OUR IMAGES

Our Indoor Plants

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Our Indoor Plants

Post by Joy on Tue 13 Oct 2009, 9:14 pm

While our indoor plants aren't, strictly speaking, patio plants, they still should be mentioned with them. Often an indoor plant will end up on one of the patios, where they always seem to do better. This is despite the indoor area, available for plants, is light & airy with no strong, harsh direct sun. Guess some just like to rough it outdoors. :lol: Most of our succulents started off indoors & seemed quite happy there but after being outside for a while they have grown & grown & grown................................

The plants that do seem to be quite happy inside are a dracaena fragrans massangeana ~ Happy Plant, a few dracaena sanderiana ~ Lucky Bamboo, spathiphyllum ~ Madonna or Peace lily, maidenhair fern on a rock, yucca elephantipes, a small sanseviera stuckyi, zamioculcas zamiifolia ~ Zanzibar Gem or ZZ Plant, two phalaenopsis orchids & two cymbidium orchids.

An interior shot of our loungeroom area taken over three years ago. Things aren't quite the same now with some different plants & the ones still there being much bigger. Dracaena sanderiana ~ Lucky Bamboo. ~~ Dracaena fragrans massangeana ~ Happy Plant & yucca elephantipes.

Last edited by Joy on Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:42 pm; edited 5 times in total
    Dawn

default Re: Our Indoor Plants

Post by Dawn on Mon 30 Nov 2009, 1:13 am

They are really beautiful and healthy with lovely shiny leaves. Your Dracaena Frangrans Massangeana is really looking good! Mine has not liked being out on the patio, I think this winter was unkind to it? I am going to have to move it back in I think. It was planned to be moved back this weekend but we got unexpected guests so it hasn't happened yet.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 30 Nov 2009, 9:14 am

My dracaena fragrans massangeana, or Happy Plant, was only outside for a wash when there was some good rain. It does get dust on its leaves & there are too many to wash by hand. It did need a couple of outings in the rain to get clean, though. Despite care not to let it stay outdoors when the sun came out, it still got some leaf damage from the sun. Think the sun heated the raindrops on a few leaves & "cooked" them, leaving some spots & marks.

Yours is much bigger than mine, Dawn, if I remember correctly. Hope it recovers inside as they are such lovely plants.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 11 Dec 2009, 9:38 pm

Recent pics taken of our spathiphyllum, both taken early November. I must get some more recent ones as it now has eight flowers & buds. This is the most it has ever had.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Dec 2009, 3:46 am

They look absolutely gorgeous Joy . What a beautiful green colour those leaves are especially in contrast with the white flower.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 14 Dec 2009, 8:52 am

Oh, it is a great plant & there is an added bonus to having one, as they are, also, an air-cleaning plant!! :cheers:

Here is a pic I took a couple of days ago. It just seems to be popping out more & more flowers.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 15 Oct 2010, 1:41 pm

The spathiphyllum has started its spring flowering. There is a second flower starting to appear. It hidden in the foliage. :smile:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 15 Oct 2010, 2:01 pm

Some close ups of the little friend which provides much humidity for the spathiphyllum. It was the bird's nest fern on a rock but the fern eventually died a few months ago. I decided to keep the rock wet as it had some moss growing & see what happened. Lo & behold, a maidenhair fern started growing. Wonderful. :apgw: :dance010:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 15 Oct 2010, 2:02 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 15 Oct 2010, 4:40 pm

That is going to be a spectacular feature plant . It is so unusual to see it growing on that rock. I had no idea that maidenhair ferns can grow as a epiphyte. I wonder if it could be replicated or if this is just an amazing occurence.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 15 Oct 2010, 5:10 pm

Have seen pics of maidenhair ferns growing in the wild in & on rocks, by waterfalls, Dawn. It is self-sown & is a good companion for the spathipyllum which has started to flower. :bravo:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 15 Oct 2010, 5:42 pm

I see now what great blooms the Spath has, the photos took so long earlier to appear by the time they had I only concentrated on the fern The way things are going here with my PC I was wondering if they would disappear any minute . very frustrating. I throw up my hands and stay away when it starts to happen heehee!

This is the problem when you look after plants properly they tend to out grow their spot. Have you thought of splitting it at all? to keep it down so it can stay in the same spot. I am not sure if I am suggesting a form of horror
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 15 Oct 2010, 9:02 pm

You should have seen the poor spathiphyllum when we moved here, more than three & half years ago. It was a tiny pathetic little thing & was getting smaller & smaller. We repotted it, fed & watered it & it thrived. It was a thrill to see it grow so well & start to flower again after 11 years without flowering. Doesn't seem to mind being potbound & is a very hardy plant. Don't think I would be game to break it up. It would be a bit like tearing it limb from limb. :o

We have had it for 22 years & it is like a family member. :smile: There are five of our plants which we have had 20, or more, years. They all have thrived since we have been in our present abode. :excited: :dance:

That is a shame the images take so long to appear for you, Dawn. I get a little :mad2: if I have wait a few seconds for them to appear. :lol!:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Jan 2011, 9:16 pm

The previous seven spathiphyllum flowers are now finished, or rather when they had turned green it was time to cut them off. There were three new flowers appearing, too. This is the first time this plant has had two lots of flowers.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Jan 2011, 9:22 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Jan 2011, 9:24 pm

This one is facing down. It was difficult to get it to face the camera. :whistle:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 16 Mar 2011, 1:54 pm

Our maidenhair fern on a rock has grown quite considerably since the last pics were taken. It definitely seems at home on the rock. I just have to remember to keep watering the rock. :whistle:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 16 May 2011, 3:42 pm

An image, taken today, of our wonderful old spathiphyllum, which desperately needs repotting. I am not game to do this as there is so much of it. :O With it is the maidenhair fern on a rock &, hiding beside it, is the small dracaena sanderiana "Lucky Bamboo" which has grown quite a bit since we were given it.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 3:47 pm

The maidenhair fern on a rock is really flourishing. It has even had its own spore fronds so there may even be more maidenhair ferns popping up somewhere is the loungeroom.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 3:48 pm

The dracaena sanderiana "Lucky Bamboo" cuttings are still looking good.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 3:49 pm

The spathiphyllum is looking so good. Am too scared to repot it though, even if it must need it desperately.

Post by Guest on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:46 pm

Your Spathiphyllum are wonderfully healthy ,well done ,the maiden hair fern does not surprise me it grows well as an epiphyte ,it grows on rocks in Cape York.all you indoor plants are very happy you can tell by the growth .
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 8:04 am

Thanks Pixie. Our spathiphyllum is quite an old plant & it survived 11 years of almost total neglect. It did get watered & fed (occasionally) but where we were living, at the time, was not a great place for plants. It never flowered the whole time we were there. Once we moved here it was a different story & this beautiful plant has gone from strength to strength. It would be more than 25 years old.

The maidenhair fern on the rock is self-sown. Originally, there was a birds nest fern growing on this rock & it died off a while ago. I decided to keep the rock watered as there was some interesting moss growing on it, & placed it near our front entrance. We were very pleasantly surprised to see maidenhair fronds starting to grow on the rock fairly soon after. Have seen these ferns growing on rocks beside waterfalls.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 24 Jul 2011, 8:52 pm

Repotted the indoor yucca elephantipes today. It was growing too tall for its previous pot, even though it still had plenty of room for its roots in the old pot. Poor thing has quite a curve in its stem as it reaches for the light.

Not all sure it is an elephantipes as it does look more like a yucca recurvata.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:09 pm

The spathiphyllum seems to have benefitted from having a few of its more battered leaves cut off. May have to cut some more off.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 17 Aug 2017, 7:38 pm