OUR IMAGES

BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

Post by Joy on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 2:07 pm

You have a reasonable harvest of beets, Glad. They will taste so good, too. Have even eaten raw grated beetroot in a salad at a restaurant. It was something I would never have thought to do & it tasted so good. Think young beets would be the best for that use, though.

Post by Guest on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 3:36 pm

Yes Joy they are beetroot in the pic,i grow two sorts, round and long, sow a batch every 3 weeks until August, we pickle some, eat some straight away ( cooked and put in vinegar ) but have never tried grated raw, sounds worth a try. I can make a meal of beetroot, strong cheddar cheese and new bread and butter.

Mine aren't quite big enough yet Glad but wont be long now with all the rain we are having.

The strawberries tend to go mouldy if we get a wet spell so don't take any chances, especially with the weather we are having at the moment.

The recommended time for planting them here is in the autumn ( fall ) Glad,. I usually take some runners off the best plants every two years
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 3:51 pm

You sure have plenty of beetroots, BigBilly. I was surprised to see grated raw beetroot in that salad, too, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. A favourite, many years ago, was cooked beetroot in vinegar, added to salads. I used quite a bit of sugar on them. :lol: These were the usual large beetroots they used to sell back then. Now you pay a fortune for dainty little "baby" beets.

It would be a shame to see your lovely strawberries go mouldy from the rain. No wonder you put a cover over them. Unfortunately, strawberries are no longer just a summer treat here in Oz as they are now grown, nearly all year round. Various regions here have different growing seasons & as they grow stuff for the market whenever their growing season is on, it means we get watermelon & strawberries all year round, as well as other fruits & vegetables.

Post by Guest on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 4:15 pm

Tried storing some of the mature beetroot in dry sand last year Joy, didnt get that right though, what hadn't gone to mush tasted terrible, so will stick to pickling them when they are young.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 4:23 pm

Oh dear, BigBilly. :O At least they pickle well, don't they?? There must be a way of, successfully, storing them through the winter, though.

Post by Guest on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 4:31 pm

Yes Joy the beets do pickle really well. We try and do them before they get too big, when they really are tender.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 4:41 pm

Yes, they would be the best, BigBilly. The larger ones can get a bit fibrous, can't they?? Once upon a time, that was all you could buy at the greengrocer's.

Post by Guest on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 8:14 pm

Took up the path to wrinkleys rest yesterday, sieved it and got 5 tubs os lovely soil, then relaid the " carpet "

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 8:54 pm

BIGBILLY21 wrote:Took up the path to wrinkleys rest yesterday, sieved it and got 5 tubs os lovely soil, then relaid the " carpet "

What a beautiful garden spot!. I can just imagine how nice it must be to sit there, taking everything in and relaxing. !
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 8:56 pm

My word, you have been busy, BigBilly. That would have been quite a job doing all that. The relaid path looks lovely & comfortable for the feet.

Is the sieved soil a result of the previous hedge trimmings breaking down over time?? Also, have the new hedge trimmings come from that neatly trimmed hedge on the right of the picture?? Questions, questions, questions. I do have plenty of those, eh.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 26 Jun 2011, 12:58 am

I just love your rest area BigBilly. So peaceful and the flowers are beautiful.

Comment for the grated beetroot.........it makes delicious relish. Will try to find the recipe for you.

Post by Guest on Sun 26 Jun 2011, 8:45 pm

Todays pickings

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Jun 2011, 8:59 pm

BIGBILLY21 wrote:Todays pickings

Happiness ! :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 26 Jun 2011, 8:59 pm

My word, BigBilly, that is a fantastic feast you have picked from your garden. Everything looks so wonderful & super fresh. Your garden is so fruitful. Pardon the awful pun. :blush2: :whistle:

Thank you for taking the time to take the picture of today's delicious crop & post it for us to drool over. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 26 Jun 2011, 11:54 pm

Perfection BigBilly and beautiful.

May I copy this picture to use at my site?

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:07 am

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Re pic.
    Of course glad. Up to our necks in freezing and jamming this afternoon.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 27 Jun 2011, 6:50 am

Thanks Billy.

Have fun freezing and jamming. Nice combo.

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Jun 2011, 4:45 pm

Joy wrote:My word, you have been busy, BigBilly. That would have been quite a job doing all that. The relaid path looks lovely & comfortable for the feet.

Is the sieved soil a result of the previous hedge trimmings breaking down over time?? Also, have the new hedge trimmings come from that neatly trimmed hedge on the right of the picture?? Questions, questions, questions. I do have plenty of those, eh.

No probs with the questions Joy, only too happy to answer if i can.

Yes, the soil did come from the hedge on th right of the pic that has broken down over a couple of years or so Joy, but the new stuff is from a Leylandii hedge in the new picture that is not mine but next doors. Trouble is its very quick growing and if you don't keep on top of it, it runs away in height. What makes it more of a prob is its mainly above two of my roofs , one glass, one plastic which we have to get on to trim it, so i said i would keep MY side cut. Trouble is he didn't cut the top it got so tall was blocking our light, i couldn't reach, friendly talks took place, he paid me to do it, from his side , he went on holiday, friend and son helped, seven foot came off the top, job done !!
    and i got a lot of good path making mulch. So thats the story, sorry to be so long winded and boring.

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Jun 2011, 4:53 pm

By the way tried the grated raw beet yesterday in a salad , excellent. Would love the relish recipe if you can find it Glad.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 27 Jun 2011, 11:03 pm

BIGBILLY21 wrote:By the way tried the grated raw beet yesterday in a salad , excellent. Would love the relish recipe if you can find it Glad.

Ok Billy will look for it.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 12:02 am

If you find it Glad can I have it too? thank you !
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 6:11 am

BIGBILLY21 wrote:

No probs with the questions Joy, only too happy to answer if i can.

Yes, the soil did come from the hedge on th right of the pic that has broken down over a couple of years or so Joy, but the new stuff is from a Leylandii hedge in the new picture that is not mine but next doors. Trouble is its very quick growing and if you don't keep on top of it, it runs away in height. What makes it more of a prob is its mainly above two of my roofs , one glass, one plastic which we have to get on to trim it, so i said i would keep MY side cut. Trouble is he didn't cut the top it got so tall was blocking our light, i couldn't reach, friendly talks took place, he paid me to do it, from his side , he went on holiday, friend and son helped, seven foot came off the top, job done !!
    and i got a lot of good path making mulch. So thats the story, sorry to be so long winded and boring.

No need to apologise, BigBilly, you most definitely haven't been "long winded & boring". On the contrary. Have heard about that species of hedge & how this quick growing hedge tree is causing so much trouble with neighbours. Some have lost all their light. At least your neighbour seems very good about this. That would make it so much easier to cope with. Your wonderful garden needs its light as does your home.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 10:39 am

Dawn wrote:If you find it Glad can I have it too? thank you !

Posted in the recipe section for you.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:01 pm

Thank you very much Glad for the recipe :good:

Post by Guest on Fri 01 Jul 2011, 3:11 pm

Glad E Olah wrote:
    Dawn wrote:If you find it Glad can I have it too? thank you !

Posted in the recipe section for you.

Thanks for the relish recipe Glad. Will try it when the cabbage are ready.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 02 Jul 2011, 12:37 pm

Billy you can substiute green tomatoes instead of cabbage if you don't want to wait that long

As a matter of fact there is a green tomato relish that lots of people call "End of the garden relish" because it is using up items when frost is predicted. It too calls for cabbage.

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:48 pm