OUR IMAGES

Fuchsia Cuttings

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Fuchsia Cuttings

Post by Joy on Tue 26 Jul 2011, 3:10 pm

This is an experiment to see if growing these small fuchsia cuttings will work. Our fuchsia is a miniature & so its stems are also very slender. It has developed a spindly stem growth habit with long skinny branches with small bunches of healthy looking stems & leaves growing at the ends.

This is how the fuchsia looks after cutting about 16 of its stems off the ends of the branches. Am leaving the shorter leafed stems to grow & if the experiment succeeds, shall do the same with some of these.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Fuchsia Cuttings

Post by Joy on Tue 26 Jul 2011, 3:12 pm

Was, actually, going to see if I could cut the bunches off the spindly branches & plant them, as is, but it was hard to know whether they would send out roots, so I cut individual stems off. Didn't realise they would droop so quickly though.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 26 Jul 2011, 3:21 pm

I stripped the bottom two layers of leaves off. This was also supposed to strip a bit of the outer skin off the stems but most were so soft that this didn't happen. The idea was to disturb some cells so they would readily grow roots, but the slivers of skin only came off with a couple of the more mature stems. Oh well. Used a chopstick to make holes in the potting mix, then dipped each cutting into some rooting hormone powder & popped them into the prepared holes.

This pot has 11 cuttings in it. At this time they were rather droopy but did perk up, more, later that day.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 26 Jul 2011, 3:24 pm

This fuchsia has such a fabulous flower, we want to see if it can be grown from cuttings as the plant was not looking too good & I was thinking about chucking it out. Then all the new growth happened..........

Here is another pot which has 5 fuchsia cuttings.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:05 pm

Four days on & it is so far so good. The fuchsia cuttings still seem to be ok.

The larger pot with 11 cuttings.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:07 pm

The smaller pot with 5 cuttings.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:07 pm

The two pots of fuchsia cuttings.

Bruce

Post by Bruce on Fri 29 Jul 2011, 5:35 pm

They are starting to look good Joy :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 29 Jul 2011, 5:48 pm

:thanks: Bruiser!! Still have my fingers crossed though. :whistle:

Post by Guest on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 1:13 am

They look fine to me Joy. What i do with mine when i do them in pots, is to put a poly bag over them which seems to help.

Good luck.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 8:22 am

Thanks BigBilly. Have used the plastic supermarket bag trick to help germinate seeds more quickly, but these cuttings are used to the temps we are having at the moment, I think. They seem to revel in them at this time of the year & the parent plant does look better. Summer knocks the fuchsia around quite a bit, though.

The only cutting that seems to still be a bit droopy was taller than the others. If it carks it, I'll replace it with a shorter cutting. It is still fingers crossed for it, :luck: :lol:

Post by Guest on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 8:27 pm

Most of the experimental fuschia cuttings seem to have taken Joy, so have potted them on. Keep having to pinch the flowers off, but apart from some looking a bit pale they seem ok. Am wondering if i could grow some as standards . What do you think ??

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 9:07 pm

My word, your fuchsia cuttings are keen to flower, aren't they, BigBilly?? :D Just wondering if they might benefit from a watering with some magnesium sulphate (Epsom Salts)?? The dosage I use is 10ml of mag sulph per litre of water. It has worked well for some of my potted plants & may be effective in helping with the pale leaves of your cuttings.

Must say, though, despite the pale leaves some of the cuttings have, they do look very good. Do think they would look great grown as standards so it might be worth a try. They would look so pretty with the flowers hanging down, all around them.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 07 Aug 2011, 10:47 am

The fuchsia cuttings are still looking good after 11 days. No signs of withering or collapse, as yet. My fingers are still crossed, though. :luck: :whistle:

Post by Guest on Sun 07 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

They still look good to me Joy, good luck with them.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 07 Aug 2011, 4:31 pm

Thanks, BigBilly. Was very nervous about doing this but, so far, so good. The parent plant is still growing more of them so I can replace any that cark it. :lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 17 Aug 2011, 3:27 pm

All, except one fuchsia cutting, seem to have taken. Replaced the one in the middle of the large container with a new cutting. It is smaller than the others. The removed cutting still had the rooting hormone powder, coating its stem, when I pulled it out.

This is so exciting!! :cool:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 17 Aug 2011, 3:29 pm

The larger pot with 11 fuchsia cuttings, including the replacement cutting. Hope it does well, also.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 17 Aug 2011, 3:30 pm

The smaller pot has 5 fuchsia cuttings. One of them seems to have grown roots but is not looking too good. Have cut the top piece off it but it may, eventually, need to be replaced.

Bruce

Post by Bruce on Wed 17 Aug 2011, 5:45 pm

Watcha gunna do with em all Joy :whistle:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 17 Aug 2011, 5:51 pm

They are already in the pots they shall live in, Bruiser, so I don't think they will take up too much more room. :whistle: Just hope they will grow & produce some of those beautiful flower. :luck: :cool4:
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Wed 17 Aug 2011, 8:50 pm

But but were are you gunna put EM!!!!!!!!!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 17 Aug 2011, 8:54 pm

Where they's already is, Bruiser. :whistle: :kiss:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 21 Aug 2011, 3:34 pm

Have replaced another of the fuchsia cuttings, which failed to grow roots. It also had the rooting hormone powder still stuck to its stem. Just selected another suitable cutting from the parent plant. Scraped some of the tender skin from the stem to provide more area for roots to sprout, dipped it into rooting hormone powder, used a chopstick to make a hole, popped in the cutting & watered it in. Simple. Hope it will thrive. :cheers:

The parent plant is still growing plenty of healthy new stems.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 26 Aug 2011, 5:09 pm

Cannot believe just how well these fuchsia cuttings are doing. There is healthy new growth on the cuttings with all of them, apart from the tw new ones, having four fully formed new leaves & shoots of more leaves growing from the top. :bravo:

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:48 pm