OUR IMAGES

Gingers in my rainforest garden

default Gingers in my rainforest garden

Post by Guest on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 9:26 am

I have quite a lot of tropical gingers in my garden,so here are a few to start ,

Zingiber malaysiana ...common name black midnight ginger .
    It is a beautiful medium size ginger with foliage to about 1 meter making it a great patio plant with leaves very dark.
    When the flowering cones emerge from the base of the plant they are very yellow ,they start changing through the months till they end finally a lovely pink .the little flowers which are white to cream pop out from the cones.below you will see the changes .....

At this stage I had it planted in my garden which is red volcanic soil ,we set oscar owl to guard it from the turkeys who love to dig up newly planted plants.

You can see more yellow cones emerging from underground .I really love watching the changes of the plant.

That is the flowering cycle of this quite hard to find black ginger. ENJOY .I will post more gingers in gingers 2 when I return .
    :donald:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Gingers in my rainforest garden

Post by Joy on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 10:26 am

Hello there, Pixie. It is good to see you & I hope your ankle is much improved. :smile:

This an absolutely beautiful ginger, Pixie. Adore the leaf colour & the flowering cones. I am a real sucker for these plants & did buy two curcumas from our local weekend markets three years ago. Then late May, this year, we saw some pots of curcumas & a zingiber, at Bunnings, which were dormant & marked down to a dollar each. Poor things just looked like empty pots with dry soil but, luckily, I knew what they were & grabbed seven of them. Six curcumas & one zingiber, though one pot is unmarked so it will be interesting to see what it is when it awakens.

Our gingers are still sound asleep, I'm afraid & I am so envious of yours being so lovely already. I know that not all gingers go dormant for the dry season, so am wondering if this zingiber is one of those types??

Thank you so much for posting these wonderful images of this fantastic plant. It is really gorgeous. Gosh, I wished I had more patio room. :whistle:

Post by Guest on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 3:01 pm

Thank you so much Joy so pleased you enjoyed the black ginger .My ankle proved to be torn ligament so will take a while yet . I cannot walk on it yet. :hi:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 3:08 pm

A torn ligament would be very nasty & painful, Pixie. :O Bruiser & I wish you all the very best & hope you will soon be on the mend. Do hope you can still get around in your scooter, to see your gorgeous plants. :smile:

Post by Guest on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 6:45 pm

At the moment its wheelchair out to scooter and hop on one foot to get onto scooter .So I am out every day for a few hours in the garden.My 2nd daughter and hubby are her for a month [their month is up in a weeks time]to relieve eldest daughter and carer who has gone on a respite holiday .
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 8:45 pm

My word, Pixie, that is some effort you have to put in to get around, but I am so pleased, for you, that you are able to get out to your magical garden. It is such a wonderful place which would lift your spirits no end. :D

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 2:44 am