OUR IMAGES

Lucky Bean Plant ~ Castanospermum Australe

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Lucky Bean Plant ~ Castanospermum Australe

Post by Joy on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:23 pm

Two & 1/2 years ago we bought this unusual container planting as I thought it looked terrific. It wasn't till I was able to check it out on the web that I found out that these were rainforest trees, indigenous to our region & areas north to Cape York at the top of Australia, which, if left to grow normally, would eventually reach the height of 40 metres (133ft)!!! Now, that would look good on the dining table. The common names of this tree are Moreton Bay Chestnut, Chinese Lucky Bean, Black Bean or Fortune Tree. Its species name is castanospermum australe & its new plants sprout from these fantastic large green beans. They seemed to be doing very well & were shooting up nicely.

Trouble was, eventually, over time the beans shrivelled up as their nutrients were reabsorbed by the growing shoots. Then the plants started to die off as well. They also seemed to get some sort of scaly leaf infestation. I wasn't impressed as it wasn't cheap to buy. Anyway, I put it out on the front patio where it continued to struggle. After a while I decided to toss it out on an abandoned garden in the yard of our complex. There had been just one sickly looking plant left from the original 12 or 13. Did this several months ago & forgot all about the plant. Had even deleted most of its images from my albums.

Lo & behold, a few days ago, Bruiser discovered the lone plant, not only alive but apparently, thriving. Its stem was thicker than previously & it had grown another branch. I had seen it in that garden but never twigged it was the castanospermum australe as I had banished it from my feeble brain. Asked Bruiser to remove it & we found it have sent strong roots down into the ground from it potting mix. It was also growing upside down so its new branch was at a funny angle & something had been dining on its other leaves. Nevertheless, I decided to repot it & see what would happen.

Here it was when we first bought it.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Lucky Bean Plant ~ Castanospermum Australe

Post by Joy on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:27 pm

An image of its beans with a little friend of ours hiding in the forest.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:30 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:31 pm

Here is an image of when it started to shoot up. This new growth added about 10-15cms (4-6ins) to its height.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:33 pm

The beans starting to shrivel up & get discoloured. That is a surprise toadstool which grew in the container.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:37 pm

That evening. More of the beans are noticeably spotty & discoloured.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:39 pm

Here it is now after being dragged from the ground & repotted. The inverted branch may, hopefully, turn over the right way.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:40 pm

Its stem is also curved over. We are hoping it, too, will straighten up, eventually.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:43 pm

Where it is living now.

Here is a link to information about this wonderful plant.

Castanospermum Australe ~ Lucky Bean Plant
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 24 Sep 2011, 9:12 am

This poor plant is now, officially, gone. finished, kaput. I dumped it & will put its pot to other uses. The leaves gradually withered & were definitely dying. Do not know why because it was well treated. Probably is not meant to be a potted plant. :O

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 12:35 am