OUR IMAGES

Gingers in my rainforest garden NO 7

default Gingers in my rainforest garden NO 7

Post by Guest on Sat 10 Sep 2011, 4:02 pm

A giant ginger comes next, a favourite of mine and not suitable to the patio, it can grow 3 meters given optimum conditions.
    After the flowers are spent small plants form in clusters ,these clusters can be cut from the plant on a 1 ft stem and planted in the garden burying the 1 ft stem.
    When the small plants grow you have a cluster of ginger plants right away .I have the pink and the red colours.

Alpinia purpurata.giant ginger.
    this is the cluster of baby plants cut from the main plant ready to plant in the garden.

This is the pink variety...

[img][/img]

This was the day I was given a young plant in a bag to plant in the garden .

A few close ups of the pink flowers just starting to bloom.

The flowers begin small and grow longer over time until they look like the flowers in the first photo ,the process takes months.
    Next comes Alpinia zerumbet "decaryii" variegated leaf ,a popular variety that would suit the patio growing about 1 meter
    this is a winter dormant type/

Thats ALL NOW LAST LOT NEXT POST :donald:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Gingers in my rainforest garden NO 7

Post by Joy on Sat 10 Sep 2011, 5:43 pm

:wow: :wow: :wow: & :wow: !!!!! What fabulous gingers, Pixie!! The giant alpinia purpurata is spectacular & would look stunning in your magical garden. Can fully understand why it is a favourite of yours. The flowers are absolutely amazing & the colour is gorgeous. The new plants growing right out of the flower of the pink variety are fantastic. These are some more plants where you would only need to get one of. :lol2: They grow so readily in your lovely tropical climate. :love: The new plant in the trailer looks so healthy & vigorous.

The variegated leaves of the alpinia zerumbet "decaryii" are beautiful & so is the flowerhead. It would, indeed, make a great patio plant. :D

Thank you, once more, for these wonderful photos &, also, for the very interesting information you provide with them. Your garden must be so colourful. :bravo:

Post by Guest on Sat 10 Sep 2011, 6:56 pm

The majority of my gingers flower from about February and continue till Christmas, there are early ones and late ones, but with the Heliconia psittacorum variety they flower all year provided you always cut the flowering stem to ground level when the flowers are past their use by date.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 10 Sep 2011, 9:07 pm

What a wonderful display your gingers put on for you, Pixie. Mine only flower for a few months of the year before they head back into dormancy, but then, of course, the climate here is a wee bit different to that of the tropical north. :D Maybe the ones that don't have a dormant period could flower all year round, even here.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 21 Oct 2017, 7:30 pm