OUR IMAGES

Orchids in my tropical garden NO 2

default Orchids in my tropical garden NO 2

Post by Guest on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 7:56 pm

This next one is an Oncidium Orchid commonly called the dancing lady Orchids .
    This one is called Oncidium "sharry baby sweet fragrance " I have it tied onto a tree trunk using stockings or panty hose which stretch and last well until the roots of the orchid grows roots onto the tree.

Oncidium " sharry baby sweet fragrance"

Next is Oncidium flexuosum.This one arrived with flowers.

Its now attached to a tree and is doing well making new shoots .I got it at a cheap price because it had yellowing leaves and needed some TLC.

Some different Orchids not yet flowerind tied in place hopefully growing roots onto trees.One tree Dendrobiums love to grow on is Plumeria [frangipani] they are shaded by its leaves and when its tme to start flowering the Plumeria have dropped their leaves baking the orchids which the like.

This orchid is the Vanilla Orchid , it produces the pods that you but when you get Vanilla pods .

This Orchid is a spider orchid which climbs to the top of the rainforest canooy.
    Arachnis flos-aeries

These orchids are attached to a young palm tree

The Spider orchid again

That is enough for now I will return and finish with the remaining flowering orchids next time ENJOY :donald:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Orchids in my tropical garden NO 2

Post by Joy on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 9:34 pm

:wow: What an amazing collection of orchids you have, Pixie. :cool3: They are absolutely stunning & all the flowers are so beautiful. It would be wonderful to be able to grow such exquisite orchids all over the place. I'd even go so far as to buy some pantihose so I could tie them to trees, that is, if we had some (trees) of our own. :rofl:

The orchid I saw growing at a beach, on Whitsunday Island, could have been a type of oncidium or dancing lady orchid, as from memory it looked very similar. They are such beautiful flowers

You do seem to have the ideal conditions for growing such an outstanding display of gorgeous orchids. Thank you so much for showing them to us & for giving us instructions on how to get an epiphytic orchid established on a tree. :good:

Post by Guest on Tue 13 Sep 2011, 8:57 am

Joy Its my pleasure to show them to the forum .next lot be colclude the Orchids...
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 13 Sep 2011, 2:14 pm

Looking forward to seeing them, Pixie. :smile: Just wish there were more. :lol!: :wave:

Post by Guest on Tue 13 Sep 2011, 4:12 pm

Thankyou for posting the pics of your terrific orchids Pixie, and for the info on how you grow them in your rainforest garden.

Am envious of you being able to grow such exotic plants in your garden and by the way you can tie them to trees to grow.

Post by Guest on Tue 13 Sep 2011, 4:36 pm

Thank you Billy and Yes top your question, any way you can get them to stay against the tree is fine, I like stockings or panty hose myself but I have just found a plastic coated wire in hardware shop which is easy to bend and is reusable, the easy to bend is good for me as I can use only 1 hand......I have heard a product called liquid nails" is good but only for very smooth trunked trees .
    :lol2:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:46 pm

Wow such beauty!

Thank you Pixie.

I enjoyed each one.

Post by Guest on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 5:23 pm

Thank you Billy I am happy if just one person enjoys :smile:
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Thu 15 Sep 2011, 7:25 am

Well this makes 2 of us and don't forget Joy thats 3 and I'm sure Dawn is having a peak too :donald:
    Love em Pixie :)

Post by Guest on Thu 15 Sep 2011, 10:19 am

Thank you Glad and Bruiser. I aim to please . Now I am trying to decide what next , I am thinking Ferns.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 15 Sep 2011, 10:27 am

O-o-o-o-o-o-h, yes please, Pixie. :D My ferns are limited, at the moment, to some self-sown maidenhair ferns, which I love. :love:

Post by Guest on Thu 15 Sep 2011, 10:43 am

O Thats decided me its Ferns .
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 15 Sep 2011, 10:49 am

:bravo:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 11:25 pm

Well it has taken me a while to get around to your orchid threads Pixie. trying to catch up on my abscence.... It is Orchid heaven in your garden, gosh they are beautiful and how lucky you are to have such an environment to grow them in. Not knowing what your weather is like I want to ask you with it being a rainforest area do you find yourself ever having to supplement them with water or feed? this may be a stupid question, but thought I would ask it anyway :)Thank you for the great photos!

Post by Guest on Fri 07 Oct 2011, 11:23 am

Dawn Where I live we get all our big rains in the summer beginning around Christmastime ,rainfall is measured in feet not inches .My orchids look after themselves , are never fertilised or watered etc.....They live in their natural habitat therefore need nothing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 9:43 am