OUR IMAGES

Tillandsia Cyanea "Pink Quill"

Dawn

default Re: Tillandsia Cyanea "Pink Quill"

Post by Dawn on Wed 19 Jan 2011, 1:58 am

Joy wrote:The dark purple coloration at the centre of some of the leaf clusters is attractive too, Dawn. Not all parts of the plant have this colouring, though. Do not know why. :lol2: Think it may be the newer offshoot plants.

I do too Joy I prefer it to the other ones. My reason for liking it better is that I think it's foliage is nicer for me it's more feminine looking. The others are great but very robust in stature. Maybe that is why there are so many men who are Bromeliad lovers ??
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 19 Jan 2011, 1:51 pm

Bruiser likes our tillandsia cyanea but I think he has learnt to like all our plants. :lol2: You may be right about men & bromeliads, Dawn. There was that guy in GG who was a so-called bromeliad expert, though it turned out he was somewhat of a plagiarist if I remember correctly. It was quite a while ago, though I do remember some sort of "scandal" involving him. :cool4:

Anyhow, thought I'd drag out this pic of a bfromeliad "stall" at one of the weekend markets that abound in our region. The guy in the hat & singlet is the grower & seller of these gorgeous bromeliads.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 19 Jan 2011, 7:57 pm

First off thanks for this great image. I have seen it before I think but never realised the first time that they were Bromeliad's :cool3: Also the image this time is nice and big, with great colours. Ah! so this is where you get your exotic plants Joy! :cool4: I could just visualise walking around this market. I think I also recognise some of yours in there Joy? :dance2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 19 Jan 2011, 10:01 pm

Well, I did buy our curcuma laddawan "Siam Jewel" at this market, Dawn, but not from this stall. I actually bought it from a seller from whom my son & DIL had "shouted" me a plant (the curcuma "Voodoo Magic") the day before when he was at another market. The adenium obesum was also a present from DS & DIL the previous year & it was from yet another market. My DIL loves these weekend markets & has an unerring ability to sniff them out from many kms away. We must go to a couple, at least, when they are visiting from Sydney. :smile: The Northern Rivers region is famous for all its w/e markets.

The rest of our plants generally come from Big W. :lol2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 19 Jan 2011, 10:30 pm

:cool3: DIL is a good person to keep in touch with :) I love markets too.

Ok the Big W. They had one in Wales we used to go there when we lived in Newport, we bought our telly there. We still have it :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 20 Jan 2011, 11:00 am

While I quite enjoy our markets, Dawn & would probably buy heaps of plants, if I could carry them all, I only go to them when I am taken by my son & DIL while they are visiting here. There is even one here in town every fourth Sat (or Sun, not sure) & have only been a couple of times. :whistle:

Big W here is in the Australian Woolworth's empire &, yep, they do sell TVs, etc, etc, etc. We shop there every two weeks on Shopping Day. :cool4:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Feb 2011, 3:54 pm

The three quills of the tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" are a lovely bright pink now. Do not think it will be long before they have their beautiful violet/blue flowers. :excited:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 11 Feb 2011, 5:32 pm

Yesterday, the day after the above image was taken, the tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" popped out two flowers on the each of two of the quills. Quite a surprise as there had been no sign of any buds!! :O

These are the first images of these flowers that I have taken with my new camera. The violet/blue is a wee bit closer to the true colour than my previous camera was able to capture.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 11 Feb 2011, 5:34 pm

The other quill with two flowers. Never saw the second flower at first as it was right under the quill.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 11 Feb 2011, 5:35 pm

Another view of the tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" from the top.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 22 Feb 2011, 9:47 pm

The tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" continues to flower. Its flowers are such a dramatic colour against its fluoro pink quills or bracts. The flowers really stand out.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 22 Feb 2011, 9:48 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 12 Mar 2011, 2:34 pm

The other day our tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" produced three flowers on each of the three quills. That was nine flowers all told. This is wonderful!! We were thrilled. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 12 Mar 2011, 2:35 pm

Two of these quills are at an awkward angle to take pics of their flowers. This is one of them.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 12 Mar 2011, 2:37 pm

This is the other. Still cannot quite capture the beautiful violet/blue of these flowers.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 12 Mar 2011, 4:09 pm

Gosh those colours you have captured are stunning enough Joy!, aren't they wonderful :) and you have got *three* of them all at once!! :cool4:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 12 Mar 2011, 5:18 pm

Aren't they wonderful, Dawn. :love: Didn't even use Saturation as that made the flowers too blue instead of the violet/blue. :cool4: The three quill bracts still seem to be flowering. but one quill, at least, is starting to change colour. :cry2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 01 Apr 2011, 10:37 am

The three tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" bracts are still flowering. This is much longer than previously. Then, again, it has never had three quills (bracts) before, either. Must enjoy being potbound. :whistle:

This image is closer to the true colour of the flowers.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 16 Apr 2011, 3:33 pm

This image of tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" flowers, from a week later, captures their true colour even better. Cannot believe just how long these quills are flowering. They used to just have two lots of flowers then die off. The quills are starting to die off but they are still flowering.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 16 Apr 2011, 4:34 pm

OMGosh isnt that a beautiful petal bouquet, so fascinating with those two colours :love:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 16 Apr 2011, 5:14 pm

Yes, it is a wonderful colour combination, Dawn. The fluoro pink & the violet flowers are quite stunning. I fear they are now coming to the end of their flowering cycle. It will soon be time for me to repot. Ahem. ;) That is, when I get round to it. :think2: :whistle: :lol:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:02 pm

Still haven't repotted the tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill". :blush2: A new quill has started to grow on it, too. The previous quills are still on the plant & they aren't ready to be removed. It isn't, yet, the bright pink it will be when it is bigger.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 03 Feb 2012, 4:22 pm

The tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" bract is becoming its wonderful bright fluoro pink.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 4:19 pm

The tillandsia cyanea Pink Quill" quill has started to flower. Thankfully, my latest camera has been able to almost capture the correct shade of violet blue of these beautiful but short lived flowers.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 4:59 pm

stunning colours Joy! :photos: they are beautiful. You have a great camera! :good:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 5:13 pm

Thanks Dawn. :thanks: :smile: Yes, this FujiFilm Finepix camera does the trick & captures colours closer to their real shades, especially these very bright shades. :bravo:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 24 Aug 2017, 4:36 pm