OUR IMAGES

Tea Plants

Glad E Olah

default Tea Plants

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 1:32 am

I decided to start a new thread for the tea plants. They have been planted for a couple of months now and actually I am wondering about them. Will show a couple pictures of one of the plants. There are three different varieties and all three look the same at this point. Wire is to protect them from the rabbits and squirrels.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Tea Plants

Post by Joy on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:57 pm

That would be a very interesting planting, Glad. Never really knew they were sold as garden plants. Not that I know that much about such things. :lol!: One thing I did know was that tea plants are members of the camellia genus so it will be wonderful to see what the flowers will look like. Probably not as fancy as those on an ornamental camellia bush but most likely rather pretty.

Certainly do hope your's will do well & that the critters cannot get to it. I suppose we are lucky in that we do not have squirrels, moles or deer to bother our plants. There are pest rabbits but they are not, generally, found in our yards, thank goodness.

Thank you, Glad, for posting this topic. Once more, I have learnt something new.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 08 Jun 2011, 2:55 pm

Well Joy I am learning something new too. I looked tea plants up on google and it was mentioned that it may be a couple of years before we should pick the tea leaves. Must be a slow grower.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:24 pm

Some sites say that the slower a tea plant grows the better the flavour of its leaves. They also need a great deal of water, at least 50 inches a year. So keep that watering can at the ready, Glad. :lol: In two or three years you will be making your own green tea.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 10 Jun 2011, 2:46 pm

Thanks Joy. Been watering the tea plants each time I water the garden. Actually they are less that 10 feet from the water faucet.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 10 Jun 2011, 3:24 pm

Well, Glad, that, indeed, would be very handy for keeping the tea plants watered. :D

When I was a kid, I remember people (including my mother) would plant mint, another water-hungry plant, right beside a tap that was often called "the kitchen tap" simply because it was outside near the kitchen & was, usually, in the shade. :lol: It was even better if the tap had a bit of a constant drip.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:51 pm

Gosh Glad what a lovely and unusual plant to have. I have never heard of tea being grown in domestic gardens before. It will be very interesting to watch it grow! As Joy says I also would love to see the flowers of the tea plants . Thanks for the thread :)
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 12:03 pm

I will get new pictures soon. Seems the tea plant is growing a bit now. I would love to see the blooms too. I have been told the aroma is very nice.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 10:17 am

How is your tea plant coping with the heat, Glad??
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:43 pm

It is growing slowly but I keep it watered.

I took a picture yesterday but had trouble transferring pictures. The sunflower picture was a repeat and when I went to post a picture of the hibiscus it sent the sunflower again. Will try once again now.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:46 pm

Well there it is. Will try and get the others to post.

The tea plant is healthy and gets a good drink of water daily. All three look the same.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:43 pm

It certainly is growing well, Glad. That is good to see. :)

Maybe Servimg was playing up or was extra busy. Either way, I am pleased for you, that your pic arrived safely. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 11 Jun 2014, 3:42 pm

I was saddened that we lost all three tea plants. Our harsh winter this past year took the third plant.  Not sure if I will replace them or not.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 11 Jun 2014, 4:25 pm

That is sad for you, Glad. They were wonderful plants. 

I know they are grown in hilly regions such as the foothills of the Himalayas but am not sure that tea plants can handle too much snow. It does seem they can cope with the occasional light frost & snow dusting but not for prolonged periods. Maybe if they, especially the younger plants, had been more established they may have been able to handle a longer spell of a snowy winter.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:05 pm

Our winter was harsh this year....really cold for too many days in a row and snow or ice stayed on the ground for longer days.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 12 Jun 2014, 7:24 am

Oh dear, I would guess that would have been tough conditions for any plant to survive, Glad. The ones that did must be really hardy.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 13 Jun 2014, 2:42 pm

Do you believe in the supernatural? 

Well, this is no lie and even had to make sure my son observed as well. 

Today I was cleaning out the weeds in the little spot where the last tea plant was planted.  I was about to pull up the dead plant and saw touches of green leaves at the bottom of the dead looking stems.  I will take a picture when I can of it so all will see.  I could not believe my eyes!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 13 Jun 2014, 2:50 pm

Wonderful, Glad!!  It is regrowing!! That exact same thing happened with an old neglected rose bush in our unit complex's yard. An idiot tenant pulled it out of the ground to replant it elsewhere & it promptly died. Later, in the spot where it originally grew, before she yanked it out, new shoots started growing & now it is as it was before. Still neglected but fully regrown. 

Some plants do amaze us. It will probably grow into a new bush.  :bravo:
    granny

Post by granny on Fri 13 Jun 2014, 6:45 pm

:smile: Glad, I am so glad the tea plant has little green leaves.  If it can make it after the winter we just had it should really do great.  Good luck!   Granny
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 14 Jun 2014, 2:48 pm

Thanks granny and Joy.

When the green is a bit bigger I will take a picture to show everyone.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 14 Jun 2014, 4:38 pm

Thanks Glad.  :D

Current date/time is Thu 27 Jul 2017, 2:34 pm