OUR IMAGES

Staghorn Ferns

default Staghorn Ferns

Post by Guest on Mon 22 Aug 2011, 3:24 am

I have 3 staghorns but don't know if I should fertilize? Any ideas please. Thanx Lynn
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Staghorn Ferns

Post by Joy on Mon 22 Aug 2011, 9:55 am

First up, a very warm welcome to you, Lynn, from APG. :welcome: :wave2:

Staghorn ferns grow here, where we live, in the wild & it is reasonably common to see them growing in the forks of trees, along their branches or on the trunks. As they are an epiphyte or air plant they do not require soil but will grow in it if they are potted. The usual fertilisers, such as normal liquid, fish liquid or slow release fertiliser, applied as per directions, will work for staghorns. One thing I did remember about them was that they enjoy a feed of banana peel, so I Googled & found info which says to cut banana peels into small pieces, place in the basal area & water to aid decomposition. Apparently, they benefit from a potassium boost.

Do hope all goes well with your staghorn ferns. You seem to have a fondness for them. :D

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 22 Aug 2011, 6:56 pm

I fertilize my stag horns every two to three months , although Joy has already answered your question well. I thought I would just let you know how I fertilize mine! I have found a weak solution of liquid nitrogen fertilizer is a good way to go. I do not fertilize by spraying the leaves I water it into the Stag horn pot as I would water a plant. good luck with your stag horn Lyn they are nice plants to have.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 22 Aug 2011, 8:57 pm

Yes, Lynne, Dawn is the real APG expert on Staghorn ferns as she, successfully, grows them. I'd suggest following her directions for fertilising these great plants as her's do well. :cool3:

Have made your query into a separate topic, Lynne, & moved it here from the Introduction section.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 2:39 am