OUR IMAGES

The Fall Garden

Glad E Olah

default Re: The Fall Garden

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 08 Aug 2012, 3:40 pm

Yes, the mentally challenged one at that. He helped me plant this evening. Did a good job.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 08 Aug 2012, 4:30 pm

It is wonderful for the both of you that he does enjoy working in the garden & very helpful. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 11 Aug 2012, 10:11 am

The turnips are coming through the ground. Been keeping the soil moist. Other items should appear within a few days also.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 11 Aug 2012, 10:13 am

That is good news, Glad. :D Really do hope your fall garden does very well.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 11 Aug 2012, 10:18 am

Thanks Joy. It will be fun to watch grow.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 11 Aug 2012, 10:21 am

These are great vegetables to grow for fall, too, aren't they??
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 11 Aug 2012, 10:23 am

Yes they are. They like cooler temps.

Tell me a bit about your up coming spring planting.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 11 Aug 2012, 10:35 am

Nothing for me, Glad, as we don't have a "proper" garden, just pots & containers. :lol3: Plus we really don't have a spring in the traditional sense, such as blossoms & new leaf growth, as this happens right through the year, especially winter. The only spring green flush we see is on the dreaded pest tree, camphor laurel, which is not native to Australia.

Plants & veggies that are grown at spring elsewhere seem to do better here during winter, which is what happened with my latest fuchsia cuttings. Speaking of which I must do some more. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 11 Aug 2012, 1:49 pm

I know you are no doubt looking forward to spring.....I am looking forward to fall....this has been the hottest summer ever and driest too!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 11 Aug 2012, 2:12 pm

Bruiser is certainly looking forward to the warmer weather coming, Glad. We have had a very cool winter with temps down to 61°F, during the day, which is cold for us. :cold:
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Mon 13 Aug 2012, 3:52 am

Yep it's been FREEZING all right,hope it cools off for you soon Glad :yes:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 16 Aug 2012, 1:50 pm

Joy wrote:Bruiser is certainly looking forward to the warmer weather coming, Glad. We have had a very cool winter with temps down to 61°F, during the day, which is cold for us.

Oh dear sorry but I must laugh! Very cold at 61? I wish it would stay 61 all year round for me. I would love it! You can have the 100 plus temps.

I apologize for laughing but could not help myself.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 16 Aug 2012, 1:52 pm

bruiser wrote:Yep it's been FREEZING all right,hope it cools off for you soon Glad

Thanks Bruiser. I can handle what Joy mentioned as "cool".

Fall seeds are all coming up now. I need to apply miracle grow.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 16 Aug 2012, 2:03 pm

You are allowed to laugh at what we label as :cold: , Glad, especially when we, also, have to pay big money to go down to the Snowy country. :lol3:

So very pleased for you that your Fall garden is coming alive. All the very best for a bountiful crop.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 5:12 am

The remnants of Hurricane Issac came through my area last Friday and Saturday dumping about 6 inches of much needed rain. Since then it rained on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Thursday's rain (yesterday for me) was a strong storm and may get more late Friday (today). The seeds are all coming up now since the rain. Now we need to have a few more weeks of no frost.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 5:47 am

It is good to hear you have receive so much beneficial rain, Glad & your seeds are sprouting. Not so good about the possibility for storms, though.

Did see news reports that Isaac was going to deliver much needed rain to the farmers in some areas. Do hope that did eventuate & that not too much flooding occurred.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 2:57 pm

Hello Glad :) hope your sprouting seeds are doing well and Jack frost stayed away!
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 15 Sep 2012, 2:44 pm

Hello everyone!

Fall garden is not doing well as I wanted but I am not sorry it was planted. We are eating cucumbers and radishes. Won't be long for squash if frost stays away. It was so dry that some of the seeds did not come up and then the heavy rain we had about 10 days ago caused the seed to go ahead and sprout. Not sure if it is to late now or not and only time will tell. Our nights have been rather chilly so frost is not far away I am afraid.

My son has been busy with yard work too. He is building me a deck off the back. I am really excited. I will get pictures. Right now the posts are being set in concrete so nothing to show yet. He also finished the exit out of the house to the carport. It is nice to go outside in the rain to get to the truck without getting wet.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 15 Sep 2012, 3:26 pm

Hi Glad!!

At least you are getting some delicious produce from your fall garden to eat. That is wonderful, isn't it?? The newer sprouts might be as good as well. We can only hope so, can't we??

Your son certainly has been busy. The deck will be a wonderful addition to your home & will be very useful, as will the exit to the carport. That will be very handy, especially during cold & wet weather, as well as when you have to lug stuff into the house from the car. Excellent!! :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 11:30 am

I have been hoping that frost would be delayed until after
    my fall crop of beans could be harvested at least once. Today I picked
    almost a dish pan full! It is ok for frost to come but the longer it
    holds off the more beans I can pick!

Awesome!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 2:01 pm

This is great to hear, Glad. We sure hope the frost stays away, from your veggie garden, long enough to allow you to have some more bean harvests. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 2:04 pm

Thanks Joy!
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 4:00 pm

This is good you are still able to harvest :good: . I also hope the frost lays off for you until you get them all Glad ! :luck:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 26 Oct 2012, 1:14 pm

I am happy with what I am getting. If frost is on the horizon then I am ready.

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:48 pm