.

So pleased your son will be able to replace those ferns you lost. It will be interesting to see their wonderful colour.

Many thanks for posting these :photos: so we can drool over your fantastic ferns. :cool4:

Post by Guest on Fri 16 Sep 2011, 1:56 pm

So pleased you enjoyed the first of my Ferns Joy. :smile:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 6:50 am