OUR IMAGES

Local River Scenes

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Local River Scenes

Post by Joy on Wed 21 Oct 2009, 9:38 pm

Where we live, we are very fortunate to have, not only several surf beaches but also, a river, which is a tidal estuary. Many people enjoy fishing & swimming along its shores. A large sandbank has formed on the northern side of the river & it is a popular spot for hunting for bait, such as worms & yabbies, when the tide is low.

Fishing on the river from the rocks of the North Breakwall.

The breakwall at Wavebreak Beach.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Local River Scenes

Post by Joy on Wed 21 Oct 2009, 9:43 pm

Birds also enjoy the river & it is a popular spot for pelicans, seagulls, terns & cormorants.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 21 Oct 2009, 9:53 pm

Looking across from the North Wall & Wavebreak Beach up the river to the Boat Harbour.

A scene from the northern shore of the river.

Last edited by Joybells on Mon 17 May 2010, 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 23 Nov 2009, 9:50 pm

Another morning in winter. Winter here is usually when the skies are the clearest & the sun shines brightly.

This is known as Wavebreak Beach. The breakwalls that form this beach, in the river, help to stop waves from travelling up the river.

Seabirds find this breakwall a great place to rest & to look for fish in the river.

Last edited by Joybells on Mon 23 Nov 2009, 9:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 23 Nov 2009, 9:56 pm

The river entrance. This is normally an unpredictable bar crossing for boats but today it is looking oh, so innocent. :o

This is winter where we live. Looking across the river to Main Beach behind the North Breakwall.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 24 Nov 2009, 5:14 pm

A beautiful spot to spend some time fishing. I love fishing . I am not really any good at it, but I lose track of time when I fish. I do catch some times. But I am very dangerous to be around when casting my line. DH always sits a very safe distance from me . Any idea of what fish one could catch in this spot.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Dec 2009, 8:09 am

Have just caught up with this again. Didn't realise I hadn't answered you. :oops:

They are mostly fishing for blackfish, or to give its proper name, luderick. It is a fish that eats the weed off the rocks. Have never eaten it myself but some people love it, hence all the attempts to catch it. Bream, flathead & tailor are caught elsewhere on the river. Actually, I have never witnessed anyone catch anything. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Soooooooooooooo, you don't advise anyone to sit near you when you are fishing, eh??? :lol!:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 09 Dec 2009, 4:45 pm

"Soooooooooooooo, you don't advise anyone to sit near you when you are fishing, eh??? "

Yes absolutely, I am known to be a wild caster . It suits me though I get to fish in peace then. Thanks for the info on the fish. We seldom eat the fish we catch, unless of course it is something special like trout. We usually throw them back in makes us feel better.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Dec 2009, 9:24 pm

Bruiser & I never go fishing now. Used to when we were at sea but I only ever caught rubbish such as eels (at sea!!), even a barracuda once. Even hooked up a reef shark when we were in a rubber duck in the middle of a reef lagoon in the Great Barrier Reef!!!! That was a bit :affraid: :affraid: :affraid: !!!!!!!! Was imagining what its teeth would do to the rubber duck!!!!
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 17 Dec 2009, 6:29 pm

"
    Joybells wrote:Bruiser & I never go fishing now. Used to when we were at sea but I only ever caught rubbish such as eels (at sea!!), even a barracuda once. Even hooked up a reef shark when we were in a rubber duck in the middle of a reef lagoon in the Great Barrier Reef!!!! That was a bit :affraid: :affraid: :affraid: !!!!!!!! Was imagining what its teeth would do to the rubber duck!!!!
    "

WoW Joy that must have been really exciting, did you bring it in I think I would have just cut the line or whatever it is you do at sea fishing, in shock

Ah the Great Barrier Reef how fantastic must that have been eh
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 17 Dec 2009, 10:41 pm

Fortunately Dawn, the line snapped. Do not think a rubber duckie & sharp shark teeth would be a good mix. :lol:

Yes, the part of the Great Barrier Reef, that we saw, was a beautiful place. We did see all manner of interesting things. Wish we had had digital cameras then.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 18 Dec 2009, 5:55 am

You mentioned that the part of the Great Barrier Reef you saw was beautiful. I would love to hear about it. No mistake! Australia is a beautiful country

Yes Joy digital cameras what did we ever do without them .It was so expensive to develop the photos too. Often mine were bad pics and I still had to pay for them .

So pleased to hear the line snapped aargh Nooo definately Rubber and Shark teeth are out of the question
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 18 Dec 2009, 11:34 am

We were anchored inside of Hardy Reef lagoon at the time. It was rather unusual to see a reef shark in a lagoon but it would have come in through the opening during a high tide, I would think. This narrow opening had been blasted, through the coral reef, many, many years before to allow boats to enter the lagoon. If you have Google Earth it can be seen quite clearly. It is the one that is totally enclosed. Adjacent Hook & Line Reefs don't have lagoons as such. These reefs aren't exposed at high tide or they weren't when we were there. :lol: Also, look for tiny Heart Reef. It is only remarkable if seen from the air. Did have trouble locating that in Google Earth. Must be too small. There are plenty of pics of it if you Google it.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 17 May 2010, 9:12 pm

A view of the large sandbank in the Evans River at low tide. This was taken two years ago & the sandbank has grown.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 17 May 2010, 9:14 pm

A view upstream of the Evans River.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 17 May 2010, 9:15 pm

Another one taken at the falling tide. These pics were taken from the car as it was crossing the bridge over the river. No time to set up a shot. Just "point & shoot". :lol:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 17 May 2010, 9:20 pm

Taken as we drove off the bridge.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 17 May 2010, 9:22 pm

Looking across the river. This was taken during the peak tourist season when the reserve on the other side of the river was packed with campers. Some, of the hundreds of tents, can be seen under the trees. Another pic taken from the car as we were moving. :whistle:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 17 May 2010, 9:25 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 17 May 2010, 9:28 pm

A similar scene after the campers had, well & truly, gone. We still had plenty of tourists but they weren't campers. :D

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 17 May 2010, 9:30 pm

Looking across the river to the boat harbour.

Last edited by Joybells on Mon 17 May 2010, 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 17 May 2010, 9:34 pm

This taken from Wavebreak Beach which is on the river just inside the river entrance. This beach was formed when a wavebreak was built to protect the river from waves & surges coming in from the ocean. Has become a great little spot for families, with young children, who can paddle & splash about in relative safety.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 17 May 2010, 9:35 pm

The river entrance from Wavebreak Beach. Seabirds like to shelter here.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 17 May 2010, 9:36 pm

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:48 pm