OUR IMAGES

Pickle Snow Peas

Glad E Olah

default Pickle Snow Peas

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 10 Jun 2011, 2:53 pm

My daughter wanted to try pickling some of the snow peas so what I picked today I pickles. I picked enough for her a pint of pickles and me a pint. After they set in refrigerator for a couple of days will try them and let everyone know.

Speaking of pickles.............cucumbers have little ones now so I should be pickling cucumbers maybe next week.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Pickle Snow Peas

Post by Joy on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 2:23 pm

Was going to ask how the pickled snow peas taste, Glad, but then I remembered that they have to sit & matured for a little while, don't they?? :) Would they be served with ham or something similar?? As you can probably tell, we don't eat pickled anything. :lol!:

Post by Guest on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 12:49 am

Glad E Olah wrote:My daughter wanted to try pickling some of the snow peas so what I picked today I pickles. I picked enough for her a pint of pickles and me a pint. After they set in refrigerator for a couple of days will try them and let everyone know.

Speaking of pickles.............cucumbers have little ones now so I should be pickling cucumbers maybe next week.

Will be very interested in your pea pickle Glad and how it turns out as it looks as if we are going to have a bumper crop and may need an alternative to freezing.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 3:38 am

Billy the recipe is a regular dill pickle recipe. You could make sweet if you prefer.

The peas I get this afternoon will be pickled. The earlier bunch is about done and the later bunch I think were planted too late but we are getting some from the vines. I am interested in how you staked them. This is the first year I have been able to grow peas.

Post by Guest on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 6:36 am

Glad i hope these pics explain fairly well how i support my peas. The mesh is discarded electric sheep netting. in reality it is all plastic
    apart from a few very small wires that run through it to carry the current (battery ) and when these small wires break as they do over time the farmers throw it away. In the picture you can see the firm supports at each end ( metal reinforcing bars that were thrown on a skip by builders ) or you can use wooden posts. i usually fasten a long cone or piece of wood across the top to hold the lash up together to stop it sagging when the peas get big. The row nearest is a single row of peas, the one behind ( the taller ones ) is a double row about 3 to 4 inches apart. Space between the two rows is about 2 feet, should really be a bit more.

The mesh is put in place as soon as the peas come above ground so i can see the row. If the vine starts to stray away from the mesh as they get tall i just pull them in by tying a strand of baler twine lengthway along the rows on either side.

Hope you can make this out. Not the prettiest, but it does the job.

Post by Guest on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 6:42 am

Forgot to say the 12 beds are all roughly 4 to 5 foot wide and 9 foot long,
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:05 am

Thanks Billy.

Basically how I have mine but my fence is wire. This is the first successful year for me to grow peas. I think I had been planting the wrong variety but the snow peas seem to be growing great. Next time I will try a better support system. The peas would break away from their fence during high winds. I did not get many today so I am thinking over the weekend pulling the plants up. They are showing signs of dying off at the bottom. I could use that area for late cucumbers.

Post by Guest on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 2:04 pm

Good idea about the cucumbers Glad, i usually try and put another row of peas in after the first is over , but i guess our climate is ok for that, doesnt always work but worth a try.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 12:04 am

Peas came up spotty this year. We did suffer a heat wave right after they came up. Son thinks it was to hot for them.

I may have enough to eat a mess or two as they are beginning to bloom now.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 7:50 am

That is good to hear, Glad. They may recover & provide you with heaps of peas.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 12:08 pm

Joy wrote:That is good to hear, Glad. They may recover & provide you with heaps of peas.

Now that is looking for the best.

Thanks Joy!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 1:33 pm

Yep, I am a half glass full person, Glad. :lol3:

Post by Guest on Wed 02 May 2012, 4:42 pm

Hope you get lots of peas, Glad. I remember picking them for my father when I was younger.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 03 May 2012, 2:25 am

Tanks marytaz. I saw the first signs of blooms today so we may have a few but not near as many as last year. I still have some seed left so will plant them this fall and take a chance.

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 2:36 pm