default Re: Our Cymbidium Orchids

Post by Dawn on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 10:23 pm

absolutely gorgeous colour Joy very delicate. I love them both
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 02 Aug 2011, 2:42 pm

Thanks, Dawn. Do hope these flowers last as long as "they" say they do. :cool4:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:12 am

The Valley Olympic "Prolific" cymbidium orchid seems to be a bit pinker than before. It seems to be more of a soft mauve now.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:15 am

Kakadu Crystal & Valley Olympic "Prolific" cymbidium orchids.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 16 Aug 2011, 2:46 pm

Have established a routine for these beautiful cymbidium orchids. Even though it is still winter. As they are water-hungry, I am now watering them every four days, even though it is still winter. With the second of these waterings, (ie every eight days) I am feeding them with the all-year-round orchid food.

When the flowers have finished & they go outdoors into a sunny spot for the summer, they will need watering daily or every second day. As they will be with other plants which, will also, need frequent watering, it will be much easier to remember to do this. To keep up with their current watering regime I have the schedule written down. :lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 23 Aug 2011, 12:03 pm

The flowers on the first cymbidium orchid, the Valley Olympic "Prolific" are starting to droop!!! :O We have only had it for a month, but we do not know how long the first lot of flowers on its spike were open. They are the ones that have drooped. There are only three of the flowers that look ok. We do not even have any heating so heating isn't a cause of these flowers not lasting long.

The Kakadu Crystal cymbidium orchid flowers are still looking beautiful. :love:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:13 am

The Valley Olympic "Prolific" cymbidium orchid has well & truly finished flowering so I have placed it outside where it can get some sun. It does not have many leaves at the moment as most of them have broken off. They snap off a few cms above the bulb as if they are sacrificial. Hope it will grow more leaves.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 24 Sep 2011, 8:06 am

Both cymbidium orchids are outside now. Their flowers did not last for as long as I had hoped. The Valley Olympic "Prolific" has lost all of its leaves now. Do hope it will live up to its name. :apgn:

The "Kakadu Crystal" cymbidium still has plenty of leaves, though. Wonder what the difference is between the two of them. :huh2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:28 am

We think that both cymbidium orchids may be growing new bulbs. Have been feeding them frequently, as per instructions from the grower of these orchids, with Aquasol fertiliser, which I, fortuitously, had recently bought to fertilise my other plants. :whistle: So this may be doing the trick. One of them, the Valley Olympic "Prolific" has lost all of its leaves & its other bulbs seem to have reverted to being food storage bulbs. The sign of a new bulb, (maybe) growing is heartening. My fingers are definitely crossed for that one. The Kakadu Crystal has a very obvious new bulb, so our hopes are high for it doing well. :cool:

Pics to come when the rain stops. :lol2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:06 pm

That's good news Joy! I look forward to the photos :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:09 pm

Thanks Dawn. :smile: Working on them right now. :cool3:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:31 pm

Here are the Valley Olympic "Prolific" cymbidium orchid's two green bulbs, which, I hope, will be viable. The others will become food bulbs I think, but I hope these two will not become the same.

Interestingly, the growers of these orchids say that there is no need to replace the bark potting mix, when repotting, as it does not degrade. Just add to it if necessary. :D

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:35 pm

There is a new bulb shooting up in the "Kakadu Crystal" cymbidium orchid. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: This does look very promising. This plant hasn't lost any of its leaves yet, not like the Valley Olympic "Prolific" cymbidium which has lost all of them. :O

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:46 pm

Yes looking very promising Joy ! that is good to know about the mixture when repotting hey! :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 4:06 pm

It certainly is good to know, Dawn, as it will save some money won't it??

Here is a link to the website for the growers of these cymbidiums. There is some very good & practical information about growing these beautiful orchids.

Valley Orchids
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 21 Oct 2011, 9:18 am

The Valley Olympic "Prolific" cymbidium orchid isn't as dead as it looks, thank goodness. There are two or three of these lovely green roots seen on the left & there is a shoot growing in the middle. The other two bulbs still look nice & green.

Have been fertilising both cymbidium orchids frequently & have placed them where they can receive as much sun as we can get. With the way our unit is positioned there is no way I can let them get maximum sun exposure unless I place them away from our back patio, out of my sight. Don't want that when there are others sharing our yard. :apgn:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 21 Oct 2011, 9:19 am

The shoot on the Kakadu Crystal cymbidium orchid is growing quite quickly. :clap:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 25 Oct 2011, 5:29 pm

The new shoot on the "Kakadu Crystal" cymbidium orchid is now about 15cm (6ins), or maybe a little less,tall & I have just noticed another shoot poking through the bark potting mix. This is fantastic!! :good: :excited:

The small shoot on the Valley Olympic "Prolific" has grown. One of its older bulbs has been completely re-absorbed & is now just an empty husk. It is very interesting to see this happening. :smile:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 26 Oct 2011, 1:49 am

:sun: that is great to hear Joy! that shoot is really robust isn't it!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 26 Oct 2011, 7:55 am

It certainly is, Dawn. :smile: I was thrilled when I saw the second shoot in the Kakadu Crystal, yesterday evening. Haven't been able to get a pic of it yet. Hope it doesn't disappear in the meantime. :rofl:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 17 Aug 2017, 7:31 pm