OUR IMAGES

I cannot throw cuttings away

default I cannot throw cuttings away

Post by Guest on Sat 16 Jul 2011, 9:08 pm

As you will see I cannot throw good cuttings away I pot them and they get new homes , seeds I grow also and more than 1/2 are given away . as I am disabled and have no use of my right side ,arm or leg i had my garden helper who I pay to come 3 hours once a week to do heavy work set up a potting table etc that was needed at a height to match the height od my scooter and my visiting son made me low plant stands for the pots,,enough of that here re some photo's of my pot city.......

So now you can see what an addict I am ,but this activity keeps me getting some exercise and sharing plants is good for the soul .Tell me if I am posting too many photo's...
    Glad E Olah

default Re: I cannot throw cuttings away

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 11:12 pm

I enjoy the photos Pixie.

You sure have a green thumb!

I also like how you made a shelf for your cuttings right under the shade!

Post by Guest on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 10:16 am

Thank you its the best place for them ,only one drawback the falling twigs and branches but I like working in the shade listening to the birds as I work.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:22 am

:photos: My word, Pixie, you do have a vast selection of fantastic potted plants. I am totally envious. :smile: Your shaded areas would be so desirable, & necessary, in the tropics. Can see how all those plants would keep you happy & busy. Do, especially, love your alocasia amazonica "African Mask". We did have one, indoors, but it died off. Have just found out they do not like tap water. Grrrrr.

I'll bet your neighbours & friends enjoy your plant gifts, too. As for me. well, I cannot bear to give mine away as I think of them as my "babies", not that I have anywhere near as many as you have, of course. No room, I'm afraid. :(

You may post as many of your wonderful pics as you wish, Pixie. There is no limit here & we enjoy seeing them. A good idea could be to break them up into smaller numbers, in each post, as that would increase your post count. :bravo: I tend to do a new post for each pic. :cool4:

Post by Guest on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:44 pm

Thank you for tips .The amazonica I have in the garden end up over a meter high and seeds drop into the mulch so new plants keep popping up and you know what happens to them .yes they get potted to give away .I think a post on Alocasia is not far off .I am happy I can post a lot of photo's I am not that interested in post count . And you mentioned Alocasia don.t like tap water . never heard that before. don't tell my Alocasia that as thats all they get .out of the tap or out of the sky.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:56 pm

Looking forward to seeing more pics & topics, Pixie. :cool3: Would love to see a topic about your alocasia amazonica, too. When we buy potted plants, you do not know just how the plants were treated before we get them, do we?? Had only just read about the possible water issue with the alocasia, this morning. Maybe mine might have done better had it been out on the patio. Ah well, still have plenty of plants that have flourished. Your alocasias would do so well in your garden as they are a tropical rainforest plant, aren't they??

Some of my plants, such as most of the dracaenas & our carnivores, need rainwater which we get from Bruiser's brother who has a sugar cane farm. At the moment our tap water is only chlorinated. When it is fluoridated there will be a few more which will require rainwater.

Post by Guest on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:09 pm

Nth NSW you should be able to grow Alocasias on your patio I would have thought as that area was once rainforest country and yes Alocasia's are rainforest plants.Maybe your water has too many chemicals added that would not be good for plants ,maybe you need a rain water tank .
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:30 pm

We are lucky in that we live in the coastal subtropical Northern Rivers region of NSW, Pixie, which has a great climate for growing many plants. Fortunately, our tap water is really good for drinking. It is sourced from a rainforest catchment area & is the Rocky Creek dam. Tastes good but it is chlorinated. We use the rainwater from Bruiser's brother's tank at his home on his sugar cane farm. We can't have a tank, unfortunately, because we rent & live in a downstair's unit in a small complex. I just think I am lucky to have these two small patios, both of which are crowded with plants with just a small path through the plants, so we can get in or out of our home. :lol2:

Post by Guest on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:39 pm

.VERY WELL DONE WITH YOUR SET UP Pixie, shows what can be done with a bit of thought and ingenuity to make it easier for you and your scooter to work on the plants and in the garden. Like you i enjoy very much growing things, from seed and cuttings and get a sense of satisfaction when it comes off.

Have visited your area a couple of times, Cairns, Port Douglas and a place called Lotus Bird Lodge right out in the wilds, fantastic wildlife.

Great job you are doing with your garden, keep those pics coming.

Post by Guest on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 7:49 pm

Joy our water is pure clear spring water but is also chlorinated for health reasons .does not affect my plants .

BIGBILLY Thank you for your comment . We have the same satisfaction is seed growing ,I was out early today ,first thing to check on was my 7 colours of Adenium[desert rose] seeds I planted 9 days ago . 4 of the colours seeds are breaking the succulent mix that they are planted in .so maybe tomorrow the rest will appear......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 6:05 am