OUR IMAGES

BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

Post by Joy on Tue 16 Aug 2011, 7:38 am

What a top shot, BigBilly!!! :photos: That is a perfect capture!! :bravo: It is a shame this pretty little butterfly can cause such destruction. Guess its caterpillars need to eat something, but it is a shame they don't prefer to eat weeds instead of cabbages. :cranky:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:15 pm

They are pretty little insects but can do great damage. I am like you Joy it is a shame.

Post by Guest on Thu 18 Aug 2011, 9:22 pm

More insects in the garden

Think this is called Garden Tiger Moth

The ants are swarming for the second time this year

Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 4:39 am

Is this moth destructive BBilly?
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:04 am

Googled the garden tiger moth, BigBilly, & see it is classified as in need of habitat protection, because its numbers have declined by 89% over recent times. Your specimen certainly looks similar to the garden tiger moth images shown in Google.

The caterpillars' diet does not seem to include veggies, though, & they are said to be fond of the leaves of raspberry, blackberry, viburnum, honeysuckle, erica, and broom, in particular. All of these can afford to donate some leaves to the cause of keeping these critters from becoming extinct. :D

Where we live, we can tell when ants are swarming, ready to fly off elsewhere, as flocks of Welcome swallows arrive from their normal waterside habitat, & swoop & dive & dart about as they chase the flying ants. Even spangled drongoes, martins & other larger swallows will join in the feeding frenzy. We once had these ants with wings, swarming, on a wall, inside our home!! :aargh: :omg: Meanwhile, our resident skinks take care of some of the ants scurrying about our plants on the patios. Not that I want all the ants to be eaten, as they saved our precious adenium obesum from dying by removing all the wet rot tissue from its caudex & stopped this from spreading.

More great image captures, BigBilly. :photos: :cool3: :thankyou:

Post by Guest on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 4:45 pm

[quote="Glad E Olah"]Is this moth destructive BBilly?[/quote

Not aware of damage by this moth Glad, but we don't see many of them at all anyway.

Post by Guest on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 4:55 pm

Joy wrote:Googled the garden tiger moth, BigBilly, & see it is classified as in need of habitat protection, because its numbers have declined by 89% over recent times. Your specimen certainly looks similar to the garden tiger moth images shown in Google.

The caterpillars' diet does not seem to include veggies, though, & they are said to be fond of the leaves of raspberry, blackberry, viburnum, honeysuckle, erica, and broom, in particular. All of these can afford to donate some leaves to the cause of keeping these critters from becoming extinct.

Where we live, we can tell when ants are swarming, ready to fly off elsewhere, as flocks of Welcome swallows arrive from their normal waterside habitat, & swoop & dive & dart about as they chase the flying ants. Even spangled drongoes, martins & other larger swallows will join in the feeding frenzy. We once had these ants with wings, swarming, on a wall, inside our home!! Meanwhile, our resident skinks take care of some of the ants scurrying about our plants on the patios. Not that I want all the ants to be eaten, as they saved our precious adenium obesum from dying by removing all the wet rot tissue from its caudex & stopped this from spreading.

More great image captures, BigBilly.

Thanks for the info on the moth Joy. Didn't realise it was under threat, but have to admit we see very few of them and like you say certainly don't begrudge them a few leaves.

Same here with the ants, when they swarm the birds are soon round. Our ants are under the slabs of the bird feed area, have been there for several years.

Very interesting to hear how they saved your plant.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:06 pm

Must :blush2: here, BigBilly, because when I initially saw the ants coming in & out of our adenium obesum, I sprayed with some insecticide. Silly me, but, fortunately, do not think this was an ant killing spray. Had seen them carrying tiny pieces of white stuff away from the plant. When I finally investigated the area of the adenium's caudex, where the wet rot was, I found a tissue thin layer of skin over a hole. Poked my finger into it & found smooth healthy wood with all wet rot gone. It was then that I realised what the ants had been doing.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 11:44 pm

Thanks BigBilly. It is a pretty insect.

Post by Guest on Sun 21 Aug 2011, 8:48 pm

Other critters that live in our garden. Field Voles

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 21 Aug 2011, 8:57 pm

What a cute little critter, BigBilly. It would be so easy to mistake it for a mouse, at first glance, followed by an eeeeeeeeeeeeeek!! :lol2: Just like we mistook an antechinus for a mouse, when it became lost inside our place, but like the field vole, its head was different than that of a mouse.

Another great wildlife capture, too. :photos:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 22 Aug 2011, 6:36 am

Cute but I too would have thought it to be a mouse or maybe a rat??

What is the difference between a mole and a vole? Moles love to tear up your yard and you can see mounds of dirt at each end of their trail.

Do voles eat much of your veggies?

Post by Guest on Mon 22 Aug 2011, 5:54 pm

Definately a vole Glad, wrong shape for a mouse and not big enough for a rat, and wrong shape head for both of them. These cute little critters live around and under the bird feeding area. Don't do any damage to the veggies in our garden but there's always bird food around. Mainly shades of brown.

The mole is a lovely silky black, rarely seen above ground and can cause problems in the garden. We don't often get them but if we do takes steps to get rid of them. They appear if we empty the compost bins on the gardens, looking for those juicy worms.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 22 Aug 2011, 11:38 pm

Thanks BBilly.

So moles live under ground (I knew that part) and voles live above ground (I didn't know that). We have had moles in our yard and neighbor's yard.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:19 pm

We have neither down here in Aussieland. :lol2:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:29 pm

Joy wrote:We have neither down here in Aussieland.

Well you are lucky not to have moles. They can tear up a yard and garden quick.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:36 pm

Sure are, Glad, but in parts of Australia there are wombats & they are regular bulldozers when it comes to tearing up someone's garden. :lol2:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:37 pm

wombats?
    What do they look like?

Post by Guest on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 1:42 am

Some pics from the autumn garden

Spiders webs in the morning

Still some blossom on the runner beans

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : captions)
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 1:50 am

Interesting pictures of spiderwebs with droplets of rain.

Thanks BBilly.

Have you experienced frost yet? With the temps cooling down here we might get frost before much longer. It has been known to happen this early but normally in October for my area. If frost comes there goes my fall garden but I did enjoy planting it. Frost is unpredictable and that is the chance a gardener has to take.

Post by Guest on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:11 am

No frosts here yet Glad, but its certainly getting a lot cooler. October is uually the month when we get at least one sharp one, but just have to keep an eye on the weather forcasts and get ready to cover up.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 8:41 am

What wonderful spiderweb images, BigBilly!! :bravo: Do love them. :love: The second one looks like a delicate hammock. I am surprised at the amount of water it can support. Spiders build such strong webs, don't they??

We are still having some dew on the grass in the early morning, though, I must confess it is 25 years since Bruiser & I have seen a frost. That was a very light frost & a one off. :D It is much further back than that since I have ever lived anywhere which had frosts. :cold: I do hope you & Glad have a while to go before you experience them this autumn.

That is such a pretty flower the beans have & it is good to see they are still functioning as though there is plenty of time yet to grow their goodies, BB. :good: Maybe you will be able to pick some frozen beans. :lol!: Sorry, could not resist that bad joke. :blush2:

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 8:27 pm

Having some nice sweet corn at the moment, plant to plate in 15mins, absolutely scrummy.

To the folks who question whether its worth growing your own veg, OOOOOH YES it really is.

At the moment we are picking,

apples,beans,beetroot,broccolli,basil,cauliflower,cucumber,carrots,courgettes,cabbage,lettuce,peppers,parsnip,

radish,spinach,spring onions and tomatoes. Really makes the hard work worth it, and the saving on bought veggies is terrific at the moment.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 8:45 pm

My goodness, you certainly have a bountiful veggie garden, BigBilly. That is a very impressive list of produce you have harvested from it, all due to your hard work & clever gardening skills. :bravo:

Love that sweet corn. Reminds me of when my mother had a small veggie garden. She had a row of sweet corn, as well as other veggies, & we usually ate the sweet corn raw, straight off the plant. It tasted so good. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:41 pm

Your corn is beautiful BBilly!

Did you ever have trouble with the fungus that grows on the corn stalks? (smut I think) If so how do you get rid of it? This is the reason I haven't tried growing corn in a very long time. May give it a try next year.

Post by Guest on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 4:56 pm

Thanks for the comments Joy & Glad.

Re the fungus Glad Have never seen it here. Had to get out with supports yesterday though as we had the winds from what were the American hurricanes and the sweet corn and brussels sprouts were getting blown over. Hope we have managed to rescue most of them.

A friend is bringing us some windfall apples over today, so will put the best in store and cut the best out of the damaged ones for freezing after cooking.

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:49 pm