OUR IMAGES

Caladiums in my Tropical Garden .

default Caladiums in my Tropical Garden .

Post by Guest on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 1:26 pm

Most of the Caladiums you will see have no reliable offical name so I will post without data ,the ones I have known names for I will leave to post at the end .

Caladium species........

Caladium praetermissum "hilo beauty" this had been classed Alocasia and was re classified to Genus Caladium some time ago. its a huge leaf in rthe garden situation.

This is a cv.Caladium carolyn wharton . from the USA. a real beauty . I have not planted it in the garden as yet .

A Caladium cv. named "windows" a pretty semi transparent leaf.....

Thats the end of my Caladiums Ihope you have enjoyed watching ......
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Caladiums in my Tropical Garden .

Post by Joy on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 2:04 pm

What a stunning foliage plant the caladium is, Pixie. You certainly have a wonderful collection of them, too. Can easily see how someone could develop a real fondness for them. Must say that, for whatever reason, I have never seen these beautiful plants before but could see some specimens growing, quite happily, in the large container of our kentia palm. They look to be a terrific rainforest plant.

Mmmmmmm, that does give me an idea, though, I'd imagine, there won't be any on sale at the moment due to it being winter/dry season. Shall definitely look for it this coming summer. I do seem to have a certain liking for South American plants. :D

Thank you for posting all these magnificent images of your gorgeous caladium plants.

Post by Guest on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 8:07 pm

I am pleased you enjoyed the Caladiums with all the doubling up and errors.Your idea to plant in the palm container is a good one.There would not be much available on ebay at present, check around september /october. Some sellers ask a big price for 1 bulb plus postage while others have the whole pot full of stems [many bulbs] for the same price .some pots have more than one colour Caladium in the one pot.... Its the named cv that are very costly.so if you don't worry about named varieties a good selection can be got on ebay........
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 8:57 pm

Thanks for that tip about eBay, Pixie. Had forgotten about being able to buy such plants that way. We purchased our billbergia nutans "Queen's Tears", from a seller on the Sunshine Coast, through eBay. This is the only time we have bought plants this way & they have done very well. It does seem as this could be a good method to get the more unusual types of plants which aren't, normally, stocked by the usual plant retailers.

PS Don't worry about double pics, etc, as I can fix these very easily. I do love seeing all your fantastic plants & your images of them are very much valued.

Post by Guest on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:35 pm

When you do get some Caladiums they take the usual watering but when they go dormant I find it a good practice to give a little water once a month just to keep the bulbs healthy..If they get planted with your palm that watering system should suit the palm also.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:27 pm

Such beauty!

You have a green thumb for plants Pixie.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 7:49 am

Pixie76 wrote:When you do get some Caladiums they take the usual watering but when they go dormant I find it a good practice to give a little water once a month just to keep the bulbs healthy..If they get planted with your palm that watering system should suit the palm also.

That is the same regime my curcuma & ginger plants receive, Pixie. The kentia palm needs water all year round so if I get some caladiums I may have to find somewhere else for them. We will work something out. :lol2:

Post by Guest on Sat 23 Jul 2011, 4:48 pm

Dont know anything at all about these plants Pixie, but love the shapes, colours and patterns of the leaves. Great collection of them you have. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Great site Joy, learn something new every time i come to it.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 23 Jul 2011, 5:22 pm

Thank you very much, BigBilly. :D Pixie does have so many wonderful plants, doesn't she?? :good:

Post by Guest on Sat 23 Jul 2011, 7:55 pm

Thank you Big Billy and Joy for nice comments.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 17 Aug 2017, 7:44 pm