OUR IMAGES

Orchids in my tropical garden

default Orchids in my tropical garden

Post by Guest on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 3:43 pm

I have heaps of Orchids still in the non-flowering stage. I will show you the ones that have flowered .
    Some of my orchids are native to cape york rainforests, others are tropical from other countries,mostly SE asia....

First one grows in our rainforest garden very high up in large trees. When there is gale force wind for a long period a large tree branch can break off and come crashing down , several have just missed me over the years.If we are lucky there could be pencil orchids attached to the fallen branch ,in which case they can be tied to tree trunks lower down where viewing at flowering time is lovely.
    Here are some photo's ,some high up in the trees taken by my daughter with her u- beaut camera and some lower down that we have tied on trees .they love palm trees to grow on .....

Dendrobium tetrafolium. Pencil orchid......

I must stop here and return for the next Orchid epecies .Visitors have arrived but I will return . :donald:
    Bruce

default Re: Orchids in my tropical garden

Post by Bruce on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 4:16 pm

Sure hope you do Pixie, we would miss you and you great garden :donald:

That chain cactus sure looks to have huge leaves (segments) :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 4:21 pm

What a fantastic orchid, Pixie!! :cool3: No wonder it is called a pencil orchid. The stems really do look like pencils. They are so long!!! They sure do love the tropical climate & grow so easily as an epiphyte there. We are green with envy. :sun: :photos:

Looking forward to seeing the rest. :excited:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:55 pm

Very special to see Orchids out in their natural habitat. Lovely Pixie! thanks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 9:53 am