OUR IMAGES

Tillandsia Cyanea "Pink Quill"

Dawn

default Re: Tillandsia Cyanea "Pink Quill"

Post by Dawn on Sat 01 Jan 2011, 7:14 pm

That is exactly it Joy! they sell water friendly plants and the run of the mill as it is what is going to sell that makes for profit. Also the easiest to propogate I should imagine. Oh well I shouldn't complain at least we have some GC's still "alive" :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 01 Jan 2011, 10:13 pm

Which is a good thing, Dawn. :cool3: Many of the local nurseries here, have succumbed to so-called, "market forces". Or perhaps they were just bad business people. Who knows. The large chains have the market all sewn up I think. Of course, there is internet buying too.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 02 Jan 2011, 4:09 pm

Yes I forgot about that Joy!, yet strange thing I don't think they look at internet buying as competition, they are forever referring me to the internet :roll:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 02 Jan 2011, 9:26 pm

That is how we bought the billbergia nutans, Dawn. Bruiser found them on eBay after we, unsuccessfully, looked for them elsewhere. They were grown at a small nursery only about 300kms north of us so they came from a similar climate which meant they had a good chance of doing ok here. :excited: That also meant they didn't have far to travel. :cool3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 03 Jan 2011, 8:04 pm

You were extremely lucky Joy to find them so close. You lucky ol thing :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 03 Jan 2011, 9:37 pm

Some of them had another 500kms to travel, after they arrived here, Dawn. :O I repacked the ones I was sending to Nelbel & posted them the same afternoon they arrived here. Had to make sure she got them before the weekend. Didn't want them lying around some mail centre for the Saturday & Sunday. :hot!:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 03 Jan 2011, 10:30 pm

Good for- thought Joy. It is a good job these plants travel well :good:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 04 Jan 2011, 2:09 pm

As I mentioned, billbergia nutans are such tough cookies, Dawn, especially for a plant that has such strangely beautiful flowers. :rofl:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 05 Jan 2011, 8:06 pm

In my travels on Google looking for these plants for sale. I see there are all sorts of varieties of Billbergia. I also found a forum that had plants for sale but I am still waiting to be approved I can't communicate or see the photos of what exactly would be on sale either, unless I get onto the site?? It has been a while now and still no response. Do you think I may be a risk in the making :donald:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 05 Jan 2011, 9:19 pm

Most definitely, Dawn. :rofl: They are probably waiting to check your rap sheet. :whistle: Their plants must be very precious if you have to join a forum even to see their plants before buying them. :huh2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 05 Jan 2011, 9:24 pm

:lol!: Oh dear ... maybe if I send them my real isp and my real name they may respond, even better maybe I should send them my case workers phone number do you think that might work :whistle:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 05 Jan 2011, 9:55 pm

:donald: It just might, Dawn. Maybe a reference from some bigwig, as well, might do the trick. :whistle: Or some bribery.... :cheers2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 05 Jan 2011, 9:58 pm

:smile:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 06 Jan 2011, 4:05 am

I was just wondering maybe the sale offer is only to forum members?? Oh well who cares I am just so hot!!! at the moment Phew 7.00pm and it is 33 deg C I know this is not the weather forum but one seems to carry this heat around with oneself :lol!:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 06 Jan 2011, 9:46 am

That is definitely hot for that time of the evening, Dawn. :O This sort of heat does tend to dominate whatever you are doing. It is there all the time. Even a cool shower makes you feel hot after you are towelled off. :roll:

It does sound as though someone wants to make money from their forum. Hhmph!! :mad3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 06 Jan 2011, 4:23 pm

I had umpteen showers yesterday! and you are right I felt good each time for a split second :lol2:

The thing is these Tillandsia's are not available from normal growers so this is the only place I have a chance of getting some. I just don't understand why it is taking so long for them to say yes or no to me joining?. Look I am not really worried about it, if they want to check me out so be it. But how long does that take ? All I want to do is buy some plants :). I can't even send any one a message LOL
    I googled my email address and there were a few of my posts to an english forum on gloriosa's which I made about three years ago or so. BUT someone else has an address very similar to mine :lol2: and They are living in China !!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 06 Jan 2011, 5:25 pm

Perhaps it takes a while to get an Interpol report back, Dawn. :lol!: :whistle:

Maybe the admin is away on holidays at the moment. If so they should give someone else the steering wheel for this time. :pirate4:

Have never thought of Googling my Gmail acc. All I found was several of my Picasa web albums & that someone with the same name is the mayor of a town in Broward County in Florida. :curtsy: :whistle: :lol2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 06 Jan 2011, 6:36 pm

If I am not mistaken Joy! I have been back several days since trying to register to see if perhaps I can log in and was not sent a notification. Yes you could be right they could be away for holidays! but the people who seem to head things seem to have been posting in these last few days. Ah well! I just wish I could buy those plants :lol: I think I will try and look elsewhere that's all , no sweat :) I am sweating enough in this heat as it is :sun: :roll: I think I will look for a Bromeliad Society here maybe there is one ?? as I think Tillandsia is a type of Bromeliad isn't it. They can maybe refer me to sellers.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 06 Jan 2011, 8:50 pm

Yes, Dawn, tillandsias are a member of the bromeliad family, or bromeliaceae, as is the billbergia nutans (it is said this is one of the more common members of this family) & aechmeas, such as ours, the aechmea fasciata "Primera". They are all epiphytic.

The forum is sounding more & more like a secret society. :whistle: :lol:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 07 Jan 2011, 7:39 am

Joy wrote:Perhaps it takes a while to get an Interpol report back, Dawn. :lol!: :whistle:

Maybe the admin is away on holidays at the moment. If so they should give someone else the steering wheel for this time. :pirate4:

Have never thought of Googling my Gmail acc. All I found was several of my Picasa web albums & that someone with the same name is the mayor of a town in Broward County in Florida. :curtsy: :whistle: :lol2:

I would not of thought of googling mine except I have an artist friend in europe , she sells her paintings internationally. She googled her name and email account only to find there was another artist with the exact same name. Also to add to the coincidence she does not have a name like brown or smith it is an unusual name to say the least. She was astounded and did not sound happy either. :whistle: She suggested just for fun for us to do the same.

I had to tell you this little story :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 07 Jan 2011, 10:01 am

Your poor friend, Dawn. It is amazing who has the same name, or similar, when you Google someone's name. My name is nothing spectacular so there would be plenty with the same name if I Googled my name. Did Google my DIL, who is a rather successful illustrator, especially of children's books & who has a fairly unusual surname. An actress in New York popped up with exactly the same name, including first name. She would be roughly the same age as my DIL, too. With the surname they share, they would most likely be related in some way. The family would definitely come from the same part of Italy.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 13 Jan 2011, 9:46 pm

The tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" is now starting to live up to its name, as its quills (bracts) are turning a lovely bright pink. I am really keen to see how well my new camera captures the lovely violet/blue of the actual flowers. :apgch:

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 14 Jan 2011, 4:50 am

:excited: They are amazing flowers. And I like the leaves they to me are more pleasing to the eye than the other Bromeliads. I love them too but I think I like this one better :cool4:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Jan 2011, 2:57 pm

The dark purple coloration at the centre of some of the leaf clusters is attractive too, Dawn. Not all parts of the plant have this colouring, though. Do not know why. :lol2: Think it may be the newer offshoot plants.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 19 Jan 2011, 1:58 am

Joy wrote:The dark purple coloration at the centre of some of the leaf clusters is attractive too, Dawn. Not all parts of the plant have this colouring, though. Do not know why. :lol2: Think it may be the newer offshoot plants.

I do too Joy I prefer it to the other ones. My reason for liking it better is that I think it's foliage is nicer for me it's more feminine looking. The others are great but very robust in stature. Maybe that is why there are so many men who are Bromeliad lovers ??

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Dec 2017, 5:20 am