OUR IMAGES

Fuchsia Cuttings

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Fuchsia Cuttings

Post by Joy on Fri 26 Aug 2011, 5:09 pm

Cannot believe just how well these fuchsia cuttings are doing. There is healthy new growth on the cuttings with all of them, apart from the tw new ones, having four fully formed new leaves & shoots of more leaves growing from the top. :bravo:
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 2:56 am

Yep they look great :love:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 4:30 pm

How are your fuchsia cuttings going, BigBilly??? Ours are still looking good. I am so pleased as to how well this little experiment has gone. :D

Post by Guest on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 6:20 pm

So far so good Joy , apart from the colour of the leaves. Have given them one watering with the epsom salts

and do think theres an improvement. How many treatments do you give them ??'

Cuttings still producing lots of flowers which i keep taking off and the possible standards are looking ok.

Its starting to get qoite autumnal now so will soon have to start thinking about where i'm going to put them for the winter.

Here's a few pics of the cuttings, and one of the adult plants which look quite good at the moment.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 8:42 pm

The directions, on the packet of the Epsom salts I have, says for severe deficiencies, to apply every 4 weeks until a positive response is evident. Usually, I find one or, occasionally, two applications is enough to correct any deficiencies my plants may have. Then I just continue with my normal liquid fertiliser.

Your fuchsia cuttings are growing well, BigBilly. They are determined to flower, aren't they?? :lol: I like the idea of making them into standards as a fuchsia would look wonderful with its flowering branches arching & cascading down but my fuchsia is a miniature. Its stems are thin & I think it may not be easy to make one of the cuttings into a standard. Could, perhaps, give it a try.

That mature fuchsia is magnificent. I cannot believe just how many flowers it has. It is absolutely gorgeous.
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 5:06 am

WOW they look great BB :yes:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:24 pm

Our fuchsia cuttings continue to flourish. Many of them seem to have doubled in size & the two replacement cuttings are still looking ok, though have not started to grow yet.

Today's images of the two pots.

The larger pot with 11 cuttings.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:25 pm

The smaller pot with 5 fuchsia cuttings.

Post by Guest on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 4:31 pm

Thanks for the info re the epsom salts Joy, your cuttings look great, a much better colour than mine but heres hoping that the salts do the trick.

I can only think that the reason for all flower production on my cuttings is because they were taken from flowering shoots. Anyway time will tell if the experiment is going to work.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 4:43 pm

Thanks BigBilly. Fortunately for me, the parent plant wasn't flowering when I took my cuttings, but it is starting to grow buds now. It will be interesting to see if, & when, these cuttings start flowering. Probably, well into spring when they get a bit of size to them. Well, I hope so. :lol2:

Your cuttings will do great. Especially, with all the good care you give them. Think this is a great experiment. So happy I decided to give it a go. :good:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:56 pm

The fuchsia cuttings continue to grow so well. They even have buds. The parent plant has started to flower also. I am not too concerned about these cuttings starting to grow buds & will leave them as it is spring which is time for them to start. Wonder how big these flowers will be. The flowers on the parent plant are miniatures so maybe these cuttings will have mini miniatures. :lol2:

Today's pics.

Last edited by Joy on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:57 pm

Showing some of their growth spurt. :bravo: Don't think I shall pinch off their tops as they will get bushy anyway. Just want to see what they will do. :whistle:

Post by Guest on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 4:13 pm

Your cuttings certainly are growing well Joy and look a picture of health. I think the colour of mine is improving.

Bit of a calamity this morning, bad wind and rain overnight, so all the adult fuchsias have blown off the shelf onto the top of the daisies. Have nipped out quickly and sorted them out a bit , but will see how things are when it stops raining.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 4:38 pm

Oh dear, BigBilly. Do hope they will all be ok. The fuchsias may get a pruning, poor things, whether they need one or not. Luckily, they are resilient plants, thank goodness. :luck:

So pleased tu hear that the colour of your fuchsia cuttings is starting to improve. Epsom salts are really quite good for restoring the green of foliage. Have had plants recover, very well, from attacks of chloriosis & other yellowing leaf problems, when I have used them.

Am very happy at how my fuchsia cutting experiment has turned out. The parent plant has grown many more healthy looking stems if I want to repeat the exercise. Oh, for more room. :whistle:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:28 am

The fuchsia parent plant has shot out many new stems & is growing so fast at the moment. It is still growing its new, vigorous growth at the ends of the long & spindly branches but the new growth is covering them up nicely so these are not so noticeable. There are flower buds popping up everywhere on it.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 5:30 pm

The fuchsia cuttings continue to flourish & have quite a few buds on them. I am so pleased this little experiment has turned out this way. Shall, definitely, do it again.

The large pot.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 5:31 pm

The smaller pot of fuchsia cuttings. They seem to be really shooting up. :smile:

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:35 pm

Your cuttings are looking great Joy. Standard material. ???

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 8:25 pm

Thanks, BigBilly. :) They are growing well, aren't they?? It would be good if they could be trained into being a standard but, being miniatures, they have such skinny little stems. Maybe I could put some more cuttings into individual pots, with the aim of training them into standards. That is, of course, if I knew how to do that. :lol2:

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 8:47 pm

Have a go with one of most favourable looking ones Joy.

What i do is put them in individual pots, and dont let any leaves or side shoots grow on the main stem up to the main growing point, don't go too near it though,just sort of force it to grow up and take out the side shoots as they grow so all th energy goes to the growing tip. Have never tried it with a miniture but dont see why it shouldnt work, but i don't know how tall you could go. You will need to give it some support till it gets a strong stem. With care i have grown them to 5 foot high .

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 8:59 pm

Here's one of mine Joy. Perhaps explains it better.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 8:59 pm

Five foot high!! That is tall, BigBilly. Our fuchsia also has a trailing habit & its stems aren't much thicker than matchsticks, unfortunately. In fact its old stems, from which the new growth is sprouting, are only as thick as toothpicks. Some are even thinner.

Many thanks for the tips on how to grow standards. It could be interesting to give it a go. The parent plant has plenty of healthy, new growth at the moment, so there is much to choose from.

Yes, that pic does show the how-to very well. Thanks BigBilly.

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 9:06 pm

Mine aren't very thick at the moment as you can see, but you will be surprised how strong they get once they start to grow. I reckon your trailing habit one would look great on a stem and hanging down all round.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 9:12 pm

Yes, BigBilly, it would look very pretty, as it is an attractive plant & its flowers are stunning. It will be very interesting to see what they look like when the cuttings pop their buds. :)

Now, all I need to do is to find some room for a pot for the standard. :think:

Post by Guest on Sun 18 Sep 2011, 5:08 pm

Have just started to clear a place in the poly tunnel for my fuchsia cuttings Joy, the nights are getting chilly now and from past experience i know it doesn't take much frost to knock them over. Will eventually bring them up to the conservatory, which i keep just above freezing for the winter, but at the moment we are still picking tomatoes from there.

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Sun 18 Sep 2011, 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 18 Sep 2011, 5:18 pm

Your fuchsia cuttings will, no doubt, be snug & warm, well warmer than the outside, :lol: during your winter, BigBilly. Guess we are very fortunate to not have to worry about frosts or all the preparations required to see your plants through them.

The flower buds on our cuttings are growing fast but are, at the moment, a lighter shade of pink than the parent fuchsia plant. It is a mass of buds & flowers right now. It looks fantastic. Taking these pieces off it, for the cuttings, seems to have agreed with it. :cool3:

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 2:45 pm