OUR IMAGES

Gingers in my rainforest garden N0 5

default Gingers in my rainforest garden N0 5

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Sep 2011, 10:15 am

Starting with a ginger that grows 1 1/2 meters in my garden .all gingers will grow smaller in a tub of course .
    Zingiber spectabilis..common name "beehive ginger "

This is a backscratcher ginger , its cones are very hard and last a long time .I only have a couple of photo's
    taken the day I was given the plant from a local lady ,she brought a flower cone with her to show me the flower cone .
    Its a much sought after ginger .
    Tapeinochilos ananassae

This ginger is an Alpinia zerumbet.porcelain ginger.a very tall grower.

This is the one you buy commercially to use in cooking or buy in jars in syrup in the shops.
    Zingiber officinale

better stop here but will return soon with more gingers Enjoy. :donald:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Gingers in my rainforest garden N0 5

Post by Joy on Sat 03 Sep 2011, 3:20 pm

:wow: These are wonderful, Pixie. The actual flowers on the beehive cones are really unusual & so interesting. Do love the colour changes of the cone, too. :love: The flowers on the others are very beautiful too. Are the stems of the zingiber officinale edible as well as the rhizome??

Still find it hard to believe just how many different types of gingers there are, especially as I only have mostly curcumas. They are all gorgeous & it would be difficult to choose between them all. :??:

Thank you for showing us some more of your magic garden. Am looking forward to Gingers no 6. :bravo: :lol2:

Current date/time is Thu 24 Aug 2017, 4:43 pm