OUR IMAGES

BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

Post by Joy on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 5:23 pm

:lol2: One does have to make do with what is at hand, Dawn. Guess our "chickens" would be the noisy, scrappy, funny rainbow lorikeets that abound here.

Post by Guest on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 6:06 pm

Joy wrote:Thank you very much. BigBilly.

Most importantly, keep on enjoying your gardening. You will have much to teach those of us who have yards to garden in.

Must say, watching chickens scratching around would be kind of relaxing. Do they eat the garden waste & weeds??

Funny you mention that word WASTE Joy had a few words about it in the flowers in pots topic.
    I guess its my upbringing that makes that word what it is to me Joy, Me Dad did a runner when i was young and times were very hard right up to the time my own kids left home, the saying neccesity is the mother of invention comes to mind. Yes the chicken get all the household food waste and anything that is deemed edible from the garden, no green stuff leaves here at all, its either chickens or compost heap, i also put the old chicken litter on the compost to give it a bit of oomf, it all spends at least a year " making ", ( Was intriueged by Glad's compost ball must ask her about it ) So at the end of the day we try to utilize everthing we can, even the eggshells go back on the compost heap.

One golden rule i have though, NO meat of fish waste on the compost.

Please exscuse my spelling of the big words.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 9:19 pm

Yes, I did see your post in your container topic, BigBilly & have posted a response. :) As we do not have our own yard because we live in a unit complex we cannot have a garden, compost heap or chooks, unfortunately. We just have the two very small patios to house our rather large collection of potted plants. So, we get much pleasure from the gardens both you & Glad are making. This is why the pics are so enjoyable. :D

What are your thoughts about using a worm farm?? A neighbouring council has developed the largest worm farm in the southern hemisphere to utilise kitchen (except meat, etc, just like your compost) & green waste from its residents. They sell the worm castings, etc for fertiliser.

Psst, don't worry about spelling, we can read & understand what you are saying perfectly well. :cool3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 10:28 pm

BIGBILLY21 wrote:You are so right about being outside Dawn,we love it. We have just about finished the bulk of the flower planting now so hopefully will be able to take it a bit easier and admire our efforts, but thers always something to do. Daft as it may seem i find it relaxing sitting with a cup of tea watching the chickens with all their little odd bits of behavior.

I would also find it very relaxing I love watching nature and animals , chickens or not. not daft at all, very true. I once long ago read a book about a young boy who had a pet rooster and all the antics it got up to, after that I wanted a pet like that! Of course if you keep chickens for the pot it is not wise to keep them as a pet . I grew up where we kept chickens for eggs and the pot and grew most of our own vegetables which was my mothers hobby in the end. I miss rural life, but my garden keeps me from becoming to sentimental over the past. I am half ways through reading a book called Larkrise to Candleford by Flora Thompson. Set in rural Oxfordshire about the communities and farming in the last decades of the 19th century. I am sure this almost where you are situated, or not far away? anyhow ! have a cup for us here!

Post by Guest on Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:11 am

We are about 40 miles or one hour from the city of Oxford,, but the county border is a lot closer, Dawn .But we may be a bit more rural, only about 30 houses in the village altogether.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:22 am

This is a very enjoyable thread BigBilly21.

I am like you though sometimes not enough time to read everything though.

I am going outside to pick the peas. Also taking the camera with me.

Post by Guest on Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:55 am

Wow , Wow and Wow..

I love all the pics you share of the garden and what a great job you and the missus do with veggies and flowers.

It puts my efforts to shame.

We're in a drought again... no surprise there so I get so jealous seeing all the lovely displays of veggies and flowers from everyone's garden.

Thanks BB for sharing part of your life with us.

Post by Guest on Sun 05 Jun 2011, 4:00 pm

Thanks for your comments Scots, but its horses for courses as they say. There are times when i long for a spell of warm, settled weather, but as we can't change the weather i guess its a case of being adaptable,but at least our climate here gives us a good mix.

Post by Guest on Sun 05 Jun 2011, 4:08 pm

Glad E Olah wrote:This is a very enjoyable thread BigBilly21.

I am like you though sometimes not enough time to read everything though.

I am going outside to pick the peas. Also taking the camera with me.

Lucky you with the peas Glad,well done, need at least another week here, am going to have a peep at the outdoor potatoes today to see if i can get a feed.

Absolutely agree with you about this thread Glad, haven't been here long but i really do feel " at Home " and among like minded folks.

GOOD PICKINS
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 05 Jun 2011, 4:15 pm

All the best with your potatoes, BigBilly. There is nothing quite like fresh young potatoes, smothered in butter, after they are cooked. :D
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Sun 05 Jun 2011, 4:36 pm

Or baked alongside a leg of lamb yummmmm :smile:

Post by Guest on Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:29 pm

Joy wrote:Yes, I did see your post in your container topic, BigBilly & have posted a response. As we do not have our own yard because we live in a unit complex we cannot have a garden, compost heap or chooks, unfortunately. We just have the two very small patios to house our rather large collection of potted plants. So, we get much pleasure from the gardens both you & Glad are making. This is why the pics are so enjoyable.

What are your thoughts about using a worm farm?? A neighbouring council has developed the largest worm farm in the southern hemisphere to utilise kitchen (except meat, etc, just like your compost) & green waste from its residents. They sell the worm castings, etc for fertiliser.

Psst, don't worry about spelling, we can read & understand what you are saying perfectly well.

Haven't had anything to do with wormery's Joy but lots of people have the small domestic type in their gardens and swear by them for kitchen waste, apparently the liquid that comes out is a very good fertilizer too, watered down of course
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 05 Jun 2011, 9:33 pm

Yes, the liquid is a great fertiliser, apparently, BigBilly. You would have all the stuff necessary to feed the worms with plenty left over to feed the chooks. It might be worth your while to investigate them.

Here is a link to a handy site with info about worm farming in England. Worm Farming
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 12:40 am

Recently I viewed a link for wormery in a flat plastic tote. Instructions on how to make one. Will try to find it.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 12:44 am

Found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ordM5TWyFLw

default re: Big Billy's Garden

Post by Guest on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 7:11 am

Hi!

Its trully amazing . . . . I love it all, Big Billy! You and the Mrs have done a marvelous job between the flowers and the veggies . . its like a dream come true for me. I'm trying the potted route . . I have tomatoes and peppers so far. I haven't done this before so I'm hoping it will work!

I am very impressed with all the work, it makes me want to come and visit to learn, help, etc. Keep up the great work!!

Post by Guest on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 2:45 pm

Glad E Olah wrote:Found it:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ordM5TWyFLw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ordM5TWyFLw[/quote[/url]]

Thanks for the link Glad, sorry not to have replied sooner but have been busy showing our Aussie friends around for over a week so
    everything , including the garden has taken a back seat. Anyway they left yesterday for a few days in London before going home so hopefully we will soon be up and running again.

Had a look at the wormery link , very interesting. I'm lucky though as the three compost bins i have are all chock full of the little red worm that we call brandlings, they do a terrific job on the compost. Had them and their decendants for a long time now, when i empty the bins i carefully take off the layer where the worms are working,put it in a tub till iv'e emptied it then pop them and their bit of the old compost in the bottom to start again.

Post by Guest on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:02 pm

sherriella wrote:Hi!

Its trully amazing . . . . I love it all, Big Billy! You and the Mrs have done a marvelous job between the flowers and the veggies . . its like a dream come true for me. I'm trying the potted route . . I have tomatoes and peppers so far. I haven't done this before so I'm hoping it will work!

I am very impressed with all the work, it makes me want to come and visit to learn, help, etc. Keep up the great work!!

Thanks for your comments Sherri. We both enjoy our gardening and its well worth the efforts when you can go out and pick really fresh food that you know what has gone into it.

Its really amazing what can be done in a short time, have you looked at Glads "as promised " topic quite remarkable how they have
    progressed from scratch.

Good luck with your potted veggie route, I'm sure you will succeed. I grow, tomatoue, cucumbers,potatoes,radish,spring onions,carrots
    and courgetts in containers, not always well, but usually get a crop.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:25 pm

It is good to hear from you again BB21. :D Do hope you have had a very good time with your Aussie friends.

You do have a really neat set up with your compost worms with a mutual benefit for you both, by the sound of it. They certainly a very good home. :good:

Post by Guest on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:49 pm

The mange tout peas are growwing well.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:56 pm

They certainly are, BigBilly. You have a very fine crop there. They are what are called snow peas here, which I like to eat raw. :)

Post by Guest on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 12:39 am

We have the peas in salads too Joy, but also freeze some for the winter. I think they are a good value crop, one of the first things on the seed order.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:49 pm

They look to be a prolific producer, too, BigBilly, for the relatively small space they use. What are the plants directly beside them? They look vaguely familiar but having never grown veggies, I cannot be sure what they are. :blush2:

Do hope you like your avatar. I used one of your pics for it & I hope you don't mind. The default avatar was a bit ordinary.

Post by Guest on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 5:18 pm

Love the avatar Joy, couldn't have chosen a better one myself.
    The crop next to the peas is broad beans, another good doer, we both love them and they freeze really well. They also have nitrogen nodules on the roots which is good for the soil. Its also the crop that we grow the most of. Will try and get pics as they develop.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 5:31 pm

That would be a good crop, too, BigBilly. I am sure your fresh broad beans would taste so much better than commercially grown ones. The main (the only one really) commercial crop in our area is sugar cane & the farmers plant a rotation crop of soybeans to replenish the nitrogen in the soil. Sometimes it is only sown as a plough-in crop but usually it is a cash crop.

So happy you like your avatar. It is such a beautiful image of your home & flower garden.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 3:34 am

Good looking peas BigBilly. The wind did havoc on my peas the other day. Thank goodness they are about done. I will pick some later in the afternoon when the area is shady. Also beans too.

Would you happen to have a picture of the peas before you staked them? Just wondering how this was done.

Current date/time is Thu 27 Jul 2017, 2:29 pm