OUR IMAGES

BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

default Re: BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

Post by Guest on Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:01 pm

The winter garden.
    Carrots, Brussels sprouts, Spring cabbage, Spinach, Lettuce, Strawberry bed, Parsnips and Leeks.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 7:39 am

That is great you can grow all those vegetables right through winter, BigBilly. It will be wonderful to be able to have some fresh veggies all year round. They can cope with snow ok??

Ahem, do you have a mule to pull that plough, I see in the foreground of the pic, or do you hitch up the wife like they used to do in the old days?? ;)

Post by Guest on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 8:38 am

Most of the things in the picture will stand a normal winter ok Joy,apart from the
    lettuce. But if it goes down to minus 16 like it did last winter for a week, then things struggle.

The plough was one of the things that i managed to hang on to when the farm was sold after the boss died, a sort of link with the past I guess. Never seen it used though, I found it under a bramble bush.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 8:53 am

MINUS 16!!! :wow: Was that Fahrenheit or Celcius, BigBilly??? Either way, that is definitely a wee bit chilly!!! :O

The plough looks too small, & fairly "dainty", to be used for large paddock work, doesn't it BB?? Maybe it was used to plough up the kitchen garden after winter, or something. It makes a great garden ornament. :D

Post by Guest on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 9:16 am

CELCIUS Joy.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 9:22 am

That is cold, BigBilly. Why does Antarctica come to mind?? :whistle:

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:29 pm

Too wet and windy (gales } to do any out side gardening so started a bit of indoor growing.

Curled cress 8 days from sowing to cutting. Grown on kitchen paper.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:37 pm

Hello BB great looking Cress :good: .It looks just like the ones you buy in the super markets sold on little tubs. :) It has also grown nice and evenly. Do you sprout it under a hot lamp BB? or without any aid. looks really delicious. Do you have any secrets to rid them of the husk before eating.? Enjoy them !

I have tried to sprout alfalfa seeds here in the winter months and they do not sprout so well.? We are very fond of sprouts and when we can grow some sprout we grow lots and lots and eat them thickly spread between slices of bread as a sandwich filling with a good dollop of mayonnaise! not sure if cress is grown different to any other sprout! We love all kind of sprouts with the exception of fenugreek.

Post by Guest on Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:36 am

Welcome back Dawn.

I grow my cress on white kitchen paper, seed uncovered but with another tray upside down on top for the first few days till its about an inch or so tall. Grown on top of the tall kitchen cupboard where its warm, watered every day but surplus water poured off. After 3 or 4 days take off the top cover so it can get green. Try and cut it above the seed but tend not to worry too much.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:40 am

Thanks for the Welcome back :)

also for the run down on how you sprout the cress. I am going to try a batch done like this, of alfalfa seeds, as I like the idea of being able to cut it off at the "root" and leave the husks behind. I will have to source some cress seed I have never seen it as seed here, only ready sprouted. But it must be available from somewhere if they are sprouting it for retail! Thank you BB

Post by Guest on Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:10 am

A word of warning Dawn re " Cress " .Some that is used is Rape seed, the one i use is Curled Cress and is a sort of ginger coloured seed.

Post by Guest on Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:28 am

More on Cress

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:38 am

Thanks for the heads up on the Cress seed ID. I consider that very important info. :good:

also thanks for the clear info images on the sprouting , great info BB thanks muchly :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 06 Jan 2012, 7:45 am

Bad weather is not a deterrent for a good gardener, eh BigBilly?? :lol3: Growing sprouts does look so easy &, after all the food poisoning problems they have had with commercially grown sprouts in the US, it might be a good idea to grow them at home.

It would also be a great idea, for those (like me) who do not like eating broccoli, to grow broccoli sprouts for their claimed cancer preventive qualities. The broccoli sprouts are supposed to have these in much greater quantities than full grown broccoli & taste like radishes.

Thanks for the suggestion & growing instructions, BB. Especially as it is so easy to do.

Post by Guest on Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:54 am

Second batch of cress, three days from sowing,top off and in the window to green up.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:58 am

Great thanks BB ! :good: Can't wait to get going with some sprouts as soon as I am organised a bit more! :cool3:

Post by Guest on Sat 21 Jan 2012, 7:02 am

Wow BB you have a HUGE garden. I had to google cress :lol3: sure looks like its doing great!!

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 2:41 pm