OUR IMAGES

Early Blooming Wattle

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Early Blooming Wattle

Post by Joy on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:37 pm

Wattle, which is the National flower emblem of Australia & also represents the Australian national colours of green & gold, usually flowers in late August. National Wattle Day is held on the 1st September, with many celebrations & festivals being held on that day. Unfortunately, no one has told the wattles this, because this year they have decided to flower very early.

These images were taken as we were travelling along the Pacific Highway, to Brisbane, Qld, today, 28th of JUNE!!! Saw some in Queensland which had finished flowering!!! This is very odd indeed. The wattle trees are the ones with the golden flowers.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Early Blooming Wattle

Post by Joy on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:37 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:38 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 5:05 pm

Do you think perhaps the abundant rain you have had lately is why this may have happened ?
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 5:13 pm

Could be, Dawn. No one seems to have commented on this phenomenon but they may wonder why these wattles don't flower in August. :lol2: That is unless they rebloom in August or September. :D Other strange flowerings I noticed, were roadside buttercup bushes that were flowering again, after having flowered, as usual, in March. At the hospital in Brisbane, there were, what looked to be NZ pohutukawa bushes, which were also in flower. They don't usually flower until summer. :O
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 22 Feb 2012, 4:49 pm

Re: The NZ Pohutukawa tree's , just googled them we have them here! They are beautiful trees they are called NZ Christmas trees here :) They are so pretty when in flower. There are some streets and /or avenues lined with them. They are glorious to look at when they all come into flower at once :love: :) They are very hardy and so wind resistant too!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 22 Feb 2012, 5:20 pm

They are tough trees, Dawn. In NZ they grow right on the edges of cliff tops above beaches & the sea & look to be growing in a very precarious spot with exposed roots dangling. Despite their strange growing positions, hanging down the cliffsides, they become large trees, much larger than they grow here.

The buttercup bushes which brighten our roadsides, usually during March, were imported from SA, I believe. They have naturalised but have not become a pest like lantana, morning glory & camphor laurels.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:10 pm

Re: "growing on cliff egdes above beaches", they obviously like lots of drainage, (I am guessing). That is probably why they grow so well here too, we have too much drainage in the soil( I mean sand) :) They are very slow growing too if I am remembering correctly, I had a few in my garden back in 1980 and they took ages to grow. But we all loved them because the splash of colour they gave. Buttercup bushes ?? I googled them and there are so many on the internet, I could not find one that came from SA, do you perhaps know its Bot name? Interesting as I have never heard of any bush here called a Buttercup bush, it is a lovely name, we probably just don't call it by that name? :) The ones I did see come from the Andes, pretty flowers. :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 7:53 am

It was just that I remember seeing pohutukawa trees growing in Auckland, hanging from cliffs around the harbour. In some instances, Dawn, this was because to cliffs had eroded from beneath them. :lol3: There are some growing in our town & while the growing conditions should be ideal, they haven't grown very big at all. Some specimens, such as the ones I saw at PA Hospital, are only tiny little shrubs.

Here is a link to the Pohutukawas in NZ. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As for what we call Buttercup Bush, I have not been able to find an exact match for it on the web. Its leaves tend to close up at night, if I remember correctly. Of course, I am probably incorrect when I said it was from SA but that seemed to be lodged in my brain from when I previously tracked it down on the web. :lol2: Trouble is we are usually travelling at 100+kph when I see specimens of this shrub. They are only really noticable, too, when they are in flower. Very attractive plant. It may be a native of a different SA - South America. :lol3:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 27 Jun 2012, 2:33 pm

The Golden Wattles were in flower along the Pacific Highway againas we were travelling to Brisbane, Qld & back . They are a common roadside planting. This flowering is again about two months earlier than their normal flowering period which is late winter, early spring & it is just the start of winter.

Unfortunately, due to the dull, rainy conditions, they weren't displayed at their best which is a stand out bright yellow. These images were taken as we were returning home this morning, from Brisbane. Saw these flowering wattles for most of our trip but it wasn't easy getting a decent shot of them, from the car, as we travelling at 110kph, plus the rain.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 27 Jun 2012, 2:37 pm

It really was quite dark this morning.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 27 Jun 2012, 2:39 pm

Dark & gloomy so the golden wattle did not glow as it usually does.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 27 Jun 2012, 2:42 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 7:40 pm