OUR IMAGES

Fuchsia Cuttings

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Fuchsia Cuttings

Post by Joy on Mon 12 Dec 2011, 5:32 pm

The buds in the above fuchsia cutting image have opened.

Picasa has released its newest update (3.9) & it has borders plus other effects, seen in Picnik. Yhis will make some things easier to do. One is the borders. I have wanted to put a plain black border around my pics ever since seeing the borders on my pics Windows uses for my screensavers but it was too time consuming to do. Now it will be easy. :D

Here is the new fuchsia pic with a border.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 12 Dec 2011, 8:32 pm

Beautiful Joy! they really like your touch. So pretty I wished I could grow Fuchsias they do not like me at all. Yours are doing exceptionally well. :cool3: :thanks:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 13 Dec 2011, 8:38 am

Thanks, Dawn. :D The parent plant keeps looking as if it is going to die off on me but it keeps on bouncing back. It does struggle with the summer climate but this new fertiliser I am using seems to be doing it some good. The cuttings also appreciate it & the dose of Epsom salts. May give them another dose of them real soon. :whistle:

Haven't, as yet, tried to grow the cuttings as standards, as suggested by BigBilly, but it may be too warm for that now. Will try this in autumn, I think. I tend to keep putting such things off, then there is the problem of no room. :whistle:

Post by Guest on Tue 13 Dec 2011, 5:00 pm

Your cuttings look great Joy, and well on the way to being standard anyway. They certainly like whatever it is that you are feeding them on.

Have moved mine up to the conservatory for the winter now that we are getting some frosts.

Love the Christmas graphics.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 13 Dec 2011, 5:26 pm

Thanks, BigBilly. :D

Strangely, the fuchsia cuttings have not developed a hanging habit like the parent plant. As you said, they are growing like standards. They are shooting for the ceiling, too. The tallest of the cuttings are over 50cms (20ins). Might have to give them a prune but I do not want to cut the flower buds off. :apgn:

Do hope your beautiful fuchsia cuttings & plants stay lovely & warm for the winter, BB.

Post by Guest on Wed 14 Dec 2011, 5:14 pm

Re the upright habit of your cuttings Joy, have you thought of taking out the main stem of one of them to encourage it to grow more low down side shoots which will perhaps develop a hanging habit. In my fiddling with pinching out various bits of a plant you can encourage it to go where you want. But for ease of doing it you may want to have a single cutting in a pot on its own. Don't want to appear as interfering but just a thought.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 14 Dec 2011, 5:34 pm

Many thanks, BigBilly, for that excellent advice &, no, you certainly don't appear to be interfering. :cool3: Where I have the space for these cuttings, it is probably preferable if they are left growing upright. Don't have any further room for plants with a hanging habit, I'm afraid. In fact I really hardly have room for these fuchsia cuttings as they are. :lol3:

This would be a great way to train any fuchsia standards when I get round to doing them. :whistle: Growing standards with a hanging habit does sound rather interesting.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 23 Dec 2011, 5:33 pm

The fuchsia cuttings are really flowering very well. Am so pleased with how they are doing.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:54 am

The fuchsia cuttings just keep on growing & flowering.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 8:09 am

The flowers on the fuchsia cuttings are twice the size of those on the parent plant.

They are just as pretty, though. :D

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Jan 2012, 6:26 am

Joy I have always loved your fuchsias. It dosen't matter if its the parent or the kids..they are all beautiful.

If you remember they are just an annual in my neck of the woods and mostly sold in hanging baskets. I never seem to have any luck growing them.

I love looking at your pictures they are so crisp and clear. :good:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 20 Jan 2012, 8:00 am

Thanks, Justy. :D I am wondering if you could take cuttings, of a fuchsia you particularly like, & grow them, inside, over winter. It does appear to be dead easy to do & would be a great way to keep a lovely fuchsia going.

We would be only to happy to give you some tips on how to do this. :cool3:

Post by Guest on Tue 24 Jan 2012, 8:13 am

Quote:We would be only to happy to give you some tips on how to do thisQuote

I would love to try that and will welcome any suggestions. Last year $$ was tight so we never got any hanging baskets at all. I had high hopes on growing my own hanging baskets only to find out I didn't start them early enough.

I will make a point to get at least one and see if (you, me, we) can get it going inside. :rofl:

Hopefully the cat won't decide they taste as pretty as they look.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 24 Jan 2012, 1:34 pm

Maybe you could start making your own hanging baskets now, Justy, by sprinkling some different seeds directly onto the potting mix in some baskets. Many flower plants do not really like being transplanted, such as my phlox. They, also, do not seem to need as much room, as stated on seed packs or in most planting instructions, especially for baskets which are redone annually.

It may be worth a try. Think the secret to the lush leaf & flower growth of the beautiful hanging baskets being sold, is that they are pushed with heaps of fertiliser & water before sale. Late in the summer, you may be able to take some cuttings & grow them over winter to get them ready for the next year. Maybe. :lol:

Yes, cats will munch on green stuff, which is strange seeing as they are not supposed to eat vegetables. :lol3: My mother actually grew some grass, in a container, for her indoor cat to chomp on. :yum:

Post by Guest on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 2:13 am

My fuchsia cuttings are hanging on in there despite the very cold temps and starting to throw some more buds, which i will take off.
    Have got just enough heat on to keep the frost at bay. Looks like a few aphids on them too, must remember to spray. Potatoes in their chitting trays on the shelf.

Post by Guest on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:29 am

Joy wrote:Maybe you could start making your own hanging baskets now, Justy, by sprinkling some different seeds directly onto the potting mix in some baskets. Many flower plants do not really like being transplanted, such as my phlox. They, also, do not seem to need as much room, as stated on seed packs or in most planting instructions, especially for baskets which are redone annually.

It may be worth a try. Think the secret to the lush leaf & flower growth of the beautiful hanging baskets being sold, is that they are pushed with heaps of fertiliser & water before sale. Late in the summer, you may be able to take some cuttings & grow them over winter to get them ready for the next year. Maybe. :lol:

Yes, cats will munch on green stuff, which is strange seeing as they are not supposed to eat vegetables. :lol3: My mother actually grew some grass, in a container, for her indoor cat to chomp on. :yum:

I grew some of this for my cat also...its just called Cat Grass. I tried to grow it 3 years and last year was the first time it came up.

Post by Guest on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:33 am

BigBilly....Are your potatoes sitting in those containers, waiting for them to sprout??

I really want to grow some potatoes, and I have tried to grow them in a 'bag' and tried to plant them in the ground, but neither had worked well for me.

Post by Guest on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 8:08 am

justme wrote:BigBilly....Are your potatoes sitting in those containers, waiting for them to sprout??

I really want to grow some potatoes, and I have tried to grow them in a 'bag' and tried to plant them in the ground, but neither had worked well for me.

Yes Justme the potatoes are sitting in egg trays to sprout prior to being planted,
    some to go into tubs to try for an early crop, the rest i grow in the garden under
    black weed fabric, no weeding or earthing up cut a cross in the fabric to plant thro, If you grow in tubs or bags, i found adequate water & feed is essential `

Post by Guest on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 8:13 am

Thank you Bigbilly...I will remember that,and maybe I will give it another go this year.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:01 pm

BIGBILLY21 wrote:My fuchsia cuttings are hanging on in there despite the very cold temps and starting to throw some more buds, which i will take off.
    Have got just enough heat on to keep the frost at bay. Looks like a few aphids on them too, must remember to spray. Potatoes in their chitting trays on the shelf.

Your fuchsia cuttings are looking great, BigBilly. They will be so beautiful this coming summer. Mine are starting to look a little bit worn out. May need to repeat the exercise for winter flowers. Will the ones I have tolerate some pruning, BB?? They are looking a bit spindly at the moment. May need some fertilising.

BigBilly is a dab hand at growing veggies, Justy & Glad had a successful veggie garden last summer, too.

Post by Guest on Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:15 am

Don't see any reason why you can't give your plant's a bit of pinching back Joy.
    I have found that they respond very well to being shaped, but certainly a feed would help too.
    Mine aren't growing much at the moment, but it is the middle of winter and there isn't much heat in the conservatory.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:31 am

We have had a few very warm, sunny, humid days, BigBilly, after plenty of slightly cooler, but equally humid, overcast or rainy weather. Think this has made the fuchsias suffer. They do not like the heat & humidity. When I get the energy, later on today, I shall give them a feed. It is really humid right now.

Thanks for the advice, BB. Should give them a pinch while I am at it. :yes:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:53 pm

Have given the fuchsia cuttings a dose of Epsom salts. That may give them a bit of a boost.

Here is an image of a couple of the flowers in the sun this morning.

Post by Guest on Wed 08 Feb 2012, 6:57 pm

They look pretty good to me Joy.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 08 Feb 2012, 8:41 pm

Thanks, BigBilly. :D There are some very good side shoots growing on the cuttings & as they have slowed down with the buds I might take the opportunity to get some more cuttings going. Have some seed trays & seed potting mix. Do you think I could use those to get the cuttings started???

Post by Guest on Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:28 pm

Shouldn't be any problem Joy. I would take them off at the main stem and remove the lower leaves, hope i'm not telling you
    what i expect you already know. Good luck.

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 12:32 pm