OUR IMAGES

BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

default Re: BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

Post by Guest on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 1:37 am

The apple store is filling up, and they are all free for the picking.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 7:19 am

BIGBILLY21 wrote:Yes Joy the chooks were up to roost, pic taken as i was about to shut the door.

It is real handy to have your camera with you, at all times, isn't it, BigBilly?? :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 7:32 am

BIGBILLY21 wrote:The apple store is filling up, and they are all free for the picking.

Plenty of apple sauce, apple pie & apple jelly coming up, eh, BigBilly?? Just out of curiosity, how long do apples stay fresh in suitable storage??

Post by Guest on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 4:51 pm

The apples keep quite well Joy. We keep them in the dark as much as possible, and so they are not touching each other in the trays. Some keep o lot better than others but the Bramleys are usually the last. The last to be used were in the first week in April, a bit wrinkly but still fine. We look at them once a week and if any look a bit dodgy get them out, cook them,and what we don't eat put in the freezer. But such a versatile fruit ,you can do so much with them.

Re the camera, its always fairly near, to try and catch the moment so to speak.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 5:29 pm

Many years ago, our greengrocer showed me a case of beautiful looking Golden Delicious apples he had just found at the back of their cold storage unit. It had been there for more than a year & was from the previous season's harvest. I bought some as they looked s-o-o-o-o good & they definitely lived up to their name. They were truly delicious. The best I had tasted in a long time. :love:

Have you ever used a dehydrator, BigBilly?? I have often wondered just how good they would be. Dried apple slices are a lovely snack.

My camera & I are, seldom, far from each other, too, BB. :whistle:

Post by Guest on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 6:20 pm

No Joy i haven't used a dehydrator, often looked longingly at the adverts but they are a bit pricey for us, well over 200 pounds. What i have done though is dried apple slices in the Rayburn warming oven, ( but its not fired up for the winter yet ) and they are good.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:20 pm

That certainly is expensive, BigBilly. Have seen much cheaper ones on the web, such as Sunbeam dehydrators, which look to be very good but some other brands are definitely very dear. Your Rayburn warming oven would be a great alternative to a dehydrator, especially as it would be in action anyway. Makes good sense. :good:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:39 am

You can always can a few jars of apples. They make apple sauce and apple butter around my area this time of the year.

BBilly you have a great selection of delicious looking apples.

Post by Guest on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 6:48 am

Had a look round the veggie garden after my time away, pole beans all finished so took them down, but the very late sown ones are six foot up the wire, doubt if they will do any good though. Brussels sprouts have bad attack of whitefly so stripped most of the leaves off. Really good crop though. Cleared the remaining tomatoes. Most other stuff ok. Lots of work to do now

The late sown runner beans.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 10:32 am

Had never heard of whitefly, BigBilly, so I Googled them. They are nasty little critters, aren't they?? Do hope they didn't cause too much damage to your plants. The Brussel sprouts themselves look good, so was it just the plant's leaves that were damaged by the whiteflies??

The beans are determined to have a go at growing something, eh?? :lol:

Yes, I'd imagine there would be plenty to do in a garden the size of your's, BB, especially to get it ready for winter.

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date. :good:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 01 Nov 2011, 1:50 pm

Wow I gotta grow some Brussels sprouts

Post by Guest on Tue 01 Nov 2011, 5:52 pm

Joy wrote:Had never heard of whitefly, BigBilly, so I Googled them. They are nasty little critters, aren't they?? Do hope they didn't cause too much damage to your plants. The Brussel sprouts themselves look good, so was it just the plant's leaves that were damaged by the whiteflies??

The beans are determined to have a go at growing something, eh??

Yes, I'd imagine there would be plenty to do in a garden the size of your's, BB, especially to get it ready for winter.

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

Not too much damage Joy, mainly the leaves so i think i have caught it in time, but don't hold out much hope for the late beans.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 01 Nov 2011, 8:45 pm

That is good news about the Brussels sprouts, BigBilly, shame about the beans though. Hopefully they will have done the soil some good, though, with their growth spurt. :D

Post by Guest on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 7:06 am

Had a really miserable weather week, so time for a bit of reflection.

Grew over 30 different fruit and veggies, not all perfectly ,but the freezers are bursting at the seams and the shelves are pretty full of preserves of one sort or another. We have been given nearly two cwt of apples for just picking them, look at them once a week and any that look dodgy are taken out of store and peeled and tidied up then cooked quickly and frozen or eaten.

On the whole we are pleased with our efforts even if it was tiring at times but now look forward to eating everything
    PS The late beans didn't do any good so the chickens had them.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:51 am

So sorry about your weather, BigBilly. I do hope the reflections on your garden, & its wonderful produce, gave you a nice warm glow of the satisfaction of a job well done. You will have plenty of good stuff for your winter meals which should make you feel really proud. :bravo:

More than 30 different fruits & veggies is fantastic & will give you both such a varied diet. Good stuff.

A cwt of apples. Had forgotten what a cwt was. :rofl: Vaguely remembered it was a hundredweight then had to Google it to see how much that weighed. :lol!: We have had metric weights for so long now. :roll: Found out the Imperial cwt was just over 50kgs & the US cwt is about 45kgs. That is a lot of apples. You will have plenty for pies, sauces or eating fresh. No doubt the "girls" would eat the peels.

Speaking of the girls, you swapped beans for eggs, eh?? :D

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 6:24 pm

BIGBILLY21 wrote:Had a really miserable weather week, so time for a bit of reflection.

Grew over 30 different fruit and veggies, not all perfectly ,but the freezers are bursting at the seams and the shelves are pretty full of preserves of one sort or another. We have been given nearly two cwt of apples for just picking them, look at them once a week and any that look dodgy are taken out of store and peeled and tidied up then cooked quickly and frozen or eaten.

On the whole we are pleased with our efforts even if it was tiring at times but now look forward to eating everything
    PS The late beans didn't do any good so the chickens had them.

Not to refute anything you are saying but I would say very near perfect :) , I have noticed in our shops not sure if it is the same where you are the organic produce always looks "home grown". Which is the perfect state The other produce almost unatural in look, I think the only way they can grow produce that is free of dents or marks or bug stings is by pouring a whole lot of stuff on them which alters the flavour?. I remember growing up on home grown vegetables there is nothing to compare with the flavour. I am quite envious of all your efforts. You can be very proud.

Post by Guest on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 7:35 am

Oh how i agree with you Dawn re the organic veggies, so what if they look a bit home made ,i know how difficult it is to grow the perfect looking one, so what is put on or in them to get those unatural looking perfect specimens i shudder to think and i don't care if my cucumbers do go a bit bent, and the tomatoes aren't all the same size.

Here's some pics of the veggies i hope to over winter outside

Sprouting broccolli

Parsnips / spring cabbage.

Brussels sprouts

Carrots

Spring onions

Leeks

Curley kale

All sorts

The girls doing a cleaning job.

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 8:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 10:01 am

That is quite a few different sorts of veggies you are going to over winter, BigBilly. Some of which I thought I actually recognised. :D It is good to see them all. Is that curly kale in the 7th pic or something different?? That is what the kale my mother grew, once, looked like anyway. Also, is that polythene sheeting on the bed where the Brussels sprouts are growing?? Do hope they all do well during winter.

Guess you can look at all those fallen leaves from the beech trees as free mulch, I suppose.

The girls must love their life in your garden, scratching around & eating top tucker. :smile:

Post by Guest on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 8:27 pm

Joy wrote:That is quite a few different sorts of veggies you are going to over winter, BigBilly. Some of which I thought I actually recognised. :D It is good to see them all. Is that curly kale in the 7th pic or something different?? That is what the kale my mother grew, once, looked like anyway. Also, is that polythene sheeting on the bed where the Brussels sprouts are growing?? Do hope they all do well during winter.

Guess you can look at all those fallen leaves from the beech trees as free mulch, I suppose.

The girls must love their life in your garden, scratching around & eating top tucker. :smile:

Yes Joy it is curly kale. The black stuff on the ground is a porous weed suppresant membrane, I try and grow all my brassicas through it as it save a lot of work weeding
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:05 am

That porous weed suppressant cloth sounds like a really nifty idea, BigBilly. There was a craze here, years ago, for gardeners to use black, non-porous polythene sheeting on their gardens as a weed suppressant but it stopped water from reaching the plant roots, as well as becoming very hot from the sun, & made life very hard for the plants they were trying to grow. :sheesh:

Post by Guest on Tue 22 Nov 2011, 3:20 pm

Billy you are the most amazing gardener, a man of the earth .I do love touring through your garden ,it brings back so msny memories of my childhood growing up on the farm.Thank you for the pleasure you bring.. :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

Post by Guest on Tue 13 Dec 2011, 5:50 am

Wow..fantastic planting spaces BB
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 14 Dec 2011, 4:51 am

BBilly, are your spring onions the same as I call winter onions? Winter onions survive the winter's cold and freezing conditions and sprout up new in the spring. Right now I have green portions that can be picked.

Next time I get pictures I will take one of the onions. Also the lettuce and spinach is still hanging on.

Post by Guest on Wed 14 Dec 2011, 6:21 am

The spring onions that I grow are salad types Glad, not grown for their bulbs but for the white and green stems. There are two sorts, one for over-wintering, sown in late summer and picked in spring. The other for sowing in early spring at intervals, either under cover or in the garden for use throughout the year. Picked the last of the summer crop in late November this year, but its been a mild autumn.

Still have some perpetual spinach to pick but the lettuce has about had it as we are having sharp frosts now.

All the Brascicas are doing well so far with the Brussels sprouts being very good
    this year.

Carrots and parsnips are still fine in the ground.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:27 am

So pleased to hear that all is going well with your veggie garden, BigBilly. Do hope your winter will not be too harsh, for you & your plants, this year.

Post by Guest on Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:01 pm

The winter garden.
    Carrots, Brussels sprouts, Spring cabbage, Spinach, Lettuce, Strawberry bed, Parsnips and Leeks.

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 12:33 am