OUR IMAGES

Gingers in my rainforest garden NO 3

default Gingers in my rainforest garden NO 3

Post by Guest on Mon 29 Aug 2011, 12:14 pm

Next ginger would be ok for patio growing reaching about 1 meter .maybe less in a tub.
    Hedychium coronarium .common name white butterfly ginger , it has a beautiful perfume and flowers from the tops of the flower stems.It comes in other than white I have one only small yet and not planted out yet its I think red & yellow.

Hedychium coronarium.

Now one that does well in a pot ,multiplies very fast and go winter dormany ,a very low on the ground plant .
    Kaempheria pulchra .common name peacock ginger .flower purple fades to white.

Another small one suitable for pots is Siphonochillis invulocratus .

Stopping her will continue soon have plenty more to feature Enjoy :donald:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Gingers in my rainforest garden NO 3

Post by Joy on Mon 29 Aug 2011, 1:50 pm

My word, there are so many different types of gingers, aren't there, Pixie?? They are all so wonderful & such exciting plants. The Hedychium coronarium has such delicate & beautiful flowers. The red & yellow (if that is what it turns out to be) would be stunning.

The Kaempheria pulchra, or Peacock ginger, has such very interesting leaves along with its pretty flower. Though, I guess, it would be mainly grown for its foliage.

The Siphonochillis invulocratus has leaves which are a wee bit similar to our curcuma "Voodoo Magic" but its flower is different. I still cannot get over just how diverse the ginger family is with all the varied foliage & flowers available within it. :cool4:

These are such attractive plants & you have such an ideal location for growing them. Thank you, so much, for posting these images & for giving us your suggestions re the suitability of some of these plants for growing in pots. Very handy. :smile:

Post by Guest on Mon 29 Aug 2011, 6:03 pm

Joy if you google Hedychium all species you will see all the colours available . Thank you for your comments .many more species to come soon. :good:

Post by Guest on Mon 29 Aug 2011, 6:09 pm

Thanks for posting your great pics of the gingers Pixie. Facinating leaves and flowers. Its not a plant i know much about at all, but they used to grow several pots of them in the greenhouses at one of the big houses i used to work at. What i remember of them is they were green, with long narrow leaves,well over a metre tall and with perfumed white flowers. And i think they used to harvest some of the roots.

But afraid the memory fades with age, and its quite a while since i worked there.

Once again thanks for posting the pics of your wonderfully diverse natural garden with all its interesting plants.

Sorry to hear it was ligament trouble but hope things are improving now, good luck.

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Mon 29 Aug 2011, 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest on Mon 29 Aug 2011, 6:22 pm

Thank you for you comments Billy ,all gingers are edible but some don't taste good so you would'nt
    eat them and most of the ginger flowers are also edible.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 29 Aug 2011, 9:04 pm

Did Google hedychium, as you suggested, Pixie & there are some really stunning flowers in this species. They are gorgeous. Even Bruiser was tempted by an offer, from the lady we bought our billbergia nutans "Queen's Tears" from, via eBay. She is at the Sunshine Coast & is selling hedychium, among other gingers, for $2.50 each. :sun: :cool4:

At the moment, I am just waiting for our curcumas & zingiber to come out of their dormancy. It will be exciting to see what the new ones are like.

Post by Guest on Mon 29 Aug 2011, 9:50 pm

Joy that ebay seller has very low prices .
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:27 am

Here is a link to her site Pixie, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:44 am

you can purchase directly from that site bypassing Ebay if you want :D

Post by Guest on Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:00 am

Thank you for the link :smile:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 9:49 am