OUR IMAGES

Floral Bushes

Glad E Olah

default Floral Bushes

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 7:44 am

Sunflowers that came up from the seed the birds wasted.
    Bruce

default Re: Floral Bushes

Post by Bruce on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 8:24 am

You need some Cockies there Glad I can Guarantee the seeds would not be wasted :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 9:31 am

I caught a squirrel climbing one of the stalks the other day. When the seeds are ready they will devour them.

Both of those pictures are the same. I am puzzled as to why I can't send other pictures. I am using the forum picture thing. Will try to figure it out after supper.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 10:54 am

Great sunny display of sunflowers, Glad. They always look so cheerful don't they?? The squirrel was already checking to see if the seeds were ready, eh?? :lol:

Hmmmmm, wonder what is wrong with the picture host. Hope you do figure this out, Glad.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:52 pm

Good the sunflowers are here. Going to try to post more from the pictures I took yesterday.

First bloom from the hibiscus. More are opening and will try to take another picture tomorrow.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:55 pm

White Rose of Sharon
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:59 pm

Pink Rose of Sharon
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:51 pm

Thanks for persisting with the image host, Glad & posting these pics. They are really lovely & I do love all three shades, too. More wonderful bursts of colour for your garden. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 6:12 am

You are welcome.

Post by Guest on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:23 pm

Lovely display of self sown sunflowers Glad. Thanks for sharing.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:56 pm

You are welcome Billy.

The sunflowers are going to seed now and will make the birds happy.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 8:14 am

Is it possible to cut the sunflowers, that have seeded, & dry them to beat the foraging birds, Glad??? That is, if you want to get the seeds for your own use.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 1:37 pm

I may do that next year if I plant my own. Since these were volunteer from seeds that were dropped from the birds I am enjoying watching the birds eat them. The little yellow finch love to eat part of the yellow pedals.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 4:22 pm

That is a great idea, Glad, for the birds to benefit from their "messiness". :lol: It is wonderful to watch the birds in our yards, isn't it?? I know we get much pleasure from seeing our lot.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 5:27 pm

Lovely flowers Glad, and thanks for posting the photos. I especially enjoyed the sunflowers!

Once 'ripe' and ready the sunflower seeds when out of the shell are lovely roasted with a little soy sauce sprinkled over them in the oven on a low temp until just done. They make a lovely healthy topping over a green garden salad, or any other salad for that matter. Seeing your sunflowers has reminded me to do this again, I have used pumpkin seeds in this way too they are yummy.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 5:26 am

Surprise lilly.

A tad bit later this year but doing exceptionally well.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 5:28 am

Rose of Sharon in its prime.

Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 5:30 am

The above picture of the Rose of Sharon bushes you can see the stress from the heat. Grass is no longer green and the geraniums are showing signs of heat stress also. I almost cropped the ugly out but it is the way it is in my area now.

Also the bushes have been trimmed back to keep from being so tall. Those that are beside the dog kennel are above the roof for shade.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:37 am

Those lilies are amazing, Glad. They are lovely colour too, & so pretty. Is that the way they grow?? Just straight up out of the ground, without leaves?? They make a really attractive sight in the garden.

The Rose of Sharon bushes are also very pretty with their lovely colourful flowers. They make a great screening plant. Yes, I can see that the geraniums would suffer from heat stress but they are hardy plants & will bounce back, as will the grass.

Thank you for showing us some of your front garden. :smile:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:49 am

The geraniums got a good drink this afternoon.

The surprise lillies have a reason for being called surprise. In the spring they sprout up greenery and do not produce flowers. The green dies back and several months later (usually the end of July and to the middle of August) they will bring forth their flower. You can see the buds in one of the pictures. I should have gotten a picture of just the buds but did not think of it in time. They are in their prime and wanted to get a nice full picture.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:57 am

No wonder they are called surprise lilies, Glad. :lol!: They really do make an attractive display when they flower. Thanks for these pics of them, especially as I have never heard of them before. Not a surprise really as I have never grown lilies. :lol:

Geraniums are such a hardy plant & have seen them flourishing in neglected gardens, with no attention at all, though they will thank you for the watering. :good:

Post by Guest on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 5:13 pm

What amazing pics of the lilies Glad, never heard of them but lovely flowers.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 11:41 pm

Sure wish I could send bulbs to you folk in Australia and UK.

They are really easy to grow and like most bulbs will multiply under ground.

I will try and find the real name and it might be they are in lawn and garden shops in your area for purchase.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 02 Jun 2012, 8:10 am

2012 for the white Rose of Sharon:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 02 Jun 2012, 9:43 am

That is a very attractive flowering shrub, Glad & it looks great with your gazebo. They appear very healthy, too. I am not very familiar with this plant but have read it is a deciduous hibiscus?? Are your plants of this type??

Thanks for posting these lovely pics. :D

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 4:23 am