OUR IMAGES

BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

default Re: BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

Post by Guest on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 4:56 pm

Thanks for the comments Joy & Glad.

Re the fungus Glad Have never seen it here. Had to get out with supports yesterday though as we had the winds from what were the American hurricanes and the sweet corn and brussels sprouts were getting blown over. Hope we have managed to rescue most of them.

A friend is bringing us some windfall apples over today, so will put the best in store and cut the best out of the damaged ones for freezing after cooking.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:33 pm

Oh BBilly I heard the UK might get the winds from the hurricane that the USA did not get last week. Glad your garden did not get to much damage from it.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 15 Sep 2011, 10:13 am

Yes, we also heard that parts of England were going to get battered by Katia, etc, but did hope you would not experience these awful winds, BigBilly. Do so hope you were able to save your plants. Plenty of apple pie & crumble coming up, with the windfall apples, eh?? :smile:

Post by Guest on Sun 18 Sep 2011, 12:27 am

Just out of the oven. What we do when its too wet in the garden. Have ground some wheat at home as an experiment will be an interesting taste test.

Bruce

Post by Bruce on Sun 18 Sep 2011, 2:07 am

BIGBILLY21 wrote:Just out of the oven. What we do when its too wet in the garden. Have ground some wheat at home as an experiment will be an interesting taste test.
    YUMM :D
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 18 Sep 2011, 7:10 am

The yummy smells coming from your kitchen must make your neighbours green with envy, BigBilly. :cool4: There is nothing quite like the smell of bread cooking, is there?? :cool: The bread, rolls & scones definitely look better than bought.

You must have ground quite a bit of wheat to be able to bake all of that, BB. They should taste great, too. :bravo:

Post by Guest on Sun 18 Sep 2011, 9:37 am

Billy I have just passed an enjoyable hour viewing English Garden posts :smile: :goodone: :good: :bravo: and I am amazed at you talent at baking breads growing vegetables , and excellent photography .Congratulations all round Billy I can see you really get the most from life.Lovely to see. :good: :bravo: :sun: :wow: :rooster: :rooster:

Post by Guest on Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:37 pm

Thanks Bruiser, Joy and Pixie, We both enjoy cooking and with the veggie garden try to eat sensibly. The wheat came from a local farm and was given to my son for the chickens, but when i saw the quality of it thought i would have a go at making flour, using an old hand coffee bean grinder, works a treat. As for the smell Joy, its neary as good as the taste which is brilliant. Have to confess though we only used 50% of the home ground and 50% bought flour for this first try. Most of it is now in the freezer.

As for talent Pixie, not sure about that, I think that as a farm worker from leaving school, being on a low wage for many years, and having 3 kids under 3, you just develop certain skills which enable you to have a better life.

A wise old farm worker told me many years ago, " Life isn't a rehearsal boy, you only get one shot at it,so make the most of it " I have never forgotton those words because they are SO true.

Ok folks sermon over, have a real good day.

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 18 Sep 2011, 8:51 pm

As Bruiser says, you & your wife have done good, BigBilly. :bravo: Now you can both enjoy the fruits of your considerable labour.
    This is wonderful. :good:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:30 am

Bread looks delicious BBilly. Did you freeze some of it for a later day?

Post by Guest on Mon 19 Sep 2011, 5:23 pm

Yes Glad, Have frozen the bread that we aren't using straight away, freezes very well. We usually do a fairly big batch while we are at it with the oven on. We are on the bottled gas oven at the moment, as we don't normally fire up the Rayburn till October

Post by Guest on Wed 21 Sep 2011, 9:45 pm

Leek bed

Spring cabbage Runner beans below

Post by Guest on Wed 21 Sep 2011, 9:55 pm

Billy those beans look so yum .runner beans are a favourite with me. :smile:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:17 am

Very healthy looking beans BBilly.

It doesn't look like I will get any beans this fall but it was fun planting them. Just depends on when frost arrives. (The beans are just now showing signs of blooms.)

Post by Guest on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 3:58 am

The late beans that i planted are about 3 foot up the wire Glad, but i am not very hopeful of getting much of a crop, but you never know, Still getting some veg out of the garden, and the brassicas are all looking good.

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 8:54 am

Can see potato & leek soup coming up for winter sustenance, BigBilly. Delicious. :smile: You will, almost certainly, get a feed of beans, too, I feel. Does the spring cabbage grow right through the winter??

Pardon my ignorance of such things, as we always seem to have cabbage available in our supermarkets, no matter what time of the year it is. It does seem to be growing season, somewhere in Oz, throughout the year.

What a great veggie garden. :cool3:

Post by Guest on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 4:50 pm

Yes Joy, the spring cabbage does grow right through the winter, and is ready for cutting early spring when other veggies are scarce. If you grow the right sort of brassicas its possible to have them throughout the year.

Other winter "Greens" that we grow are, sprouts, purple & white sprouting broccolli, curly kale, winter cabbage & red cabbage, ( pickle this ) carrots , leeks & parsnips stay in the ground also to be dug as required.

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed a word)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 5:35 pm

It does sound as though your winter veggie needs are well catered for, BigBilly. :bravo: They will go well with the hearty food needed to help sustain one through the colder winter months. :good: You & your wife, most certainly, do eat well. :cool3:

Post by Guest on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 6:46 pm

Billy , both you and your wife must be so healthy ,there is nothing like home grown fresh vegetables...Having been brought up on a farm growing chooks and market garden I know the value of FRESH .

Post by Guest on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 8:18 pm

Does this bring back memories Pixie. Some of the girls that keep us and two of our children in eggs , and do a bit of pest control too. We also sell enough eggs to pay for the food.

Yes the fresh food does taste good, And we know exactly whats gone into growing it too.

Post by Guest on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 8:24 pm

Joy wrote:It does sound as though your winter veggie needs are well catered for, BigBilly. They will go well with the hearty food needed to help sustain one through the colder winter months. You & your wife, most certainly, do eat well.

Two lots of pleasure Joy, one growing and one eating, but also helps alot with the food costs

Post by Guest on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 9:29 pm

Billy thank's so much, your chooks brought back suck wonderful memories . :smile:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:59 pm

BIGBILLY21 wrote:Yes Joy, the spring cabbage does grow right through the winter, and is ready for cutting early spring when other veggies are scarce. If you grow the right sort of brassicas its possible to have them throughout the year.

Other winter "Greens" that we grow are, sprouts, purple & white sprouting broccolli, curly kale, winter cabbage & red cabbage, ( pickle this ) carrots , leeks & parsnips stay in the ground also to be dug as required.

Wish you were here to help me plan a winter garden. I am doing good to plan the spring garden.

I admire your efforts BBilly and they pay off with a supply of veggies for you all year 'round.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:38 pm

Love your chooks, BigBilly. They look to be some very fine girls. :good: In the second pic, where they are roosting, they look to be having a gossip.
    It is a great shot. :sun:

Post by Guest on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 1:30 am

Yes Joy the chooks were up to roost, pic taken as i was about to shut the door.

Post by Guest on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 1:37 am

The apple store is filling up, and they are all free for the picking.

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 12:37 am