OUR IMAGES

Tropical Hibiscus in my garden, a mixed lot

default Tropical Hibiscus in my garden, a mixed lot

Post by Guest on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 7:40 pm

This is a Hibiscus sp name unknown .I was given it by a friend who visited and brought the flower and a cutting for me to strike .The cutting grew well and was planted out in the garden only today. Now all I have to do is be patient until it flowers.

Hibiscus schizopelatus ..called the Coral Hibiscus it grows tall and becomes pendulous , the flowers look at their best hanging down.

Hibiscus kalakaua a semi double . cream in colour with a pink hue .

This is another one I grew from cutting , the flower is ordinary but it has lovely variegated foliage

Hibiscus cv. Mary jay. this is my newest Hibiscus bought by my daughter and carer ,she arrived home with it and said she could'nt resist the flower. It was very pot bound, was infested with aphids and had yellowing leaves, you can see my daughter is not a gardener but loves flowers .After treatment it was planted out an now looks healthy and has flowered.

That is the last of the Hibiscus in my Tropical garden ,of course if there are any new ones arriving I will add them here Thanks for watching ...
    Glad E Olah

default Re: Tropical Hibiscus in my garden, a mixed lot

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:10 pm

This one intrigues me:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:14 pm

Thank you for posting these wonderful images of your huge array of hibiscus plants, Pixie. They are all fantastic but I do have a soft spot for the h. schizopetalus as I have three of them in pots which I grew from 10cm cuttings. Cut them from a large tree/bush which grows in the complex's so-called garden. Trouble is, the lawn contractor keeps on savagely pruning it so it no longer grows the long arching branches it did previously. Hardly even gets a chance to flower before he "prunes" it again. :mad2:

Love the variegated leaves on the unnamed hibiscus. Actually, its flower does stand out against its lovely foliage.

Is that your Jack Russell in the last pic???

Post by Guest on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 6:10 pm

Joy on looking back on the Hibiscus post I did not put a name on the variegated Hibiscus that you liked ,its called Snow Queen .That man who does the pruning is not a gardener obviously. .
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:45 pm

?Snow Queen" is an appropriate name for the variegated hibiscus.

The lawn contractor is definitely not a gardener, Pixie. He uses a powersaw type of clippers on a long pole to hack at stuff. Even cuts off the cocos palm flowers which are so beloved by bees & the rainbow lorikeets. The hibiscus schizopetalus, in the yard, is now a very trimmed shadow of its former self.

Post by Guest on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:28 am

Its sad I feel sorry that he cannot see the beauty in the cocos flowers and realise that insects need food also
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 10:12 am

So very true, Pixie. We get a great deal of pleasure seeing the squabbling rainbow lorikeets dining on these flowers along with the bees. They seem impervious to any bee stings. I have taken quite a few still images of them on the cocos palm flowers with the bees as well making videos of this.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:52 pm

You have a lovely assortment of Hibiscus Pixie. I have the pink one called the Mary Jay, this flower is identical to mine in colour and shape. The red one at the beginning is gorgeous too. I love them all. They are great shrubs as they have very little leaf fall, :) less work. Thanks for the great photos Pixie

Post by Guest on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:07 am

Dawn thank you for your comments .The Hibiscus flower is so cheerful.Pixie.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 24 Aug 2017, 4:45 pm