OUR IMAGES

Sarracenia Purpura

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Sarracenia Purpura

Post by Joy on Sun 11 Oct 2009, 3:01 pm

We have two types of sarracenias. This one is a sarracenia purpura, I believe. They are never properly named on the plant tags, ever!!!!! Have searched & found this plant to closely resemble a purpura. Here are some images, from yesterday, of its flower bud & new spring growth. As the weather doesn't get very cold here, the sarracenias tend to have leaves (traps) all year round, though they do brown off over winter.

Its flower bud.

Some of its spring growth. The dark purple/maroon coloration is not, yet, evident.

Last edited by Joybells on Thu 15 Oct 2009, 4:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Sarracenia Purpura

Post by Joy on Sun 11 Oct 2009, 3:17 pm

Here are some images from last autumn when the plant was in its full colour. It is slow to get going after winter & it takes a little while before it is looking really good with its large, red traps.

These are great plants & aren't very demanding, asking only to be kept moist at all times. Its potting medium is peat moss. It is really, really difficult to hydrate at first & should never, ever be allowed to dry out as it is nearly impossible to rehydrate. All carnivorous plants cannot tolerate treated tap water, so we use rainwater.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 15 Oct 2009, 4:02 pm

The flower has opened & seems to have holes at the top to allow pollinating insects enter as there aren't petals in the true sense. These are strange plants.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 17 Oct 2009, 10:08 pm

The flower, now, appears to be coming to the end of its cycle. :cry:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 28 Sep 2010, 10:18 pm

This plant seemed to go into a type of hibernation after it flowered last year. :sleepy: Now with spring here, it seems to be wakening up. :cool4: A few days ago I cut off all of the old pitchers which were mostly dead. There was one new pitcher left. It has grown quickly & now there are several new traps. :cool: :excited: This is very pleasing. :good:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 3:31 pm

The sarracenia purpura has certainly grown quite a lot since the previous image was taken, less than a month ago. Here is todays' shot.

Do hope it becomes the darker red as it was a couple of years ago. It is good to see it growing again as it didn't do much of that last spring/summer, unfortunately.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 4:06 pm

The sarracenia purpura is growing very well this spring after not doing so well last year. Don't know what happened with it. :huh2: Anyway it seems to be back to normal & has many pitchers. Do hope it will go the deep purple it should be.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 04 Jan 2011, 5:45 pm

Our sarracenia purpura "Trumpet Pitcher" plant has so many pitchers it is hard to water it properly. The container is chock-a-block with them. It certainly has recovered from it previous sparse self of last summer. :excited:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 03 Mar 2011, 9:42 pm

There are even more pitchers, now, in the sarracenia purpura's pot. They are really crammed in. There isn't any spare space for any more trumpet pitchers. It is looking good.

Bruce

Post by Bruce on Fri 04 Mar 2011, 6:28 am

Boy it's gone crazy this year :love:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 23 Mar 2011, 2:40 pm

It does seem as though our sarracenia purpura is on a real growth spurt as there are even more pitchers crammed into its pot now. Will have to repot it for next spring. Cannot believe how many pitchers it has now. The flies also visited this plant when they were attracted here by the "aroma" of the stapelia gigantea "Carrion Flower". :sick2:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 23 Mar 2011, 2:42 pm

Some close ups of parts of the sarracenia purpura showing just how packed in the pitchers are.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 23 Mar 2011, 2:43 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 23 Mar 2011, 2:46 pm

The top "flares" of these pitchers are 10cm (4in) across!! :o

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 23 Mar 2011, 2:48 pm

The top of the tallish green pitcher has opened up & is more than 10cm (4in) across, too.

This pic really only shows about half of the plant.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 23 Mar 2011, 2:52 pm

There is a small blowfly on the back of the top of the right hand pitcher. Hopefully, it walked around the front & into the enticing mouth of the pitcher. :whistle:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 10 May 2011, 3:36 pm

One of the large sarracenia purpura pitchers caught in the morning sun. It does show the blood vein-like tracery present in the top of its trumpet pitcher. It looks so amazing.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 11 May 2011, 7:03 pm

Wow this is a very interesting plant and fascinating to look at Joy!, and this last image with the sun revealing its' veins' is great. Gosh they get quite big!, I can imagine it must like to be near the carrion flower :yum: flies :lol2: Thanks for the photos they were great ! :cool3:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 11 May 2011, 9:24 pm

Thanks Dawn. :) It does seem to have recovered from having the flower the previous summer. Flowering for these plants, even just one flower, knocks them around dreadfully. Last year it only had a few, forlorn traps, so we were really happy to see its pot crammed with pitcher traps this past summer. The pot is chock-a-block full of them. Might need to give it a bigger pot!! It is still looking good with plenty of healthy traps. Hasn't started to die off for winter yet.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 16 May 2011, 6:21 am

I remembered you mentioned this happened to your venus fly trap a while back after flowering. That flower is so unusual isn' t it Joy ?. It is a pity that the flowering does this to them ! Almost makes you want to wish it won't flower :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 16 May 2011, 9:37 am

Yes, it is a shame, Dawn, so, now, I don't allow any flower stems to grow. They are pinched off when they are about 2.5cm tall & it is obvious they are a flower stem, not a trap. Fortunately, this past year has not seen any flower stems growing on the sarracenia purpura. Did only allow this one, & our previous Venus Fly Traps, to flower because I was curious as what the flowers looked like.

The VFT did not recover, neither did the other sarracenia. It flowered with its beautiful, but strange looking, flower before I even noticed a flower stem. The flower was low down, in amongst the pitchers, so was not easily seen until it actually flowered.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 24 Jul 2011, 8:54 am

Most of the pitchers on the sarracenia purpura are crispy brown at the moment, thiough some are still green. Guess it is winter & we have been having some very cool nights.

Post by Guest on Sat 17 Dec 2011, 11:46 am

Lovely plants Joy I have never grown the carnivorous plants but last week I ordered a Nepenthes ventricosa common name condom plant ,I should get it hopefully next week. :yes:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 17 Dec 2011, 12:05 pm

That is great to hear, Pixie. :cool3: Nepenthes should do very well in your climate. :sun:

When I was in Penang & was travelling up Penang Hill in the funicular, I noticed some pitcher plants (nepenthes) growing at a particular altitude. Think it was only about halfway up. The highest peak in Penang Hill, which is a group of hills, is Flagstaff Hill which is 735 m (2,450 ft) high. Think this was the one we were travelling up.

Our sarracenia purpura has grown many pitchers since I wrote about it last & co-incidentally, I took a pic of it this morning & will be posting it later today. :lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 17 Dec 2011, 1:53 pm

Here is a pic taken today of our sarracenia purpura. The sarracenia purpura has grown mant pitchers since waking from its winter dormancy. There are a couple of pitchers which are turning a crispy brown. They are from last summer.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 17 Aug 2017, 7:33 pm