OUR IMAGES

THE BIG HOUSES

default THE BIG HOUSES

Post by Guest on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 5:14 pm

Two views of the Manor house in our village. The house and the village used to be part of the country estate of Sir James Horlicks and all the cottages were built for the workers and were what we call "TIED " cottages, you could live in them rent free as long as you worked on the estate. My cottage was tied to the farm when we moved here in 1971 but we were able to buy it when the farmer died and the farm was sold

The manor house is now a hotel, and the houses are all privately owned and all enlarged in one way or another as they were originally quite small

Cowley Manor.

As it is now as a hotel

default The other big house, where i still do a bit of gardening

Post by Guest on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 5:23 pm

The house and garden at Woodchester Park House

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: THE BIG HOUSES

Post by Joy on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 5:25 pm

Many thanks for the photos, BigBilly. That is a huge manor house & I can imagine it would be a swish hotel. It looks very elegant. Such a lovely spot it is situated in, too. Is the church still used by villagers or has it been desanctified ??

It was terrific that you were able to buy your tied cottage. That must have been a great relief to you & your wife. The original cottages would have been rather basic, I'd imagine & ripe for extending & some refurbishment. Your's looks wonderful. :cool3:

Woodchester Park House & its gardens are beautiful, too. Is this the garden you sometimes do some work in??? They are wonderful. :smile: Is it still in private hands, as opposed to being a hotel or B & B??

Boy, aren't I nosy??? :rofl:
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 5:41 pm

great pic's Billy and great houses too lol

Post by Guest on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 5:58 pm

You are not nosy Joy, just curious as any normal person is.

To answer your qustions

The church is still the village church, but with small congregations

Yes it was a relief to be able to buy our cottage.

Yes Woodchester is where i still do a few hours work.

The owners have about half of it as far back as the new coservatory and the rest is divided into two really good self catering houses.

Try googleing Woodchester Park House in Gloucestershire. I think a company called Rural Retreats used to do the letting, don't know if they still do.

Cowley Manor

Yes Joy, the cottages were all basic and small especially the rooms , they were after all workers cottages , but the walls are 21 inches thick of cotswold stone. We have an 18 ft by 11ft kitchen on the back of ours, looking out on the flower bed bird feeder area.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:22 pm

21 inch walls!!! That would be great insulation from the winter chill as well as the summer heat, wouldn't it?? They sure knew how to build them back then. All workers' cottages were built small with the bare minimum of comfort, even here. Such tiny cottages, in inner Sydney, are now worth a fortune.

Thanks for the Google suggestion for Woodchester Park House. It was very interesting & the cost of the holiday rentals were quite reasonable. Ideal for OS holidaymakers. The gardens would be lovely to stroll around. They look as though they were made for that purpose. :D

Most of the Google entries were for the unfinished Woodchester Park Mansion. It is a shame that it was never completed.

Post by Guest on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:23 pm

Glad you found the entries for the mansion Joy. .Its at the bottom of the valley just below Woodchester park house. Facinating inside.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 16 Aug 2011, 7:29 am

The articles on the mansion, even the Wiki one, say how poorly situated it is, with little sun & air flow around it. No one seems to know why the original owner chose this particular site & say it should have been placed further up the valley. Oh well, we shall never know the reason. :huh2:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:21 pm

Wow BigBilly. Those thick walls would also be great protection here for tornadoes.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 22 Aug 2011, 6:46 pm

Beautiful and green as ever. It does make me wish for another visit :) thank you for the lovely pics!
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 20 Sep 2011, 2:47 am

BBilly, I am interested in old and beautiful churches. If you see any would you take pictures? Also would like to copy and paste a few of them to place at my own forum if that is ok.

Thanks,
    Glad

PS... this request is for old or unique churches in any area of the world also.

Post by Guest on Wed 21 Sep 2011, 4:56 pm

Afraid i won't be able to help much with the church pics Glad. Tend not to have much interest in them either, but will keep my eyes open when we travel. I take it you mean really old or spectacular ?
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 01 Dec 2011, 3:55 pm

BIGBILLY21 wrote:Afraid i won't be able to help much with the church pics Glad. Tend not to have much interest in them either, but will keep my eyes open when we travel. I take it you mean really old or spectacular ?

Old and/or unusual churches.

Sorry I had forgotten to reply to you BBilly.

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Mar 2012, 5:04 am

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures BigBilly. My whole life, I have been in love with houses like yours and the pictures here of the 'big houses'. Just something about all that stone.

Post by Guest on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:46 pm

Some views on the way too and at Woodchester Park House

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:24 am

What beautiful countryside, BigBilly. It is so uniquely English, although the wooded, hilly areas are similar to parts of our region, here in the Northern Rivers of NSW, in Oz.

Woodchester Park House is also beautiful, as is its wonderful gardens. The kitchen garden looks well used, too. The pond is well stocked with goldfish. Wonder if there are any predators around such as kingfishers?? :lol3: Perhaps they are too big for them. Hawks, maybe.

Many thanks for posting these lovely images, BB, it is much appreciated. :D
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 4:48 pm

Lovely photos BigBilly :good: :photos: thank you for sharing them.

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 2:33 pm