OUR IMAGES

The Fall Garden

Glad E Olah

default The Fall Garden

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:51 pm

As mentioned in another thread I did plant a few veggies for fall.

Lettuce is up great and as the temps lower a bit will begin to grow.

Spinach came up spotty. Not sure if there is time now to replant. I do have a package of seed left.

Turnips are growing so good that next week I may be able to snip a few leaves to cook.

Beets....two small patches planted one is not doing well at all and the other is about ok. Think it was too hot for the small plants.

Every single bean (pole and bush came up). I noticed when I was watering last night a rabbit must have gotten to one row of beans. (The pole beans) I am hoping the plants will come out of it. I know the sweet potatoes had signs of rabbits stress at first.

Speaking of sweet potatoes.......the vines are starting to die back now so I may dig into them soon just to see what is under there. They vined out the complete length of the section and tried to come over the blocks. I kept putting them back inside.

The lima beans I continued to water even though I have not picked any. I noticed a few dried ones so I can pick those for dried beans. Strange though the plants are full of blooms just like last year. I am wondering if they need a special ingredient in the soil to produce a good crop of beans. I am continuing to water until frost and I may get enough to eat a mess.

As mentioned before the okra is winding down. Takes two days of picking to get enough to fry now. I will now focus on freezing the okra for soup. I have a few packages frozen but not nearly enough. If the weather stays cooler the okra will take longer to grow.

Tomato plants are dying off but still get enough to enjoy and give to daughter. Those volunteer plants are really huge now and loaded with blooms. I may plant them next year along one of the fences. Tomato wires just do not do well for them.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: The Fall Garden

Post by Joy on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 9:09 pm

What a busy time you still are having in your garden, Glad. It is fantastic to hear how well your veggies are doing. Do hope you will have plenty in store, for your winter pleasure. I'd imagine that okra would freeze very well, too. Tomatoes certainly do & you seem to have plenty of those. Wonderful.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 8:57 am

Okra freezes well. After my picking in a few minuets there will be maybe a gallon bag to freeze.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 9:04 am

That is quite a few okra, Glad. Do hope you have a good sized freezer with all the produce you have had to freeze this summer. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 29 Aug 2011, 7:58 am

Joy wrote:That is quite a few okra, Glad. Do hope you have a good sized freezer with all the produce you have had to freeze this summer.

I could use a bigger freezer....but ok for now.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:23 am

Okra will slow down a lot now that is is cool. I pickled two large jars yesterday.

This evening I picked a plastic grocery sack full of turnip green tops. Will taste great tomorrow.

I said good bye to the one patch of spinach and lettuce. Just did not do well with the heat. Also the beets one by one are gone too.

I replanted the spinach and lettuce last week but seeds have not come up yet. Had the seeds so thought I might as well plant them.

And the lima beans are finally making pods but don't think they will have time to fill out. If frost is delayed maybe I can pick them once.

Tomorrow I plan to do some cleaning up in some places. Yesterday I cleaned out the composter ready for leaves and coffee grounds. Son did not get the blocks laid this summer for the compost bins so will just place the veggie scraps throughout the garden to help build up the soil.

We will be getting the neighbor's leaves. He mulches them up and brings them over and dumps them on the garden. We do have several trees in the lower part of the yard that will be of use with leaves also.

Must call the horse farmer behind me to see if he can bring more horse manure. Also the tree man for more mulch.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:05 am

You do seem to be running a "well-oiled machine" with your garden, Glad. Everything seems to be running smoothly. It is understandable that certain things will not tolerate heatwaves, especially so late in the season. Am wondering if the lima beans can be picked young, as in "baby" beans, if frosts start too early??

All that great mulch & horse manure will be terrific for your garden for the winter months ahead & will give it a wonderful head start next planting & growing season. :bravo:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 08 Sep 2011, 7:36 am

The lima bean pods are growing but no beans inside yet. Time will tell. I have said I may not plant them next year but I have been known to change my mind.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 08 Sep 2011, 8:42 am

Haven't we all?? :whistle: :lol!:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:31 pm

Right Joy!

Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:30 am

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to work in my garden. I had a heavy work schedule the past ten days at my job. Today I rested for I was bone tired from the extra work.

I took a look at the garden today and did pick lettuce. Oh is it ever good.

The beans are blooming and the potatoes are about to. Frost hold off another couple weeks please.

We got a good rain over the past weekend. Sweet potatoes are showing signs of new growth.

Turnips are making and the new spinach is growing.

I saw something interesting today. The spot where I had spring lettuce it must have went to seed before I pulled it up in late June. There is little lettuce seedlings all over the ground there. Hey it might make also. Guess it was crying out for cooler and more moist soil to sprout up.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:29 pm

:D Self seeding lettuces, eh, Glad. Do hope some will reach maturity before the frosts arrive. Same with the potatoes & beans. :luck:

It all sounds to be going well in your veggie garden. Good stuff!! :smile: :cool3:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 01 Oct 2011, 1:31 am

Well if frost catches it I still enjoyed the view and the fun to watch the seeds grow.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 01 Oct 2011, 10:21 am

That is so true, Glad. :D Then it will be time to start planning for next year's garden. At least, most of the hard work has already been done this time, hasn't it??
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 1:14 pm

Yes Joy.

We got real close to frost last night. (Saturday) I am digging the sweet potatoes tomorrow. (Monday)

Did not have time to do gardening today. I did take a look and the beans are full of blooms. When I hear there is frost definitely predicted I will try to cover the beans and the lettuce. I am hoping for one mess of beans.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 1:34 pm

There sure is nothing better, Glad, than beans, fresh picked, from your garden. Think I have mentioned that we used to, as kids, eat them raw off the vine. Yummy. :D
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 5:01 pm

Glad I do hope you succeed to save the beans if the frost should come. You have a great attitude Glad, I could all learn from it :smile:

Last edited by Dawn on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 2:41 pm

Thanks Joy and Dawn.

I dug the sweet potatoes today. About a bushel. Not bad considering the small patch.

I cleaned up the area also and other areas too. The okra has stopped producing so it will be next to clean out. Peppers are still hanging on. I froze some over the week end to use for stir fry and spaghetti sauce.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 2:46 pm

You do seem to have had a good harvest from your garden, Glad. Not bad for a new veggie garden. Congratulations are in order. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:38 am

Joy wrote:You do seem to have had a good harvest from your garden, Glad. Not bad for a new veggie garden. Congratulations are in order.

Thank you.

I ate lettuce from the garden on my burger tonight. Boy was it ever good. Fall gardens are nicer for there are less bugs to deal with. They have gone back done into the soil to hibernate for the winter.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:30 am

Did not know that about your bugs, Glad. That would definitely make gardening for you much easier at this time of the year. Ours hang around all year. Makes the birds happy though. :yum:

I'll bet your burger tasted good with fresh lettuce on it. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 12:49 pm

Joy wrote:Did not know that about your bugs, Glad. That would definitely make gardening for you much easier at this time of the year. Ours hang around all year. Makes the birds happy though.

I'll bet your burger tasted good with fresh lettuce on it.

It sure did Joy.

I might have misled you on the bugs. There are still bugs around but seems as though in the fall they are less likely to be on the veggies like in the early summer. They do go into the ground as it gets cold and the colder it gets the deeper they go. Smart little critters.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 8:39 pm

Sure are, Glad. Never thought that you would be totally bug-free as they are tough little critters. It is just that, as we do not have frost or snow, our bugs continue on, throughout winter, the same as they do the rest of the year. So do the birds that chase them, fortunately. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 09 Oct 2011, 1:39 am

I took my son to purchase a new tiller yesterday. He has tilled the part of the garden that has nothing growing. Will try to get a few pictures.

The bean plants are showing signs of little beans coming on. Oh I am getting excited now wondering if I will pick any before frost. No frost predicted at all next week. Wonder if I should water them with miracle grow? Wouldn't hurt.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 09 Oct 2011, 10:01 am

It definitely would not hurt to give the beans some extra nourishment with the Miracle Grow. Might give them a boost & get them ready for eating before the frosts come. It is rather exciting, isn't it, Glad?? :D

That is a good idea to get the empty parts of your garden tilled & ready for winter. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 2:41 pm