OUR IMAGES

BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

Glad E Olah

default Re: BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 3:34 am

Good looking peas BigBilly. The wind did havoc on my peas the other day. Thank goodness they are about done. I will pick some later in the afternoon when the area is shady. Also beans too.

Would you happen to have a picture of the peas before you staked them? Just wondering how this was done.

Post by Guest on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 2:49 pm

The working end of the veggie garden. The compost bins, the plastic ones are full, the big one in use. Home to the brandling worms.

Post by Guest on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 3:27 pm

Broad beans, not long now before we can have a picking

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 3:30 pm

A-a-a-h, the business end of your garden, eh, BigBilly?? The worms have a fine home, too, I might add. :D Absolutely nothing goes to waste in your garden, does it?? Fantastic!!

The broad beans also look terrific. Certainly much better than those I have seen in the shops. Congratulations. :clap:

Post by Guest on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 3:39 pm

Thanks Joy,
    Did wonder about posting the non elegant end of the garden, but thought it only right that i show it all ,, mistakes as well. hope thats ok.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 3:45 pm

It most definitely is ok, BigBilly. :good: That is what gardening is all about, isn't it?? The only reason we do not have a compost heap is because we don't have a yard & Bruiser doesn't eat enough green stuff to keep it going. :lol: If we had a wormery the worms would starve, I'm afraid. :O

Post by Guest on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 6:55 pm

Yipee !! First pickings.

Try not to waste anything Joy especially these, but what does get thrown away is criminal, if you look at the pictures of the compost bins, behind one of the plastic ones is a big circle wrapped in a plastic cover, believe it or not its a brand new 50 mtr coil of alkathene pipe never been opened and thrown on a skip by builders. But someone paid for it!!! Scandalus.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 8:51 pm

Boy, do those strawberries look fabulous, BigBilly!!! What a wonderful dessert you & your wife will be having. :bravo: Strawberries, fresh cream & a sprinkling of sugar. Yummeee!!

Before we had council-provided recycling bins, there used to be scavengers who paid the council for permission to scavenge amongst the garbage at the tip. When they finally closed off the tip with fencing, restricted the opening hours & started to charge people who were bringing excess rubbish to the tip, you could get in for free if you were bringing in recyclables such as paper & glass, etc. A neighbouring council has the largest worm farm in the southern hemisphere, which is used to process organic waste from their residents. They sell the wormcastings & liquid fertiliser. Our council is not so forward thinking.

Post by Guest on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 9:44 pm

We had some strawberries left from some we bought before ours were ready Joy, so wife made jam with ours, she said i should have left them for at least another day or two for eating. SOOO slapped wrist for me.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 8:59 am

:lol2: Consider yourself told, BigBilly, though I can completely understand why you did pick them as they look so tempting. :D No doubt the the jam will also taste delicious. :good:

Post by Guest on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:34 am

Nearly had a disaster with my peas too (re Glad above ) went out this morning and the top 2 foot of one row had gone over and the next ow was going, had heavy rain overnight. Had to do rescue work with cable ties, canes and baler twine. Did the best we could and hope we have saved them as they are just starting to give us a crop ( Do find the cable ties very handy round the garden ),
    when we got it a bit tidy found the vines were 5 foot tall

But on a cheery note the potatoes are ok and delicious.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:29 am

Very ingenious work in saving your pea vines, BigBilly. Even I use small cable ties on some of my potted plants. Bruiser has some really tiny ones. The potatoes do look good. You would not even have to peel those ones.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:34 am

Wow did I miss out on a bunch of posts since puter crashed! I came in just barely but missed reading everything.

BigBilly your strawberries are beautiful!

Glad you were able to straighten the peas. I pulled my plants Friday because they were almost done anyway. They were crowding the cucumbers so now the cucumbers will have a chance to grow up the fence.

We got a heavy storm in the middle of Saturday night/Sunday morning. My pepper plants were laying low so I straightened them up. Been sunny all afternoon so that is good. We got a nice rain.

Post by Guest on Thu 23 Jun 2011, 3:29 pm

Been cutting the hedge and put the trimmings down as a mulch, soon goes brown and its great to walk on

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 23 Jun 2011, 5:13 pm

What a great idea, BigBilly!! :bravo: You are so resourceful. The trimmings would make a lovely spongy, soft path. :cool3:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 23 Jun 2011, 9:05 pm

I agree Joy. When I pulled up the spent pea plants I laid them between the cabbages. Letting the die off and turn brown then will turn them back into the soil. Meanwhile they are nice to walk on.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:44 pm

Looks good for keeping the mud down on rainy days too I should imagine BB21, Those kind of leaf clipping are nice and sturdy I should imagine they last quite a while too! :good:

Post by Guest on Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:11 am

The girls love a bit of surplus lettuce.

The first redcurrants, some frozen and some made into redcurrant jelly.

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:11 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : grammer)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 24 Jun 2011, 7:54 am

Have heard that greens are great for helping chooks get brighter yellow yolks in their eggs. Chooks are so useful for keeping a garden weed-free. Have even seen them used on sugar cane farms for this purpose but the snakes would find them tasty, I'd imagine. :whistle:

Those redcurrants look absolutely delicious, BigBilly. You & Glad are both having a wonderful harvest. When our spring & summer finally rolls around, it will be Dawn's turn. :D

Post by Guest on Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:22 pm

Dawn wrote:Looks good for keeping the mud down on rainy days too I should imagine BB21, Those kind of leaf clipping are nice and sturdy I should imagine they last quite a while too!

Certainly does make a good " carpet " on the path Dawn, and does as you say keep shoes clean when its wet. I leave it down for about 2 years or so, by which time it can then be scraped off and put it on the garden.

Post by Guest on Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:29 pm

Joy wrote:Have heard that greens are great for helping chooks get brighter yellow yolks in their eggs. Chooks are so useful for keeping a garden weed-free. Have even seen them used on sugar cane farms for this purpose but the snakes would find them tasty, I'd imagine.

Those redcurrants look absolutely delicious, BigBilly. You & Glad are both having a wonderful harvest. When our spring & summer finally rolls around, it will be Dawn's turn.

You are absolutely right about the green stuff for yolk colour Joy, the folks who buy the eggs are always commenting on that.
    Takes the chickens about 30 seconds to demolish a large lettuce so they like it.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:34 pm

Have heard that they love lettuce, BigBilly. :smile: No wonder egg & lettuce sandwiches taste so good. :lol2:

Post by Guest on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 6:21 am

Chickens got out once Joy and cleared a bed of lettuce in about a quarter of an hour.

Having so much rain now have put temporary covers on the strawberry beds.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 7:05 am

Another fine example of your ingenuity, BigBilly. :good: Do strawberries react badly to too much rain???

Is that beetroot in the front of the pic?? Looks very healthy whatever it is.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 12:26 pm

That does look like beets Joy. I pulled my first batch this afternoon. Not a lot but ok with them no more than I had planted. I think there may be about 4 pints to pickle and enough for some fresh cooked too. The second batch is growing nicely. I may try to plant more in late July for fall harvest.

BigBilly your strawberries are beautiful. I am going to grow them next year. I may be able to plant them this fall.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 2:07 pm

You have a reasonable harvest of beets, Glad. They will taste so good, too. Have even eaten raw grated beetroot in a salad at a restaurant. It was something I would never have thought to do & it tasted so good. Think young beets would be the best for that use, though.

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 12:39 am