OUR IMAGES

Monstera deliciosa tropical fruit

default Monstera deliciosa tropical fruit

Post by Guest on Sun 07 Aug 2011, 10:18 am

This fruit you will not see for sale in the shops due to the fact that it ripens only a little each day and if you eat any unripe section you will get a mouth full of prickles.
    The fruit is shaped like a long cone with segmened outer coating which falls off a little each day as it ripens .tastes like banana, pineapple .mango and passionfruit hence the common name of fruit salad pl;ant.
    Leaves can grow 6 foot long and 5 foot wide in the tropics.the plant creeps along the ground but can climb if you let it.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Monstera deliciosa tropical fruit

Post by Joy on Sun 07 Aug 2011, 2:26 pm

:wow: Fantastic plant, Pixie. :cool3: It is very impressive & the leaves are so striking. The images of the flowers & the fruit are wonderful, too. It does seem as though the flies are partial to the flowers. :lol: The monstera really does look at home in your gorgeous garden.

The monstera deliciosa can grow quite large in our area, too. Friends of ours had a huge one in their backyard. It was almost a thicket. It makes a wonderful potted plant, too. IF you have plenty of room , that is. :lol2: Seems to have gone out of fashion, lately, which is shame.

My mother had one when she lived at Bronte (just south of Bondi Beach) in Sydney. It was just a small flat but had a good ENE facing lounge area. She grew many plants there but her "baby" was her monstera deliciosa. It grew & grew & nearly took up the whole area along the lounge room windows. It even fruited which was an amazing thing to happen in that climate. While it is warm, it isn't tropical. :lol!: .

Thank you, again, Pixie, for posting more of your fantabulous ( :blush: ) garden. It is so much appreciated. :photos:

Post by Guest on Sun 07 Aug 2011, 3:21 pm

Thank you Joy ,you mentioned the flies liking the plant , they are little flies on the flowers, and what may look like tiny flies on the fruit are the natural colours in the flesh of the fruit. I like to eat them but they are an acquired taste .I am not surprised they grow well in Sydney I know 3 people who grow them in melbourne and have small fruit .Of course they are a very popular indoor plant.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 07 Aug 2011, 3:26 pm

We never found out what the fruit tasted like as Mum kept them for herself. :lol2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:37 pm

That is a lovely specimen of Delicious Monster Pixie, the leaves are nice and shiny, and it is huge it is obviously loving it there. I spied another plant in the back ground of the photo that has the plant that has pink and red leaves just before the photos of the DM fruit it has thick white veins on the leaves. It looks like it could be a type of Alocasia that looks great too what is that called Pixie :thankyou:

Post by Guest on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:11 am

Dawn I think you are refering to Alocasia amazonica common name african mask .Pixie.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 2:46 pm

Thanks Pixie!. I am so enjoying looking at your garden !

Post by Guest on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 4:42 pm

AsI am showing it to you Dawn. :smile:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 6:43 am