OUR IMAGES

The Fall Garden

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: The Fall Garden

Post by Joy on Sun 09 Oct 2011, 10:01 am

It definitely would not hurt to give the beans some extra nourishment with the Miracle Grow. Might give them a boost & get them ready for eating before the frosts come. It is rather exciting, isn't it, Glad?? :D

That is a good idea to get the empty parts of your garden tilled & ready for winter. Looking forward to seeing the pics.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 14 Oct 2011, 4:05 pm

Still no frost yet and I am happy. None called for at least 10 days. I am hoping to pick a mess of beans next week. They are about an inch long now.

I had a big pan of wilted lettuce yesterday and gave my daughter enough for her to wilt. Boy was it good. Will be more to pick soon.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:45 pm

This is great, Glad. So very pleased your veggie garden continues to produce so well. Do hope the frosts stay away for some time yet & give your beans time to "grow up".
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 5:05 am

Me too Joy.

Taking one day at a time now.

The nights have been chilly but days warm up to almost 80 degrees.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 1:45 pm

To look on the bright side, Glad, cooler nights make it more comfortable for sleeping, doesn't it?? Plus, you still have the warmer days to enjoy. :good:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 16 Oct 2011, 2:07 pm

Joy wrote:To look on the bright side, Glad, cooler nights make it more comfortable for sleeping, doesn't it?? Plus, you still have the warmer days to enjoy.

Yes Joy.

The weather man has just said we may have frost next week. Oh dear. It is bound to happen sooner or later.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 16 Oct 2011, 2:23 pm

Oh dear, Glad. Let's hope your weather man is as "accurate" as most weather men (or women) are. :lol2:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 17 Oct 2011, 7:52 am

Joy wrote:Oh dear, Glad. Let's hope your weather man is as "accurate" as most weather men (or women) are.

Joy, I am prepared for the frost. I have an old table cloth that will fit right over the bush beans. Nothing to help the poll beans for they are higher off the ground. The rabbits ate the tops off them when they first came up anyway so they didn't have much of a chance. They did not touch the bush beans for some reason. A light frost won't hurt the potatoes. And the lettuce and spinach will have a towel draped over them. I knew I was taking a chance so it has been fun watching the garden grow. I think a few more days would get me a mess of beans but they are slower growing this time of the year with the cooler nights.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 17 Oct 2011, 9:32 pm

Might have to give the beans a bit of a rev up with some Miracle Grow or some other "stimulant", Glad. :D

It does seem as though you are as well prepared, as anyone could be, to protect those parts of your garden, that are still producing, from the frosts. I have to say I am in awe of all the preparations, & precautions, gardeners in the cooler climes have to undertake, to protect their plants & gardens from the frosts & snow. We have it all too easy, where we live, as far as such things are concerned.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 18 Oct 2011, 8:36 am

Joy wrote:Might have to give the beans a bit of a rev up with some Miracle Grow or some other "stimulant", Glad.

It does seem as though you are as well prepared, as anyone could be, to protect those parts of your garden, that are still producing, from the frosts. I have to say I am in awe of all the preparations, & precautions, gardeners in the cooler climes have to undertake, to protect their plants & gardens from the frosts & snow. We have it all too easy, where we live, as far as such things are concerned.

Well it was I who wanted the fall garden. Most gardeners around here have already tilled theirs for the winter.

Today I cleaned out the two storage sheds at the back of the house. The yard is getting cleaned too. The tea plants have a nice blanket of mowed leaves and grass clippings.

I checked the beans and they still need a few more days. I did put the miracle grown on them this morning. What will be will be. I will cover them when they predict frost later in the week. The days are suppose to be warm so we will have to take the covers off when the sun warms up the ground some.

I picked all the lettuce and spinach that I could today. Peppers were picked yesterday but Wednesday will pick them clean for sure.

The tomatoes that are left I will get them and place them in the frig.

Now for the beans....we will see what happens. I noticed some are almost ready to eat.

Will keep everyone informed.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 18 Oct 2011, 8:56 am

All your hard work is, most definitely, repaying you with handsome dividends, Glad. Perhaps when others in your area see how much you are getting from your late season gardening they may be tempted to do the same. The warm days will be great, still, for growing. :D

Happy harvesting & healthy eating. :smile:

When I said cooler climes, I did mean just winter. :giggle:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 26 Oct 2011, 4:29 pm

I did get to pick the beans yesterday....not quite enough to cook for a meal but will be by the next picking. They had to be covered two nights last week but it has warmed up until the end of this week when temps may drop to frosty levels. I will have a second picking on my Thursday. And now I am a happy camper for that is all I wanted was to say I had at least one mess of beans. I will cook them in a few days after the next picking.

Off to sleep everyone. Happy posting.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 26 Oct 2011, 4:35 pm

Great news, Glad. So happy for you that the weather co-operated & you are able to get a feed of your beans. They will taste delicious. Fresh is definitely best when it come to beans. :D

Post by Guest on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 7:13 pm

Good job with your fall garden Glad. we will never know what we can do unless we try. I'm afraid that my late runner beans are going to be a failure. but until the frosts i'll keep hopeful.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 01 Nov 2011, 1:47 pm

We have been covering the beans, lettuce and spinach. I picked enough beans for a nice pot. Perhaps I can pick them again one more time. They will be covered for as long as we have light frost. The heavy freeze is a different story.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 01 Nov 2011, 1:55 pm

Good work, Glad. Do hope the heavy frosts won't bother you for awhile yet.

If you happen to have too much spinach, to eat at once before the heavy frosts arrive, it is easy to freeze for later use.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 28 Jul 2012, 2:36 pm

Two days in a row we received afternoon rain showers. I am in the mood now to plant some fall stuff. So next week that is what I plan to do.

My neck pain is almost gone and I am so happy about that.

Happy about the rain too!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 28 Jul 2012, 2:51 pm

Good news all round, Glad. :bravo: Can fully empathise with you re your neck pain. That can be quite debilitating.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 28 Jul 2012, 5:53 pm

That's wonderful to hear Glad. Also good to hear your neck pain is much improved. Look after it while planting the fall stuff.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 1:08 pm

Neck pain is gone and I am a happy camper.

We have had a couple of nice rain showers the last week or so and that has helped.

Today my son tilled the garden to plant fall garden.

We now have 2 rows of turnips, 1 row of bush beans, 3 side of fences for
    snow peas, 1 row of beets, 1 hill zucchini, 1 hill yellow squash, and 1
    fence row of poll beans planted and watered the areas. Darkness came so
    hopefully tomorrow evening will be lettuce, spinach, and radishes. I need to probably buy more lettuce,
    spinach, beets and turnips. What seeds I had may not be enough.

Hoping for rain often and no frost 'til at least October!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 2:12 pm

That would be huge relief to be rid of your neck pain, Glad. I know I was when mine finally disappeared. It would have limited your activities immensely while you were suffering it.

You certainly have done plenty in your fall garden with more to come. Do hope the weather is good to you & your garden & that all goes well. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 2:27 pm

Thanks Joy. I will take pictures now the old dried up stuff is over.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 2:33 pm

It will do you good to see some lovely green growth in your veggie garden again, Glad.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 08 Aug 2012, 3:29 pm

It sure will Joy. Since the few rains we have had green has come back but the wrong kind. Yep! Weeds! Son got rid of them when he tilled though.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 08 Aug 2012, 3:37 pm

That is one very helpful son you have there, Glad. :bravo:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 08 Aug 2012, 3:40 pm

Yes, the mentally challenged one at that. He helped me plant this evening. Did a good job.

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:50 pm